PDA

View Full Version : HVAC places in Bayview ?

awsomeears
09-28-2005, 02:35 PM
I just moved to bayview and im looking for HVAC shops around to call up and ask if there interested in students from MATC for Trainee position :thumbsup

But......... I dont know Bayview that well so im not sure where any shops are :rolf

I looked in the phone book but that gets me know where because they only list the street names and such, yellowpages.com sucks balls also :rolf

Any help would be great

scottie K
09-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Rudy utke & sons ( tom & paty i used to work ther. good people

DirtyMax
09-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Yeah, what Scotty said. They're right on Norwich Ave in between KK and Pennsylvania.

Lash
09-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Why don't you just go and sign up for a Union apprenticeship? Starting pay for a 1st year apprentice is $14.57...journeyman rate is $29.73. They find a job for you.

awsomeears
09-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Why don't you just go and sign up for a Union apprenticeship? Starting pay for a 1st year apprentice is $14.57...journeyman rate is $29.73. They find a job for you.

I hear of this but where do I sign up ? Is the place called local 301 building or somthing like that ?

My teachers really never mentiond ALOT about apprenticeships. I mean they did and handed us a sheet but thats it.

I was going to do a apprenticeship threw Grunau ( or try to ) but as much as I asked and saw you only focus on ONE job and thats it. In the shop there were 10 or so guys just making ducts. I'd rather work at a shop installing them or fixing them :thumbsup

I'll talk to my teachers tomorrow

Hey LASH any other info I should know let me know.

Brian98GTP
09-28-2005, 09:38 PM
I hear of this but where do I sign up ? Is the place called local 301 building or somthing like that ?

My teachers really never mentiond ALOT about apprenticeships. I mean they did and handed us a sheet but thats it.

I was going to do a apprenticeship threw Grunau ( or try to ) but as much as I asked and saw you only focus on ONE job and thats it. In the shop there were 10 or so guys just making ducts. I'd rather work at a shop installing them or fixing them

I'll talk to my teachers tomorrow

Hey LASH any other info I should know let me know.

Haha... I work at Grunau... :rolf
We have a TON of guys that work there. You dont focus on just ONE job either... It probably looked that way.. but how long were you in there? A couple hours? :confused
We have two shifts of about 15 guys on each making ductwork, and a ton of guys in the field installing it. Theres a lot of things you can do just in the sheet metal division alone. It isnt limited to just Making, and Installing.

There's numerous fields of work you can get into in HVAC.
What are you looking to get into? Sheet Metal? Service?

Me and Luke (Lash) have both finished our 10,000 hour Apprenticeships. He works at Total Comfort, and Im at Grunau. The areas two biggest companies.

If youre interested in starting yours, call up Kurt Nickel at the local 18 union hall at 414-778-1444 and he'll tell you what to do to get started... which involves going to MATC to take a test, etc...
This is the way to go if you're looking to get into the trade.... getting paid to learn/go to school.

Lash
09-28-2005, 09:41 PM
:wstupid

awsomeears
09-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Haha... I work at Grunau... :rolf
We have a TON of guys that work there. You dont focus on just ONE job either... It probably looked that way.. but how long were you in there? A couple hours? :confused
We have two shifts of about 15 guys on each making ductwork, and a ton of guys in the field installing it. Theres a lot of things you can do just in the sheet metal division alone. It isnt limited to just Making, and Installing.

Well I was only there for a hour :rolf and well I talked to a few guys that they " said they new about most apprenticeships and most said somtimes its a wast of time, so I never looked into as much as I shold have "

These " Guys " were not workers of Grunau, just some guys from school.

So I guess you cant listen to everyone and take it as the truth :rolf

Im looking to get into the residential service or install.

Are apprenticeship only offered by larger companys ?

I think Nov. im taking the EPA test :thumbsup

Brian98GTP
09-29-2005, 09:51 PM
Are apprenticeship only offered by larger companys ?

No no no....

The Apprenticeship program is through the Union.. (Local 18 in this case)

They PLACE you with a company... If you lose your job, or the company goes under... you move to a different company...
I guess you could say you work for the UNION.

Like Luke stated in his post above.. Union Journeyman (Commercial) wage is $29.xx an hour ON THE CHECK, (not including the whole wage package).....and they PAY you to get trained....
Union Residential wage is mid-low $20's I think, and who knows what the Non union Residential shops pay...??

For Non-Union, the wage rate is like $20 or $21 per hour.....and they USUALLY wont pay for your education.....

Just dont spend a few years with a Non Union company, only to wish you would have started an apprenticeship with the union.. Make your time count towards something... :thumbsup

SNKSKNR
09-29-2005, 10:13 PM
Local 18 is the worst union you could work for!!!! I had two years tide up in them and they wanted me to pay them back for the schooling they put me through. You are just another number when you work for local 18. I work in a non unoin shop that pays just as much and more than the union. You won't be fined or fired if you do a side job . After you retire from 18 you can't even work part time at a supply warehouse or you will lose all of your hard worked pention. If I would start over I would go into the steam fitting union. There is alot more to look forward to. good luck.

awsomeears
09-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Hmmmmmmm

Well I talked to my teachers yesterday and they mentioned Local 180 ?

And that I have to call them to find out what day there Test is, then ill get placed in what ever order my Grade was.

Is Local 180 and Local 18 two different things ?

How many Post #____ or Unions are out there ?

If there are more then one Does " THE TEST " that you take count for all of them ?

I'm not up to par with all this stuff so be gental with me LOL :D

Thank you so much for the info :thumbsup

And I want to stick with Residential for SURE :headbang mainly because already im having My freinds ask me to fix there stuff :thumbsup and I dont mind helping them out cuz we all scratch each others back when we need help. Plus side jobs are a plus :thumbsup

70 Rat
09-30-2005, 08:32 PM
If I was you, I'd try to look into going into commercial, especially if you've taken service classes..try commercial service. If your friends want work done, you should still have the aptitude to do the work...it's just smaller. Yes there are "tricks" to each one residential or commercial. The scale is $29.73 for commercial, and Brian said low to mid $20's which is ballpark. I would go for commercial...your friends can't pay you the roughly $5.00 an hour difference between the two for the rest of your career. Now remember $29.73 is your hourly wage, not including your health & benefits which includes your pension, that at the age of 55 & 30 years of service lets you retire. As far as going into a non-union shop. I don't recommend it....been there done that. After two years I started over with a union apprenticeship. Sure, they may treat you good and let you take days off or pay you a vacation...even a side job. On the down side...the wages aren't really there, no pension, profit sharing is BS usually, poor or incomplete insurance. I have been in the trade for ten years, and it has treated me well. I recommend calling Kurt Nickel and seeing what it will take for you to get signed on for the test. Who knows, maybe you won't need the test depending on what kind of testing it took to get your classes started at MATC already. One last thing....it doesn't matter where you work you won't be happy with everything that goes on whether it's McDonalds or a hospital.

Korndogg
09-30-2005, 09:28 PM
I just finished my associate degree from MATC and Im in the process of joining the Local 601 (steamfitters and refrigeration service). Im going into the service part of the program. Theyre minimum pay for Journeyman is $32 take home. Residential blows too. My dad does residential and light commercial and it sucks going in people dirty ass basements all the time.

awsomeears
09-30-2005, 09:31 PM
If I was you, I'd try to look into going into commercial, especially if you've taken service classes..try commercial service. If your friends want work done, you should still have the aptitude to do the work...it's just smaller. Yes there are "tricks" to each one residential or commercial. The scale is $29.73 for commercial, and Brian said low to mid $20's which is ballpark. I would go for commercial...your friends can't pay you the roughly $5.00 an hour difference between the two for the rest of your career. Now remember $29.73 is your hourly wage, not including your health & benefits which includes your pension, that at the age of 55 & 30 years of service lets you retire. As far as going into a non-union shop. I don't recommend it....been there done that. After two years I started over with a union apprenticeship. Sure, they may treat you good and let you take days off or pay you a vacation...even a side job. On the down side...the wages aren't really there, no pension, profit sharing is BS usually, poor or incomplete insurance. I have been in the trade for ten years, and it has treated me well. I recommend calling Kurt Nickel and seeing what it will take for you to get signed on for the test. Who knows, maybe you won't need the test depending on what kind of testing it took to get your classes started at MATC already. One last thing....it doesn't matter where you work you won't be happy with everything that goes on whether it's McDonalds or a hospital.

Good point about comercial stuff :thumbsup

Well i'll be on the phone this Monday calling up Kurt Nickel :thumbsup

Thanks for all the info guys :thumbsup

I just finished my associate degree from MATC and Im in the process of joining the Local 601 (steamfitters and refrigeration service). Theyre minimum pay for Journeyman is $32 take home. Residential blows too. My dad does residential and light commercial and it sucks going in people dirty ass basements all the time.

WOW

Associates Degree :wooo I give you alot of credit for doing that, I passed on that because it would have taken me 3-4 years to complete that because im going to school PT not FT.

I worked for a HVAC company in 01' and went in many basements and I did'nt mind it one bit. Actually made every day Different.

Wich is a plus in my opinion because something new everyday keeps you out of the " Same **** every day type of job "

Brian98GTP
10-01-2005, 12:58 AM
I work in a non unoin shop that pays just as much and more than the union.
Which is it? 'just as much'? or 'More'?
Its cool that they pay you as much as the union workers...... A lot of companies wont do that, as Im sure you know..... You must be a pretty knowledgable foreman that deserves the pay Im guessing? Are the benefits pretty good too?
What company do you work for if you dont mind me asking..?

I had two years tide up in them and they wanted me to pay them back for the schooling they put me through.

That does suck... but there's a good reason for that.... they only came after you for the schooling money, because you signed a contract with them.... ;)

The contract was that you CANNOT go to work for a Non Union shop after signing up for the apprenticeship... (or you cant work for one until 10 years of service, or something like that..? shows how much I pay attention..) ...otherwise you have to pay back the Union for all the schooling that THEY paid for in order for you to learn your sh!t... :thumbsup

Thats to keep guys from going through the apprenticeship program with the Union.. and taking all that learned knowledge to a Non Union Shop... which is obviously the Unions main competition.... :)

You HAVE to sign that contract, otherwise you wont be allowed to start your apprenticeship too BTW....
Do I think thats fvcked up?... yeah.. a little,... but it also makes perfect sense..

Whatever you decide awsomeears.. good luck to ya....
... its nice to walk in or drive by a building or business, and be able to say that I installed the ductwork/rooftop units/etc. or made the ductwork thats in that building...

Brian

awsomeears
10-01-2005, 09:49 AM
I figured there was a Contract like that. I think thats sort of wack but not really because they did help you learn and pay for the skill. Just saying " see ya im off to ____ " wouldnt be nice.

I'm going to take the test if I need to, my asvab test to get into MATC might be the same but who knows, I scored a few points above average on that.

Great Thread :)

turbogarrett
10-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Union is the way to go, better training and while someone at a non union shop may make as much as you do on the check, they usually do not have a comparable benefits package.

Brian, tell Brad S. and Marge M. over in Grunau's electrical dept., Garrett says "hi". Does Junior still have his race car?

Korndogg
10-01-2005, 11:01 AM
WOW

Associates Degree :wooo I give you alot of credit for doing that, I passed on that because it would have taken me 3-4 years to complete that because im going to school PT not FT.

I worked for a HVAC company in 01' and went in many basements and I did'nt mind it one bit. Actually made every day Different.

Wich is a plus in my opinion because something new everyday keeps you out of the " Same **** every day type of job "

Well thanks. Yeah, 3-4 years would have been a little long. I dont mind going in some of the basements but alot of them are just so damn terrible. (I use to help my dad all the time, thats how I know since I havent gotten a heating job yet). Ever since we went on field trips and got to go behind the scenes at the Federal building, Bradley Center, and the Harley plant, I have wanted to do big jobs like that. Thats why Im getting into the union.

Brian98GTP
10-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Brian, tell Brad S. and Marge M. over in Grunau's electrical dept., Garrett says "hi". Does Junior still have his race car?

Haha... If I ever meet them, I'll try and remember.... :goof
I might have met Brad.... I think he comes into our shop every now and then to fix whatever electrical problems we run into...

Junior still has the car... I havent talked to him for a couple weeks though...

He brings it to work now and then so he can just leave for the track right from work.... He brought it last week as a matter of fact...
He said the car/hobby is to the point where it doesnt cost him anything to race anymore.... it pays for itself... :thumbsup

Lash
10-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Wow! I missd all of this?

I work too much. Which is a good thing ;)

I would also like to know the name of this non-union shop that pays "as much or more" than a union shop. Also...why were you only in it for 2 years? Couldn't hack it huh (the union schooling)? :goof

Korndogg
10-03-2005, 05:31 PM
the only thing that sucks for me is that I went through 2 years of schooling and if I go into the union...then I have to do it all over again lol. At least I have a degree to back me up though.

Lash
10-03-2005, 05:45 PM
^ true. But you should be able to breeze right through everything. It'll be like vacation the days you are in school....but you are getting paid to be there.

Korndogg
10-03-2005, 05:48 PM
I SHOULD be able to remember everything lol..

When you take it through the union though....you dont have to take all the stupid crap like english and stuff right??

turbogarrett
10-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Check with the union to see if they offer an exam that would allow you to skip the first year. The electrical union does....

Brian98GTP
10-03-2005, 06:01 PM
^^ This man speaks the truth... :thumbsup

Im PRETTY sure we have that too....

....and no... no english, or history classes.... Hahahaha

Korndogg
10-03-2005, 06:03 PM
^^ This man speaks the truth... :thumbsup

Im PRETTY sure we have that too....

....and no... no english, or history classes.... Hahahaha

thank god lol. just found out the other day that I have to retake my spacial test.. :(

so i guess I gotta go to that Big Step place just so I can take the test again so I dont have to wait 6 months.