PDA

View Full Version : Another union question :-)

awsomeears
10-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Again thanks for the info :thumbsup

I talked with my teacher last night about union 18 and such and then he asked me " Brad I thought you want to do servicing & install like you told me "

I said yea I do, he said that im better off going to steamfitters Local 601.

He said 18 mainly does tin work but also servicing and such. He mentioned your chances of getting a * Service spot * is iffy for 18.

He mentiond 601 is all about install and service so thats where I should apply to because thats what I want to do exactly.

Is he correct ?

Just figured id ask you guys :thumbsup

Korndogg
10-05-2005, 10:58 AM
yes because that is what I applied for at the 601 but my dad knows a guy on the union board and he told me to apply for the steamfitters section because they are picking up alot more people. And with the Oak Creek power plant project comming up, they are going to be needing TONS of steamfitters for that job. You just need to get into a company. Ill probably just get in with steamfitting and then work my way to service inside the company if I want.

awsomeears
10-05-2005, 11:02 AM
yes because that is what I applied for at the 601 but my dad knows a guy on the union board and he told me to apply for the steamfitters section because they are picking up alot more people. And with the Oak Creek power plant project comming up, they are going to be needing TONS of steamfitters for that job. You just need to get into a company. Ill probably just get in with steamfitting and then work my way to service inside the company if I want.

So once you sign up you can pick the path you want to go ?

And you went with service tech / installer ? or somthing along those lines ?

I like to ask questions don't I :goof :thumbsup

Korndogg
10-05-2005, 11:39 AM
I went with refrigeration service but I am going to switch over to steamfitting if I can because the steamfitters are in demand right now I guess..

70 Rat
10-05-2005, 06:27 PM
I would check into both of them if I was you. The nice thing about thing about the service aspect is that it will more than likely put you in a truck. Check into the 18 service or 601 service. Yes the power plant will make plenty of work and overtime. Throw a line out and see which one bites. Good luck.

awsomeears
10-05-2005, 10:52 PM
^^ Thats my next question ^^

Can I sign up for more then one Union ?

My guess would be sure but im not positive

Lash
10-05-2005, 11:07 PM
O.K. I think we need to clear something up here. What kind of "service" do you EXACTLY want to get into?

Do you want to get more into the testing/balancing/troubleshooting of HVAC units (after the tinners installed everything...you'd be the one to get things up and running)? Or do you want to get into running refer/hot water/chilled water/gas lines (thats mainly what a steamfitter does)?

I think you may be kind of confused on what each union does. Service work it self gets kind of confusing becase some of the work carries into the other union. It gets kind of tricky.

awsomeears
10-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Service and install of A/C and Furnace units..........................

Mainly residential, I started out with resi. and I like doing it.

I get the feeling that alot of you guys while working are doing alot of work in newer constructions mainly comercial buisnesses ?

Is there even a Union for residential heating and cooling ?

I wish schools or unions would have a big FAQ write up for newbies like myself that know squat about this type of stuff. Ive read there intire site and its not much help. I could call the guys there but knowing my self id just say " tell me everything about this union and whats offerd " Maybe I should :D

LOL

Dont mind me guys im just making sure I get into somthing I know about :thumbsup ive already wasted to much time at shti jobs and not getting my arse in school right after I gradutated in 01' I want somthing to hold on to for along time :thumbsup

Korndogg
10-06-2005, 12:39 AM
Not many residential/light commercial companies join the union because it would end up costing them more money than anything. Its not worth it for them. If you want to do that kind of stuff then just go find a job at a non union shop. My dad told me to get into the union because Ill never make as much money as I would in the union. In 5 years, Ill be making almost $10 more than my dad makes and hes been in the business for 30 years....

Lash
10-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Service and install of A/C and Furnace units..........................

Mainly residential, I started out with resi. and I like doing it.

Is there even a Union for residential heating and cooling ?

Yes....local 18. We have many resedential guys working at our shop (Total Comfort). Take in mind that residential is a little bit lower scale $. I believe it's around $23-24 an hour....but there are some guys at our shop making commercial scale ($29.73).