View Full Version : Gotta love old cars...

Prince Valiant
05-18-2008, 03:29 PM
...fried my ignition today :mad:

Soon-to-be uncle-inlaw was checking out the coronet at a family BBQ today and I asked if he wanted a ride.

"Sounds great"

Car wouldn't start, so I check for fuel...check.

Spark (I used the inductive timing gun)....no go.

Figure it's likely the ballast resistor...get the check light to see where the current is stopping...put the car in the on position. Before I even check the first point (ignition), I see the smoke...all over. Along the firewall wiring, under the dash to the ignition, etc.


I hate wiring. At least the car didn't burn down :goof

If anyone knows anyone who does automotive wiring, I might just beg this off on them.

05-18-2008, 04:03 PM
I feel your pain... happened to me about 5 years ago... not fun!
All the wires were melted together, luckily it didn't spread any further than that.



05-19-2008, 07:59 AM
wow, that really sucks Chris!

Prince Valiant
05-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah...looks like the ballast shorted. Wire's don't look to bad, should hopefully be up and going in the next week or two.

05-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Sorry to hear of your roasted wires. It's no fun rewiring.