PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on VW TDI's?

Cryptic
10-12-2005, 01:17 AM
brother is looking at them, frankly I dont know squat about them other than they get 50 mpg. We test drove an 06 Jetta TDI (1.9 turbo desiel for those that dont know). It was alright I guess.

Firend of mine said they are assembled in Mexico and the build quality aint all that. Anyone back that up? The re-sale on these TDI's is insane. I'd rather not see my bro blow money on a new car. He just wants to get good gas milage.

You can buy alot of gas for 21k.

So who here knows anything on Golf or Jetta TDI's?

theavenger333
10-12-2005, 02:13 AM
VWs always will have fit and finish issues. the 1.9 is a good motor, unfortunatly you won't go much of anywhere after like 45 mph. car runs very quiet for a diesel. the mk4s though i hate the interiors. overall you can buy another 4cyl import and get like high 30s in mpg for much cheaper, and less costly repairs

Prince Valiant
10-12-2005, 08:35 AM
I know with some simple mods they can go from a mid/high 17 to a low 15's. And we know that's all that matters.

My brother's friend has one and loves it...once broken in, he's gotten a couple of tank full in the mid to even upper 50's when he takes it easy...and goes something like 600+ miles per tank easily.

VW TDI owners become quite fanatical about their cars though...and it's something that people who DON't own one have a tough time understanding. For that reason, there has got to be something good about them.

animal
10-12-2005, 08:39 AM
and it's something that people who DON't own one have a tough time understanding.

Maybe there's a brainwashing device that plays over a low frequency that only the subconcious can pick up.

It's the only logical reason people could actually like those cars :goof

MoreTorque
10-12-2005, 09:55 AM
http://www.tdiclub.com

Teufelhunden
10-12-2005, 11:22 AM
As for build quality...the last time I checked the only VW still made in the fatherland was the Passat. From what I read on www.clubtdi.com Mexican build quality is getting better with time.

I own a 96 Passat TDI that I recently replaced the turbo on (a new kkk only costs $450). When I pulled it apart, the intake manifold was 85-90% choked off with soot from the EGR. It was getting 42 mpg in town with the blockage, thats crazy.

I can't speak for the new TDI's, but I'm really happy with mine and I'll probably never sell it. We'll drive it until it's dead. 45-50 mpg + 18 gallon tank = 810-900 miles between fill-ups.:thumbsup

BAD LS1
10-12-2005, 04:51 PM
i looked at these as well, little pricey though, i think its like 1900 extra for the tdi ona new golf etc...

They must have a pretty large fuel tank to get 600 miles per tank, my civic consistently get about 39.5 with mostly country/stop and go driving, and about 42 was the highest i seen with all hwy driving, its gotta 13.2 gallon tank and gets between 400-450 on that, taking about 10-11 gallons to fill it, its past E at that point hahaha.

At times i kinda wish i would have gotta TDI, but diesel fuel prices are still kinda high, compared to 87 octane.

I never thought id say it was fun to actually try to get the best MPG and miles to a tank as possible before... damn rice car lol

I recently put the stock air intake system back on the car, and honestly it performs alot better and picked up a solid 1 mpg over the AEM V2 piece.

Anyone got any cool link about build ups on TDI's?

theavenger333
10-12-2005, 05:00 PM
TDIs are very hard to build, the turbo is damn near impossible to upgrade without BIG ching. i'm talkin like 2gs. there was one crazy Kraut on vwvortex that put a cumming I6 turbo on his tdi and had it runnin fast.....

Al
10-12-2005, 05:27 PM
I went by concours the other day lookin for a TDi.

From what I have seen, it is at least 10g for a used one.

I'm saving my money right now so that I can make a big down payment on a car before my teg hits the 200,000 mile mark. It is not that I do not trust my teg, but more that I can't do too much with it...like fit 20 2x4s in it.

I'm looking at the focus, protege' 5, xA, golf and jetta or any other 5 door hatch or decent-sized sedan.

Slow Joe
10-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Well, I know that the TDI has a great resale value, no matter what one you have... But they're hard to find... I don't know, I like VWs... I especially love how they drive... But the TDIs are just so damn expensive... But hey... you can say you got a diesel?? LOL... :rolf the next new saying "Hey that thing got a diesel?" ok... I'm done :goof