PDA

View Full Version : BUCKS trade Mason.....WTF

HP ADDICT
10-27-2005, 06:08 PM
I don't know how many of you watch basketball but why the hell would we trade Mason? Who can fill his shoes on the Bucks? We traded him for a center....Ok I'm not going into this anymore but WTF? :alcoholic

BlownMe
10-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Well, they want Bogut and Magloire on the floor at the same time with Simmons playing the other forward position. After resigning Michael Redd and getting Bobby Simmons, I kinda expected something like this. I just didnt think it would happen so soon. Dont forget, they also have Joe Smith and Dan Gadzuric. Mason's agressiveness will be missed tho. He was really good at drawing fouls and was a force in the paint. It should be an interesting season.

HP ADDICT
10-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Ok so Redd is on the bench and Simmons is bombing it.....now what? That 17 ppg average is going to be missed. I really think Mason was the most exciting player to watch.

Yooformula
10-27-2005, 07:34 PM
I just read that Bogut wont be a starter and will most likely see the bench alot.

PB86MCSS
10-27-2005, 07:34 PM
I'd rather have an All-Star caliber big-man than a decent swingman anyday. Mason is good but very replaceable, Magloire isn't dominating but is a much more valuable commodity. I for one also think Redd is overrated too, not to mention very overpaid(like the entire NBA). Hes good, All-Star caliber again....but decent swingmen are a dime a dozen. JMHO.

BlownMe
10-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Mason definitely had the wow factor going in his favor. I think if Simmons bombs (which i doubt he will), they still have enough prescence in the paint to make a difference. I doubt Redd will be sitting on the bench if he keeps up the 25 point performance he put on last night against Denver. Ford had 22 and Bogut put up 17. I think after Bogut develops and Simmons gets comfortable with the Bucks' playing style, they'll make more contributions.

Lash
10-27-2005, 08:03 PM
The Bucks needed a big rebounder...and thats what they got. As far as the offensive side...they have Ford back who has been amazing so far in the pre-season. So far in the pre-season hes averaging 14.8 ppg, 5.8 assist, 2.1 steals while shooting 46% from the field (which is a BIG improvement).

They are looking to be more aggressive. I'll be sad to see Mason go, especially with the kind of person he is and the contributions he's made to this city.....but it was probably a good move.

Another person who people forget about is Charlie Bell. He's finally getting some good minutes with the bucks and averaging 10 ppg. and 41% from 3pt. land in 20 min per game.

One thing I'll never understand is why we got rid of Ray Allen. He's top 10 every year for scoring and 3pt. made and %.

PB86MCSS
10-27-2005, 08:18 PM
One thing I'll never understand is why we got rid of Ray Allen. He's top 10 every year for scoring and 3pt. made and %.

I was under the impression it was because at that time, Herb Kohl was trying to sell the Bucks, to help make them more attractive(as dumb as it sounds) it helped to dump the big salary guys. Plus there might of been some issue between Allen/Karl? Just thinking out loud.

I agree though, one of the dumbest trades I can recall. Trade a legit star in his prime for an over the hill rental of Payton and a decent forward with potential in Mason.

BlownMe
10-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Another person who people forget about is Charlie Bell. He's finally getting some good minutes with the bucks and averaging 10 ppg. and 41% from 3pt. land in 20 min per game.

Good point. Im one of those people who forgot about him.

Lash
10-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Plus there might of been some issue between Allen/Karl?

There were some big issues. If you look at all of the people in that whole deal...including George Carl...none of them are still with the Bucks. lol
Now you have Carl over in Denver getting suspensions thrown at him.

Cjburn
10-27-2005, 09:57 PM
Bobby Simmons can play defense, Jamal Magloire can play defense we haven't had a guy who could play low post defense for a long time, hell our last real center was Jack Sikma, or maybe Moses Malone in the twilight of his career. Michael Redd is one of the top shooters in the league, PERIOD. We have some guys who can score some down low, and can pass. Redd will see more open shots, thanks to Bogut and Ford. The Bucks will make the playoffs and win 40-45 games, and be very fun to watch. I hate to see Mason go, since he's a great person to go with a damn good team player, but we got an All-star caliber big man, I'm happy.

