PDA

View Full Version : Cordless drills

awsomeears
10-30-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm in the market for a cordless drill and there are alot out there.

Rigid
Milwaukee
Ryobi
Dewalt
Black & Decker
Bosch
Craftsman
Porter Cable
ect. ect.

14v and up im looking to get.

Looking for personal feedback :thumbsup

Ebay has some killer deals on everyone I listed :headbang

SLOWC5
10-30-2005, 10:50 PM
love all my milwaukee products, 3/8" loves trans fluid BTW :rolf woops

I have a 18 volt drill and sawzall and 14.4 3/8" impact

JEFF

Cryptic
10-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Milwaukee or Dewalt

I have a Craftsmen I bought when I bought close to 10 years ago. Still works fine. But I like the feeling of my Dewalt more. I like the electric stop, it feels a bit more refined.

Its relative to how much you want to spend on the drill honestly. If your not depending on it day in day out to make a living then it probably dont matter.

Heat Seeker WS6
10-30-2005, 10:53 PM
18V Dewalt all the way. Been using that whole line of power tools in customer's homes for several years and not one hitch.

cheap80Z28
10-31-2005, 12:06 AM
for home use I use a 14.4 firestorm. when I worked in the garage, use of the cordless all day every day, we had milw, makita and I had a craftman. so if you use it alot then go for the higher priced units, home use get the black and decker firestorm setups.

steve

ponyride00
10-31-2005, 04:09 AM
I have a Dewalt and wouldnt buy anything else.

Silver350
10-31-2005, 06:38 AM
I have a Dewalt 14 v cordless. I like it that it is light weight and feels comfortable in my hands. I also have a Milwaukee 18v hammer drill at work. Clutch is going on it and it is only a year old. The battery is really bulky and makes the drill hard to work with

Scales
10-31-2005, 06:48 AM
Just got me a Craftsman 14V drill with a free work light for $50 at sears. So far I think it's pretty good. Has a level on the top, and a LED light aimed at the bit. For the price, ya can't go wrong!

DirtyMax
10-31-2005, 08:10 AM
Milwaukee or Makita! :thumbsup Neither of those have ever let me down.

loud91rs
10-31-2005, 08:28 AM
at work we have the bosch 18v or whatever and that thing kicks ass! :headbang

UnderPSI
10-31-2005, 09:43 AM
18v Milwaukee. Get some kind of combo pack with the drill and sawzall they are always a really good deal than if you where to buy them seperate. I have had mine for 6 years with no problems.

jbiscuit
10-31-2005, 10:11 AM
14.4V Dewalt. Hands down. I had a 14.4V Milwaukee and that was a good product as well but the battery charge of the Dewalt is WAAAY better than the Milwaukee.

wikked
10-31-2005, 10:15 AM
They now have Li-Ion cordless drills out, MUCH more power and MUCH longer lasting battery.
Also the drill runs at 100% power until the last drop of juice in the battery.

A little pricey at around $350, but hey they're new.

jbiscuit
10-31-2005, 10:38 AM
They now have Li-Ion cordless drills out, MUCH more power and MUCH longer lasting battery.
Also the drill runs at 100% power until the last drop of juice in the battery.

A little pricey at around $350, but hey they're new.

yea I heard about this......in my past experience the DeWalt's battery far outlasted the Milwaukee's. These new Lith-Ion ones should be a lot better but at a cost however

Slow Joe
10-31-2005, 10:56 AM
LOL, I have a Skill 12V and a Black & Decker.... the cheap black and decker... I wouldn't really recomend either one... LOL... Then again I paid under $20 for each of them...

awsomeears
10-31-2005, 02:52 PM
WOW..................

I think im getting a Dewalt

theavenger333
10-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Rigid
Milwaukee
Ryobi
Dewalt
Black & Decker
Bosch
Craftsman
Porter Cable

drills now are pretty much equal in a certain group, i'd stay away from the Bosch, Blackndecker, ryobi and rigid. i don't even kno who rigid is. milwaukee, dewalt, craftsman, Makita, porter cable, the bigger brands are all pretty good, some just overcharge. check prices

awsomeears
10-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Rigid is Home Depots brand and actually I looked and played with it today, its a nice asssss drill but I think im buying a Dewalt :) 18v off ebay

A B4C Z
10-31-2005, 06:03 PM
Dewalt.

Lash
10-31-2005, 06:09 PM
Milwaukee.

Dewalt sucks. I use them everyday and their chucks suck ass. Sometimes you can tighten them as hard as you can and your bit will still fall out.

I think Bosch are the same. The drills are almost identical. Same with some of the black & decker drills. Same drill...just a different name put on it. :) You can use the same batteries in all 3 of them.

Makita's are nice. Some just dont seem to have enough speed.

Spend the extra money and get a nice Milwaukee. Trust me.

theavenger333
10-31-2005, 06:14 PM
the makita i really never had problems with, IF you use the right voltage for the job. their drills really seem to be precise for their ideal uses. but yeah, between friends and my dad who is a contractor of sorts, there are a LOT of milwaukee tools being used, and i have yet to see a major problem with any of them. very tough, reliable.

Slow Joe
10-31-2005, 11:16 PM
This is completely off topic... But steve, what happened to the neon? lol... Oh yeah cordless drills... Ummm yup... :thumbsup :goof :durr

shomanwi
11-01-2005, 08:59 AM
I would recommend the Makita it is the best cordless drill on the market. All the test I have seen on cordless drills Makita has been always on top. As for Dewalt if you want one of these drills you should buy a Black and Decker and Porter Cable since it is the same company and the Milwaukee drills and made by Panasonic.

Rocket Power
11-01-2005, 05:21 PM
I have had my 12 V Makita for about 10 years now.

We use 18V Milwaukees at work in my area, about once a year or two we have to get them fixed and they get used hard.
The other area at work uses Dewalts. I had to use one of theirs and when the brake kicks in it sounds like the drill's gonna explode. I like the Milwaukees better and I may get one to replace my Makita at home, because my batteries or charger have recently crapped out.

SLOWC5
11-01-2005, 05:27 PM
only nice thing about the rigid tools is that they have FREE battery replacement, and if anyone has replaced a battery before knows that can be a good thing, at 50-100$ a battery

I dont own any rigid tools though, dont know how the quality is

JEFF

carbon04
11-01-2005, 05:41 PM
I just upgraded from the Milwaukee 18V combo kit to the Milwaukee V28 setup. I have absolutley no regrets thus far. With the 18V I could kill a battery before the second one was done charging. I haven't been able to do that with the V28 yet.

HITMAN
11-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Milwaukee.

Dewalt sucks. I use them everyday and their chucks suck ass. Sometimes you can tighten them as hard as you can and your bit will still fall out.

Makita's are nice. Some just dont seem to have enough speed.

Spend the extra money and get a nice Milwaukee. Trust me.

I agree. But...

I have both Makita and Milwaukee. I have a Milwaukee Super Sawzall and a 3/8 drill (cord). My angle grinder and 3/8 drive cordless impact are both Makita The Makita impact is the only cordless tool I own, and I would sooner go with just about every other tool I own than go with out that. It is absolutely my favorite tool and It goes with me everywhere. It's only 9.6v and it's 8yrs old but the only thing I've had to replace is the socket retaining ring on the the drive lug. I recommend either brand with the slight nod to Makita.

BTW, most drill chucks aren't made by the drill mfg. but are outsourced from a company like Jacobs.

turbogarrett
11-01-2005, 10:15 PM
We use both 18v milwaukee and dewalt cordless combos, it's really a toss up. They both break after a lot of abuse, milwaukee's batteries suck, dewalt's
chucks suck. We probably average a year of heavy, daily abuse before the drills are dropped off for repair or refurbishing.

nismodave
11-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Dewalt and Milwauke are garbage.

Spend the Extra $ and get a Panisonic.

Ive used all brands and Panisonic is by far the best I have used.

Lash
11-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Dewalt and Milwauke are garbage.

Spend the Extra $ and get a Panisonic.

Ive used all brands and Panisonic is by far the best I have used.

You must have missed this...

Milwaukee drills and made by Panasonic.