PDA

View Full Version : A4 guys help...

SlowStee
11-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Think I have a tranny problem here....

usually when you put the shifter in 2nd when going 50 the RPMS immediately fly up...however, this isnt happening - not anymore..with ANY gear

its like im in neutral If my foot isnt on the gas :stare ...then if I touch my foot to the gas it like jumps the gear its suppose to be in...this cant be good...JUST started doing it today

Syclone0044
11-04-2005, 02:10 PM
So if I'm understanding your description right - you lost the "engine braking"? When you downshift it doesn't slow the vehicle at all anymore like it used to, and just acts like it's in neutral? That same thing happened on my Syclone a while ago, they said it was either the "overrun clutches" or the "overrun piston" but it's a sign the tranny is on its way out. However, reports of "how much time is left" widely varied. One guy said he drove 40,000 more miles after his went out. I got about 6-9 more hard months out of mine after that.

When mine went out I had little silver metal shavings in my tranny pan (a bit more than the usual little dust). I cleaned it out and went drag racing immediately the next day and set my personal best time. So if it's the same thing as mine - it won't hurt your WOT performance immediately but after a while the tranny may go out altogether, and be a little annoying to drive in the meantime.

SlowStee
11-04-2005, 02:14 PM
So if I'm understanding your description right - you lost the "engine braking"? When you downshift it doesn't slow the vehicle at all anymore like it used to, and just acts like it's in neutral? That same thing happened on my Syclone a while ago, they said it was either the "overrun clutches" or the "overrun piston" but it's a sign the tranny is on its way out. However, reports of "how much time is left" widely varied. One guy said he drove 40,000 more miles after his went out. I got about 6-9 more hard months out of mine after that.

When mine went out I had little silver metal shavings in my tranny pan (a bit more than the usual little dust). I cleaned it out and went drag racing immediately the next day and set my personal best time. So if it's the same thing as mine - it won't hurt your WOT performance immediately but after a while the tranny may go out altogether, and be a little annoying to drive in the meantime.

The tranny is less than 30K old too BTW...

And that does sound about right josh....This is definately bad

Syclone0044
11-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Inspect the pan & magnet, and change the fluid & filter, thats where I always start if a functioning tranny develops a new problem.

Too bad yours is a 94 otherwise I'd tell you to ask UnderPSI about his $800 Kilpatrick's 4L60-E he's selling, it sounded like a bad ass tranny at an excellent price. I am not very knowledgeable on F-Bodies but I think the 94 trannys are different than the LS1 trannies :(

SlowStee
11-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Inspect the pan & magnet, and change the fluid & filter, thats where I always start if a functioning tranny develops a new problem.

Too bad yours is a 94 otherwise I'd tell you to ask UnderPSI about his $800 Kilpatrick's 4L60-E he's selling, it sounded like a bad ass tranny at an excellent price. I am not very knowledgeable on F-Bodies but I think the 94 trannys are different than the LS1 trannies :(
Yeah the bellhousings dont swap...

Either way this thing will probably end up at Kilpatricks, because thats where the tranny was done. Looks like this is my fault for manually downshift occasionally....Hopefully this wont be too costly and require a full rebuild AGAIN...cuz Ill be ****ed

FOCK

0TransAm0
11-04-2005, 02:40 PM
sux to hear it.. espesially something thats going to cost alot to get fixed.. good luck with it..

SlowStee
11-04-2005, 02:43 PM
sux to hear it.. espesially something thats going to cost alot to get fixed.. good luck with it..
very worst case scenario...Ill end up with an extreme build on it. My cam swap will be ****ed for next year though..

number1
11-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Torque converter or clutch bands. Fluid starvation? Tranny fluid overheating?

Heat Seeker WS6
11-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Thats exactly what mine started to do and then all of a sudden 3rd & 4th gears stopped engaging all together. Good luck with yours.

SlowStee
11-05-2005, 01:37 PM
I called Kilpatricks and they want the car in by them....So we'll see how much this costs me

UnderPSI
11-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Good Luck

97z2801ss
11-07-2005, 09:41 AM
yea Julio I blew up my trans over the summer pretty bad i guess... But i never manually shift it.. Good luck with it homie..

97PontiacW68
11-07-2005, 10:47 AM
i had the same problem in the summer.. for me it was the torque converter.. not ahorrible fix but a neccessary one

juicedimpss
11-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Looks like this is my fault for manually downshift occasionally....
FOCK
that shouldnt cause the problem,if the trans was done right the first time. There are plenty of us that manually shift our transmissions and dont have problems.

SlowStee
11-16-2005, 11:25 AM
that shouldnt cause the problem,if the trans was done right the first time. There are plenty of us that manually shift our transmissions and dont have problems.
Manually shifting a 4l60E without a manual valve body?

juicedimpss
11-16-2005, 11:31 AM
I never broke mine,and drove that way all summer :)

SlowStee
11-16-2005, 01:25 PM
I never broke mine,and drove that way all summer :)
My formula Just sucks I guess :D

Still waiting to hear what the damage is gonna be from Kilpatricks :(

juicedimpss
11-16-2005, 04:05 PM
good luck

Syclone0044
11-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Yeah I manually shift my 4L60 (700R4) all the time with no problems.

SlowStee
11-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Well I pick up the car tomorrow...

Problem: Some kind of line blew off the clutch causing the "engine braking" to no longer function

Solution: $250 (which sucks)

:)

juicedimpss
11-17-2005, 04:10 PM
could have been worse....glad its fixed for you