PDA

View Full Version : First Gen ID info?

d0nut
10-31-2005, 08:55 AM
Can anyone here help me out with IDing a first gen Camaro? Right now it's a rolling 68 shell that was a drag car for a long time. The 2nd owner contacted me and said the orig owner told him that it was a SS396 4 speed car. I know nothing says this on the VIN or data plate, GM has no records for US cars to tell me....

The main ID factor that I have been reading is that big blocks had the heater core lines go through the blower box cover and small block/ 6 cyl cars went through the firewall. From what I can tell there is no place on the firewall where the lines went through. I havent gone out and looked at the tail light area for black paint yet but since this car has been abused on the drag strip since 72 or so it has had a few paint jobs.

Anyone know of any other big block ID ideas????

Sean

BAD LS1
10-31-2005, 01:11 PM
Gotta have cowl tag info, if you can give me that etc?? my old man can prolly tell me right away what it is, color, trim, engine, trans etc...

It the tag on the firewall right above the brake master cylinder, write down every # and letter on it.

d0nut
10-31-2005, 01:19 PM
Here is a shot of it. From what I can tell so far it was a butternut yellow sport coupe with a V8 and black std buckets. I called Chevy today and after a 1/2 hr wait they were able to tell me it was in fact a Camaro and was built in 68....

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Sean

BAD LS1
10-31-2005, 01:46 PM
OK ill post up again later tonight all the details

BAD LS1
10-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Below is the copy of the email my dad sent me about that cowl tag:

Tom,

It is a V-8 car but it does not tell you if it was a big block or not, only Mopar's cowl tags I.D.'ed the engines that it was built with. Technically a pro-tect-o plate with the engine I.D. # or the cars build sheet is going to be the only way to tell for sure. You could check fuel lines and the heater cover, that is the best way. It is butternut yellow with black vinyl roof with the standard black vinyl interior... Built in April third week...

The Big blocks do have the lines going right through the blower box, with a rubber grommet that seprates the two lines that follows the contour of the box. The Small block have the lines coming straight through the fire wall.

The other big block tell-tale, is the fuel line, 375HP cars have a single 3/8" line with a brass "T" block under the driver side floor pan area, near the sub frame. The 325-350 hp cars had a dual fuel line setup, one of which was a return line. Im not certain what small block cars had.

d0nut
11-01-2005, 03:34 PM
Hey,

Tell your dad thanks a bunch and thanks to you for asking him for me. From what I can tell it was a small block car (SS350?) at best. It has the holes to the right of where the blower motor plate mounts. The previous owner said it had a BB blower housing in it when he got it and the first owner said it was a 396 car. I doubt that Chevy punched the holes in everything for the std heatercore and then covered them up for BB cars.

Thanks again,
Sean