Prince Valiant
10-27-2005, 10:30 PM
I'll miss Mason though. Talk about a stand up guy who actually LIKED being a role model. Always friendly, especially when children approached him....rather than acting like it was a bother, he'd make a point of talking to each kid, signing autographs, etc. He possess the kind of character I'd want on a team.

And sure, he might not have been the best dribbler/passer/shooter...but he was damn near the best player I've ever seen without the ball. This, imo, is a lost art nowdays. As well, few can approach his defensive ability AND intensity, his drive to go after rebounds, and the relentlessness for slashing to the hoop for scoring opportunities. All while being one of the 10 best pure-athlete's in the game...easily the most underatted buck.

Really makes me question Larry Harris overall basketball acumen.

theavenger333
10-27-2005, 11:52 PM
mason is i do believe under contract for not much longer, possibly at the end of the year. they won't have the money to re-sign him

DirtyMax
10-28-2005, 08:03 AM
mason is i do believe under contract for not much longer, possibly at the end of the year. they won't have the money to re-sign him

IIRC, he (Mason) was signed thru 2007. Magloire is only signed thru this season. So potentially, we gave up our 1st round pick next year, cash, and a decent player for someone who may not be around after May. :chair:

Not to mention Desmond was assured by Kohl (can't get much higher than that) that he'd be a Buck for life. He personally sought out Kohl because he wanted to make long-term plans in this city. Then throw in the fact that his wife was not tough on the eyes and a nice lady (from what I heard) and this is just all farked up!

DirtyMax
10-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Really makes me question Larry Harris overall basketball acumen.

But he can ring up DWI's with the best of them... :alcoholic

Karps TA
10-28-2005, 10:11 AM
So far I'm seeing Bogut to being the big white stiff I expected. They spent alot of money to sign Gadzuric to be a backup center, which I thought was odd. Now they trade for Magloire. It says to me that they have very little confidence in Bogut and that he is not developing as hoped.

Prince Valiant
10-28-2005, 10:45 AM
So far I'm seeing Bogut to being the big white stiff I expected.
I don't know...Bogut seems very solid imo. To me, I'm not worried. He's only 20 (about to turn 21) and probably not fully developed. It's not too unusual for big men to blossum at a little later age. I'd give Bogut a good three years to really pan out...but I consider him "solid" now.

Case in point would be Jermaine O'neal...the guy did NOTHING his first 4 years in the league and was only so-so in his 5th year When he was 22years old. How about ben wallace? His first 4 years he was viewed as a garbage man who could get some rebounds. Ilgauskas of the cavaliers did nothing his first few as well...

Part of the problem is that for the most part, it takes a long time to grow that tall...these kids are still developing in many respects, and thus need to grow into their bodies.

There are some notable execeptions of course...Shaq is the biggest of course. I think him, and other *great* centers of the past (chamberlain, russell, jabbar, walton, olajuwon, etc) kind of skew the typical progression of centers as they came in and dominated at their position, leading teams to tremendous improvements in their respective records. This isn't how I'd ever see Bogut...he'll just be a solid player/starter and maybe a potential future all-star that was the number one pick in a weak draft.

Karps TA
10-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Problem with that thinking though is rookies in the NBA get 3 year contracts. So in 3 years if he hasn't developed yet what do you do? Resign the guy for big bucks and gamble that he will be a player? Or let him go and basically have nothing to show for having the #1 pick.

PB86MCSS
10-28-2005, 11:27 AM
I believe Magloire is signed through 07', just like Mason.

The first round pick is a good point, but I'm willing to bet its a mid-round pick at best, which is almost worthless looking at the draft crops recently, IMO.

Lash
10-28-2005, 02:58 PM
^ exactley.

Lash
10-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Just the shead a little more light on the subject..

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/oct05/366662.asp

I think what it boils down to is Mason wanted the starting spot...then thought he was gonna lose it to Simmons. The Bucks are like every other team and they want to do things "their" way....so when asked to be traded they strung Mason along.

Jsho13
11-01-2005, 01:43 PM
The more I think about it the more I think this will benefit the Bucks this season. Look what we got, an all star center two years ago for our sixth man off the bench. Also giving away our first round pick shouldn't be too bad, this comming draft will be the weakest in the past five years. Although I really do like Mason, and it sucks to see him go, I think this will help the Bucks. Definately a well rounded team now.