PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Internet

97PontiacW68
11-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Hey this is for all you computer smart guys out there.. What is the best high speed most reliable internet service out there that isnt too expensive. I have RoadRunner right now and I cannot stand it! I can't go one week without having problems with the service network being down.. We have three computers hooked up to one router right now and it just seems like RoadRunner can't handle it or something.. so please guys help me out here.. I need a better internet service.. (Im on dial up right now and it ******* sucks! :mad: .. Thanks guys

Mark

Pantera99GS
11-05-2005, 02:44 PM
I've never had problems with Road Runner. Your only other option really is DSL, and depending on where you live, it might not even be available. You have to be within 15,000feet of a phone box office if I remember correctly- and your speed is distance dependent as well. And I've heard a lot of nightmare stories about SBC's service as well, not to mention that in order to get a cheap monthly rate you typically have to sign a year long contract with them.

If you have three computers hooked up, it would really depend on the type of stuff your downloading.

SlowStee
11-05-2005, 02:46 PM
switch to earthlink cable....time warner sets up the lines, but its cheaper than road runner, and faster

97PontiacW68
11-05-2005, 02:56 PM
switch to earthlink cable....time warner sets up the lines, but its cheaper than road runner, and faster
Does that mean id have to buy another additional phone line for that service?

A B4C Z
11-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Roadrunner here also. Love it ya very rarely it goes out for a second or 2 but its back on almost instantly. Also have 3 computers keeps up with it fine.

Kyle

pOrk
11-05-2005, 03:28 PM
We just switched from Road Runner to SBC DSL and Cable to Satellite and we are saving 25 bucks a month, and still have over 100 channels of nothing to watch on TV. I must say the internet works much better, we also had alot of problems with Road Runner cutting out constantly.

SlowStee
11-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Does that mean id have to buy another additional phone line for that service?
no

Cryptic
11-05-2005, 04:01 PM
my road runner was going down constantly...

I wasnt serviced for over 4 years.. they came out replaced the modem, the cable drop, and a bunch of stuff on the pole and all is good now.

They didnt fuss about doing it either. Have you called tech support. They should send someone out if your having issues.

Slow Joe
11-05-2005, 04:51 PM
I've never had any problems with my cable... It might be a problem with router settings? Wireless network? I have Road runner, and we have 5 PCs in the house... 3 are wireless 2 are wired.. And I have a linksys router... so yeah what kinda equipment do you have?

wikked
11-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Yea... we used to have problems with RR back a few years ago, they replaced the lines/modem, and we also got a signal amplifier (great investment for $50!).
Haven't had a problem in a longgggg time.

DSL is absolute junk :gay
I've used it at a few peoples houses, didn't seem any faster than dialup.

Anakonda69
11-05-2005, 05:42 PM
since moving to new berlin i got sbc dsl and its way better and faster then the rr i had in milwaukee.....thing is the remote terminal for the dsl is like 1/4 mile from my house....so yes with dsl it all depends on where u live.....

Karps TA
11-05-2005, 06:12 PM
One thing with Roadrunner is you need to make sure you don't split the signal too much. I used to have problems all the time at first cause I split my cable to 5 different areas. What I ended up doing was getting a 2 way splitter, running 1 directly to the modem, the other runs to a 4 way amplifier/splitter. I never have issues anymore. Been holding up for the last 2 years. If I used a 3 or 4 way splitter and tried running one of those lines to the modem, I would lose the connection randomly.

Rocket Power
11-05-2005, 06:35 PM
so yes with dsl it all depends on where u live.....
I am in dsl no man's land in West Allis here. They say I am 400 ft from being able to get it. I thought I would try it to save some cash but I can't get it :fire
So I still have roadrunner for $50/ month.

Ricky Bobby
11-05-2005, 07:42 PM
some of the older routers from roadrunner need an update and if ur router is not from time warner then they dont support it but if its our router we should swap if out with a newer one with the updates for ya

were ya live gimme a shout i work for time warner/ cable/rr/phone i do it all :thumbsup

Cryptic
11-05-2005, 08:20 PM
in fact alot of the old modems are not compatible with RR since they bumped the download speeds up to 5mbps. Make the call, they'll fix it.

If they cant, its prolly your junk.

Ricky Bobby
11-05-2005, 08:34 PM
277-4000 if u have digital phone dial 611

Anakonda69
11-06-2005, 02:55 PM
I am in dsl no man's land in West Allis here. They say I am 400 ft from being able to get it. I thought I would try it to save some cash but I can't get it :fire
So I still have roadrunner for $50/ month.

yeah same for me in the city....and remote terminal was still being built so i got rr....so happy with my dsl out here though

Ricky Bobby
08-28-2006, 09:41 PM
Yea... we used to have problems with RR back a few years ago, they replaced the lines/modem, and we also got a signal amplifier (great investment for $50!).
Haven't had a problem in a longgggg time.

DSL is absolute junk :gay
I've used it at a few peoples houses, didn't seem any faster than dialup.
so have u guys had better luck since i came out and switched the amp i called ya like twice to check but no answer

Lash
08-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Never had problems with my RR here.

Had SBC DSL (now AT&T) and it was nothing but problems.....plus they would overbill us EVERY month. Had to sit on the phone for 30+ minutes every month to get the bill adjusted.

BadAzzGTA89
08-28-2006, 10:09 PM
http://www.rsd.k12.az.us/~valley/Soaring/Contributions/CoyoteRoadrunner/roadrunner.gif
Is the smit

Slow Joe
08-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Holy year old thread... I moved and am still doing good with RR, no problems at all... :thumbsup

titan dohc v8
08-29-2006, 12:22 AM
RR is expensive but i never had any probs with it:thumbsup . got 2 computers that are wireless and 1 thats wired, but its messed up.

they should drop the price some for people that had it a while, could use a lil' extra gas money:D

RyanM
08-29-2006, 01:02 AM
Have had RR for about 5 or 6 years now I think and its great. I am getting exactly what I pay for (speedtests indicate 4.7-4.8mbps, paying for 5.0), and sometimes 7+ computers are running at once here.

Ricky Bobby
08-29-2006, 03:13 PM
yea we might be uping it again to 7 or something like that not sure ill keep yall posted :thumbsup

Karps TA
08-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Hey Gunmetal

So if I have a a cable modem from Time Warner that's like 3 years old, can I just bring it into a Time Warner place and get a new one? Will I see I difference?

Ricky Bobby
08-29-2006, 08:07 PM
if its the shark fin u need to trade it in otherwise no

2kgtp
08-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Mm Road Runner Premium. If they up the bandwith on the basic, ill downgrade. Keep us posted. Thanks!

Ricky Bobby
08-30-2006, 03:04 PM
no problem should know in the next month or so

Karps TA
08-30-2006, 03:14 PM
if its the shark fin u need to trade it in otherwise no

Shark fin? Does that mean it's rounded? Mines an upright white box with a blue button on top that sometimes turns it on and off. lol

Ricky Bobby
08-31-2006, 03:31 PM
yes thats a 41 or 4200 they are good modems swappin out wont get u anything better till we upg.