PDA

View Full Version : Buell Blast

pOrk
10-05-2005, 06:48 PM
I know, I know. Only 500 cc. But they are cheap, 72 mpg, and light so I can beat he crap out of it and do my learning without worrys. Parts are cheaper then a cudhey (sp?) whore and I figured, what the hell.

Number one problem, they are FUGLY. What kinda drag bars could I retrofit to clam down the front end? I am pulling off that gay plastic wind guard first thing.

Next, the stock muffler is comming off cause I love the sound of buells. What kinda muffler should I go with? Any suggestions here would be great.

I found one that was dumped in waukesha for sale, gonna go take a look at her sometime this week if the dip ever returns my phone call. He said he has replaced all the panels, but its not painted. So depending on my patience, it will be true fired like Tims truck or flat black with pin striping. Dunno yet.

Should I take the time to polish the frame? I think polished frame with black motor / tank would look pretty bad ass, but it is ALOT of time to spend polishing a 500 cc frame when either way, everyone will know its still only a 500 :alcoholic I know I'm a :loser but I dont care :banana

Any other suggestions as to what cheap stuff I could do to it is always appreciated. LEMME KNOW

Yooformula
10-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Scott has a Buell,maybe he'll chime in. Good luck and be careful!

Prince Valiant
10-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Well, pork, you'll be disapointed in the sound of the buell blast...as it's NOT a v-twin, but just a big ol' 1 cylinder. It will sound wierd as hell! POP!........POP!.......POP! not the potatoe-potatoe sound of a buell/harley.

If I was looking for a nice light, easy to work with bike, I'd look for an early 90's yammaha maxim 600...a nice little engine, bigger bike, but steady and easy to manuever, not too fast, not too slow, and generally very cheap as well.

loud91rs
10-05-2005, 07:31 PM
hey pork...
your right, the buell blasts aren't much to look at, but they ARE reliable, and easy to throw around turns, and you can't beat their mpg. i used to work at the pdc (product development center) at harley and my old supervisor and i are still really good friends and i could have him ask around about aftermarket pipes, cheap horsepower mods, etc for ya. if you want pm me with any questions or whatever you might have and i'll ask him for you. :thumbsup

Jsho13
10-05-2005, 09:18 PM
I just bought a Buell a couple weeks ago. Not a Blast but a Firebolt. From what I have seen there are a ton of parts available for the Blast but not too sure why someone would want to stick that much money into one. I have a modified factory exhaust on mine and it sounds great.

Check out this link for some Blast parts available.
http://www.americansportbike.com/shop/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F5611437&rnd=1261713&rrc=N&affl=&cip=69.210.78.171&act=&aff=&pg=cat&ref=blast&catstr=HOME:buell

I love my bike, can't get enough of it. I have over 1000 miles on it and bought it two sundays ago.
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/7481/mybirthdayweekend0031sl.jpg
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/9382/mybirthdayweekend0094cn.jpg

Cryptic
10-05-2005, 09:29 PM
whats the red car in the garage there?

pOrk
10-05-2005, 10:05 PM
I just bought a Buell a couple weeks ago. Not a Blast but a Firebolt. From what I have seen there are a ton of parts available for the Blast but not too sure why someone would want to stick that much money into one. I have a modified factory exhaust on mine and it sounds great.

Check out this link for some Blast parts available.
http://www.americansportbike.com/shop/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F5611437&rnd=1261713&rrc=N&affl=&cip=69.210.78.171&act=&aff=&pg=cat&ref=blast&catstr=HOME:buell

I love my bike, can't get enough of it. I have over 1000 miles on it and bought it two sundays ago.
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/7481/mybirthdayweekend0031sl.jpg
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/9382/mybirthdayweekend0094cn.jpg

You polish the frame yourself? If so, how long did it take? Bike looks incredible! I wanted a firebolt, but cannot afford one and for a first bike I wanted something CHEAP. Hence the blast. I have ridden my dads 1300 vtx plenty, but I want something I can go a little tippy with and get the feel of sports bikes so I am confident riding all sorts of makes. So, cheap, reliable, buell blast was the answer. I am trying to avoid owning import, not because they aren't good products, but because they are imported :alcoholic

I dont want to dump money into mine, I am only doing little ****. Wont put more then 2 or 3 hundred into it tops

Cjburn
10-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Never mind you chimed in at the same time as me.

