PDA

View Full Version : Mazda Zoom Zoom Live! report *pics*

Cryptic
10-30-2005, 10:40 PM
Mazda Zoom Zoom Live! pics click me (http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/gallery/zoomzoom2005)

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/albums/zoomzoom2005/IMG_7897.sized.jpg

Today Prince Valiant (Chris), my brother Scott, Magz, and myself went down to Arlington for the Mazda Zoom Zoom Live! This was a free event that let you put the beat down on the MazdaSpeed MX-5 and the RX8 (and the Mazda 3, 5, and 6 but who gives a rats arse about those).

We started our day with all you can eat breakfast at the Iron Skillet off of I-94. Sorta of a tradtion we have doing these events.

They had 4 different events at the Zoom Zoom Live!

1.) Performance Challenge, an MX-5 autocross - objective to beat corse time of 37.5 secs.

2.) Matched Time Gymkhana, Mazda 3, 5, 6 autocross, objective to get 26.000 seconds exactly more points the closer you are to objective.

3.) Jinba Ittia Experience - Golf balls in a bowl of an MX-5 autocross. Objective - keep balls from falling out little bowl into big bowl that is mounted to the hood. Both Scott and Chris nailed the objective being several tenths under, scoring 50 pts each.
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/albums/zoomzoom2005/MX5_golfballs.sized.jpg

4.) Mazda School of Zoom - A quick 10 minute class on proper autocross technique (braking, accellerating, proper lines/turns) followed by a very spirited drive in the RX-8 with an instructor to help hone those mad driving skillz. We all got to do this twice (the line died down to nothing towards the end of show)

Magz having the time of her life LOL
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/albums/zoomzoom2005/rx8_school_of_zoom.sized.jpg

Chris won a die cast MX5 (he was told the first of the day)
Scott won a nice Zoom Zoom ball cap
I took lots of pics and was 10 points short of the hat damn it... But still got a cool Mazda T-Shirt [Special Ed] YEAHHHH [/Special Ed]

We all would of loved to do the first event again but the wait was still 1hr+. So we took off for dinner at Bob Chinn's Crab House (http://www.bobchinns.com/) in Wheeling, IL. We all enjoyed the catch of the day, Charbroiled Hawaiian Ogana.

Had a great time, these events kick ass.

Prince Valiant
10-30-2005, 11:20 PM
It was a great day...perfect weather.

I think the CSX has found a new job, lol.

GTSLOW
10-31-2005, 04:19 AM
I take it they were automatics?

Cryptic
10-31-2005, 07:12 AM

nope, both manual and auto. More manual cars than autos.

The auto's have the manual option as well (paddle shifting or on the stick itself)

Syclone0044
10-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Nan you've really got a serious fixation on manual transmissions, haven't you?? :goof

GrimreaperSS
10-31-2005, 07:13 PM
I would have to agree, the event is kick A**. Being I work for Mazda dealer,We shut down the service dept. last thrusday, some sales personnel, and went to Arlington. Our Deal was a little different than yours though. We got to test/compare the new MX-5 to a Pontiac Soltice (stick) and a BMW Z4 2.5i (auto). And then we got to go to the next track and we were timed. Was a blast! Nice to be able to pound the crap outta the cars. Almost had fast time of the day, then my service advisor came in witha 23.2. I had a 23.6 (both times were in the automatic). If you've ever driven a Miata auto (disappointing), drive the new one, ALOT better!. I then proceeded to go out and turn off the traction control and dynamic stabilty control (stick car). Tires were already shot, got the back end to come full circle on last turn and just stabbed it to the floor. Smoke Gallore! (2nd gear). Was waiting for the instructor to yell at me when I got back, he just said that was some ugly racing :D Lots of other guys taking out cones, especially under the Z4 and Solstice.
I cant wait til next week, I get to fly down to Texas to test out the new Mazdaspeed 6. There will be the same autocross event I am told, except this event is held at a place called the Motorsports Ranch, i.e. a private, "country club", race track. So we also then get to drive this track with a pro- driver, and then the pro-driver takes us around. We also get to compare the car to its competitors. Not sure what they are gonna class this car against, but I am thinking STI and EVO? Thats my best guess. Mazdaspeed 6 is 2.3L turbo, direct injection, 274 or 276 hp, all wheel drive, six speed. Best part of all, Both last thursdays event and this upcoming one are, as always, all expenses paid. :headbang

TransAm12sec
11-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Not bad. So it was an event for Mazda employees and family?

Cryptic
11-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Not bad. So it was an event for Mazda employees and family?

no they had online registration and you could just show up and fill out forms.

check out front page of BCM for video

STEALTHZR2
11-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Looks like you guys ahd fun. I want to try that sometime.

TransAm12sec
11-04-2005, 11:50 PM
I don't see any corner workers.

Cryptic
11-05-2005, 10:53 AM
I don't see any corner workers.

they saw me coming.. and got the fvck out.

actually, they had a few on each track

GTSLOW
11-09-2005, 03:42 AM
Nan you've really got a serious fixation on manual transmissions, haven't you?? :goof

Ya I grew up around em :thumbsup You can thank mike for the continuing addiction.

:rolf who keeps sending me the rep about they're "fast" automatic?

Cryptic
11-14-2005, 08:55 AM
holy crap... I'm up to 80GB of transfer this month (and only half of Nov is over)

Someone is loving this video a little too much :banana1: