PDA

View Full Version : Turbo + Nitrous

awsomeears
10-08-2005, 05:36 PM
I'm familiar with turbo's but Nitrous im not :eek:

I was shooting the bull with a buddy thats building up his turbo neon yada yada yada. He mentioned he's running a 45 shot to cool things down and make some extra HP.

Is he correct that the nitrous will cool the temp of combustion while beating on it down the 1/4 mile ?

Water inj. I know does this but ive never heard of nitrous doing this ?

Then again I dont know much about nitrous :D

What about N/A cars ? same thing ?

If this is correct does that apply for a 100 - 200 - 300 - 400 shot ?

BAD LS1
10-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Nitrous does have a major cooling effect, it comes out the bottle at -127F and when i spray my car the IAT sensor reads about 8F. The real gaines come from the extra oxygen it brings to the party that allows you to burn more fuel and make more power.

Water/methanol injection does similar liek you said, but not to such a major degree.

I run pure methanol injection on my car along with the big shot, namely for extra fuel octane on 93 so ican run the timing up and lean it out w/o detonation and the fact that is adding some more fuel in the process too.

sloLs1
10-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Nitrous will definatly cool things down.. i have used it in the past... just becareful if your using it on a boosted car because chances are your timming will be way advanced when under boost and if spary then say goodbye to your motor... you can get devices that will retard timming when you spray(on real big shots and big boost!)

Russ Jerome
10-09-2005, 12:25 AM
A boosted motors cylinder head pressures are so greatly
incresed adding even a wet shot is dangerous. In a low
power vehicle (under 100 hp per ltr.) he could do it just
dont think your going to "cool" your 57 or 60 trim feeding
a 2.0 litr at 25psi. Drag cars with standalones do it all the
time to spool up big turbo's but a big turbo does not need
the nos on big end of track. Your buddy needs a decent
intercooler!

awsomeears
10-09-2005, 02:10 AM
He's running a air to water IC

1fastsol
10-09-2005, 08:34 AM
russ is correct about using a big intercooler.it is better to turn the boost up and adj fuel & timing and goto dyno than using nos. nos will eat your rings up over time. if you have a turbo y would you want nos? only on big turbos. nos wil condense the air in the chamber which will in turn put more air in the chamber and cool down a little bit, but very dangerus. it's ok to a 45 50 shot on a turbo car just retard the timing a little more. you will need a fuel computer to make up the fuel difference or run a wet shot of nos so you can adj the fuel jet. nos will add hp and torque but is your turbo max out? if use nos if not boost more! :)

1fastsol
10-09-2005, 08:35 AM
He's running a air to water IC
how's the air to water working out? is it daily driven or a track car?

Russ Jerome
10-09-2005, 05:35 PM
if you have a turbo y would you want nos? :)

Yup exactly! A properly sized (leaning towards big) turbo will deliver more
power than your shortblock can handle. My present 60E/.63-stage3 will
support WAY more power than my 52pph injectors will flow, 24-25 psi is
the most boost I can run while others (dynoing over 500whp) run 72pph's.

Running three bone stock Daytona intercoolers welded together keeps
IAT's within 25-30* of ambient at big end of track and 24 psi. Cool air
equals more power, requires more fuel.....nos add's to the need for more
fuel and even more tuning (ignition base and full advance under boost).

awsomeears
10-09-2005, 10:40 PM
how's the air to water working out? is it daily driven or a track car?

Track car

He's running the Gt35r

1fastsol
10-10-2005, 08:21 AM
since it's a track car, nos will be good. make sure you dyno with nos with air fuel. just be careful with the nos!

1fastsol
10-10-2005, 02:48 PM
but you should not use nos at the big end of the track, if the cost of nos ver bigger inj go with the bigger inj and better intercooler. make a lot more power and safer!

Bee
10-11-2005, 12:16 AM
gt35r..haha... don't need NOS... good enough... :goof