Jsho13
10-05-2005, 10:07 PM
:goof Dad's 94' Viper
http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/4201/a9mx.jpg

SlowStee
10-05-2005, 10:08 PM
whats the red car in the garage there?
busted!!

Jsho13
10-05-2005, 10:12 PM
You polish the frame yourself? If so, how long did it take? Bike looks incredible! I wanted a firebolt, but cannot afford one and for a first bike I wanted something CHEAP. Hence the blast. I have ridden my dads 1300 vtx plenty, but I want something I can go a little tippy with and get the feel of sports bikes so I am confident riding all sorts of makes. So, cheap, reliable, buell blast was the answer. I am trying to avoid owning import, not because they aren't good products, but because they are imported :alcoholic

I dont want to dump money into mine, I am only doing little ****. Wont put more then 2 or 3 hundred into it tops

Thanks! I bought the bike with the polished frame, one of the main selling points. The previous owner said he had over 20 hours in polishing the frame. I looked at all sorts of bikes, imports and domestics and decided on the Firebolt. One plus (at least for me) was insurance was much cheaper than a import. Priced this bike and a F4 and F4 was twice as much. From what I have read, you should look at going 03' and newer. The older Buells had numerous problems. They arn't speed demons but have lots of torque and plenty fast for me. :banana

T-Bag
10-05-2005, 10:17 PM
blast's are ok for first bikes....but you're going to be sick of it real fast. Reliability is alright since it's only a single cylinder, but you'd find just as good if not better with a jap 4 cylinder 600 or so.

A guy I went to school with had a blast and got ticked off after 2 months and bought an F4i because it was a turd, but to each their own...

pOrk
10-05-2005, 10:18 PM
The blasts I am looking at now

1 - 2000 with 4000 miles, dumped with new body panels $1000

2 - 2001 with 2700 miles, looks to be in fair condition, covered in dirt and webs $2200

3- 2002 with 1300 miles, looks mint. On ebay, I'm winning :-) : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4579568369&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT

pOrk
10-05-2005, 10:20 PM
blast's are ok for first bikes....but you're going to be sick of it real fast. Reliability is alright since it's only a single cylinder, but you'd find just as good if not better with a jap 4 cylinder 600 or so.

A guy I went to school with had a blast and got ticked off after 2 months and bought an F4i because it was a turd, but to each their own...

Again, I cannot afford anything more right now and I dont want to spend more then 1500 on a sport bike of which I dont want to own in the first place. I am building a 70s style chopper, the frame is in the garage :thumbsup Thats my winter project if I sell my Ratillac. Still wanna get practice before the end of the season, and these things are cheap so what the hell. I can sel it to my brother when I am sick of it, he wants to learn next summer anyways

Jsho13
10-05-2005, 10:21 PM
There was one floating around in the paper a month or so ago. If I can remember correctly it was a 03' with low miles, asking like 2600 I think. Mint condition

pOrk
10-05-2005, 10:25 PM
On ebay they rarely meet 1500

I hope I win this yellow one for cheap, its close to home and I can just pull the tank and fenders and paitn it right away. I aint riding no yellow bike!

pOrk
10-05-2005, 10:25 PM
We gonna ride when I get mine? You'll have to go slow though ;-)

Jsho13
10-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Sure, I am still learning too :goof

Always looking for people to ride with, usually I am always solo

pOrk
10-05-2005, 10:36 PM
Well **** man, I'll make a post when I find a bike and we'll see whats up. I only know a few people with bikes, and most of them are old school chops or harleys

Jsho13
10-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Cool, make a post then shoot me a pm. I am always up for a ride, I usually go just to go.

Neal Steffek
10-05-2005, 10:46 PM
The blasts I am looking at now

1 - 2000 with 4000 miles, dumped with new body panels $1000

2 - 2001 with 2700 miles, looks to be in fair condition, covered in dirt and webs $2200

3- 2002 with 1300 miles, looks mint. On ebay, I'm winning :-) : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4579568369&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT

What is your max bid on the e bay bike?

pOrk
10-05-2005, 11:20 PM
What is your max bid on the e bay bike?

I just threw it at 800, I was gonna throw a max of 1400 but the guy selling told me that wasnt reasonable, so the hell with him :rolf

I'm gonna hope for the 2000

Neal Steffek
10-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Why would you want the one that is 2 years older, with more miles, for more $?

Silver350
10-06-2005, 07:17 AM
*Warning*. This post might become long and boring for some, and interesting for maybe two people tops.

First off JSho13 nice looking bike you have there. If you are looking to wake up that bike you have pick up the buell race kit. price is very reasonable. And you will not be dissappointed.

Second Eric, glad to see that you decided to go with a buell. Blast are very good bikes in the way of dependablity and pretty decent performance for half of a twin. Great starter bike. You mention in your post that you want to get a buell blast and mod it. I do not see the point in that seeing I have heard from many that the bike is a starter bike and you probally wont have it that long I wouldn't waste your money on something you might sell next year unless your brother wants it for sure and wants all the things done to it.

If you want a cheap blast go to Hal's I think the cost bran new is around 5, you can find a used one there around 2. You can also ask them if they have any rider ed blast for sale. I know they sell the blast if you are not worried about the farrings being scratched up because you might paint it anyways then I would suggest going that route.

If you decide to put exhaust on it go with the JRDean type exhaust. I have heard some blasts with it, and they sounded like a Harley with a twin. You can also stop in at Hal's and go to the service department. Speak with Kevin, ask him if they have any blast with different exhaust that he might be able to start up for you so you can hear what it sounds like.

If you have any questions about Buell let me know. I got go I have a network switch down.

pOrk
10-06-2005, 07:10 PM
*Warning*. This post might become long and boring for some, and interesting for maybe two people tops.

First off JSho13 nice looking bike you have there. If you are looking to wake up that bike you have pick up the buell race kit. price is very reasonable. And you will not be dissappointed.

Second Eric, glad to see that you decided to go with a buell. Blast are very good bikes in the way of dependablity and pretty decent performance for half of a twin. Great starter bike. You mention in your post that you want to get a buell blast and mod it. I do not see the point in that seeing I have heard from many that the bike is a starter bike and you probally wont have it that long I wouldn't waste your money on something you might sell next year unless your brother wants it for sure and wants all the things done to it.

If you want a cheap blast go to Hal's I think the cost bran new is around 5, you can find a used one there around 2. You can also ask them if they have any rider ed blast for sale. I know they sell the blast if you are not worried about the farrings being scratched up because you might paint it anyways then I would suggest going that route.

If you decide to put exhaust on it go with the JRDean type exhaust. I have heard some blasts with it, and they sounded like a Harley with a twin. You can also stop in at Hal's and go to the service department. Speak with Kevin, ask him if they have any blast with different exhaust that he might be able to start up for you so you can hear what it sounds like.

If you have any questions about Buell let me know. I got go I have a network switch down.

Mod it as in cheap mods bro. I want a muffler, handle bars, and paint. I would like tp keep the bike for a commuter since I drive 25-30 miles to work, would love to use 1 gallon there and back every day :headbang

I didn't even think of goin down there and asking about used ones. I dont want to spend more then 1500 though, they will probably want more.

Silver350
10-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Just stop in and ask. I dont know how much the bikes are that were in the class. might even be really cheap if it was dropped a few times

UnderPSI
10-07-2005, 01:34 PM
I set up alot of blasts when I worked at Hal's. What we ended up having to do is rejet the carbs because so many people where having problems with how they ran. Just something to keep in mind. That was the first year for the blasts though, they might have fixed the problem by now. I don't remember what jets we put in cuz it was a while ago, but I know they did alot of dyno tuning to find the right combination. Someone that works there might be able to tell you more if you are interested. Good luck.