PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous For LT1

Quick96ss
09-23-2005, 09:02 PM
I am looking for a nitrous kit for my 1996 ss camaro with an LT1 i am looking into a direct port kit by NX. Any other ideas? i dont know if i should just get the regular nitrous kit with one nozzel or if i should run a seperate fuel pump or what should i do to make this safe and effective. I am new at this. i dont know about nitrous any help would be great any ideas welcome. I have a 525 lift cam and 1.6 roller rockers and my computer was changed.
Thanks

Max 93
09-23-2005, 09:19 PM
I would just use the single nozzle kit, they usualy do up to a 175 shot. The direct port is made for bigger shots of nitrous that would require a stronger bottom end.

Quick96ss
09-23-2005, 09:22 PM
wet kit or dry i have heard good about wet

Max 93
09-23-2005, 09:23 PM
you can use the stock fuel pump unless it's weak or you are going big with the spray. You can make it as safe as you want. I am using a MSD ignition to retard timing, a fuel pressure switch, a rpm window switch and a full throttle switch

Max 93
09-23-2005, 09:24 PM
I like the idea of wet and thats what I use. To do a dry kit you may need bigger injectors depending on your mods.

Quick96ss
09-23-2005, 11:57 PM
what kit are you running and is it hard to install or did you have some one do it?

Max 93
09-24-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm using a nitrous works kit that i bought used fo pretty cheap. It has a plate that goes behind the throttle body rather a single nozzle. I installed it myself. It's not hard to do but can be time consuming if you want it to look good.

Crawlin
09-24-2005, 12:19 PM
could do dry, could do wet. it's personal preference. i've used wet on my LS1 most of the time. i'd always do a bigger fuel pump. it's just safety and for the amount they cost, you'd be dumb not to. Bottle heater, window switch, all that stuff is good to have.

The direct ports are cool, but i think with how much they cost compared to a single nozzle type setup like an NX or even the plate style's that are out there, if you aren't running 200 shot or more, you won't benefit from it. then again, at that point you might be using up the fuel from a stock system/lines/etc... and would need a whole seperate fuel system if you are going larger.

Quick96ss
09-25-2005, 07:47 PM
I am now looking into the cold fusion Direct port EFI kit it seems to be awesome and i am talking to a guy about it is there any input on the cold fusion nitrous kits or what about dino tune nitrous kits any help would be great.

Max 93
09-26-2005, 07:22 AM
never heard of them

BAD LS1
09-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Heh... i like dry.. but wet on al LT1 would be OK cuz the ports go down, where as the LS1, the port openings are up at the top, fuel puddles in the bottom, one little flame out and intake port, off comes the intake.

Nitrous its self is not flamable, it only adds 2 parts more oxygen once it reaches 524 degrees F. So if you gotta dry shot, it puffs back, it does nothing but burn up usable nitrous, only when you have a mist of very volatle atomized fuel, or fuel vapor in the intake will u have the potential to remove it using god ole fashioned pyrotechnics.

It hit my dry shot below 3K ALL the time, it seems to work best then, i also run methanol injection, now that stuff is flamable so yes i may potentially run the risk of a backfire, but the bennys it gives, is worth the risk.

I started out with a 100 shot dual .032" jets, kinda rich, and aggressive timing, and it worked awesome. Now i run a 300 shot, with a 75 shot single jet second stage on a button for 4th gear HA HA! i also have a built short block now too.

Quick96ss
09-26-2005, 09:08 PM
BADLS1-I am very new at this nitrous thing could you give me a list or a set up that i should buy to make it safe and give out the best. Like fuel pump i plan on running like a 125 or 150 direct port kit i want to have a daly so i hits when i hit 2nd or anything else i need and would you be willing to help me install it when it comes time or just give me advise on doing it.
Thanks for all the help.
Matt

Crawlin
09-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Whatever direct port kit you wanted to go with. are you looking at ones that are like the NXL rail kit or Nozzle kit from NOS that go under the injectors?

from there, WOT switch which usually comes with the kits. window switch to set the areas in which you want to spray. Mallory window switch, MSD pill setup, MSD digital window switch, etc...

there are some window switches available for LS1 cars that have a first gear lockout feature, dont' know if it works for LT1 cars too, but i don't see why that wouldn't be an option. NX has some products that might work regarding that issue. NX Maximizer, but not sure if that was what had the 1st gear lockout.

for fuel system... http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/outlet/products.asp?vendor_id=5&group_id=49&section_id=122

click that for what would be the best option and give you room to grow in the future if you wanted even more. i'm not sure how well the stock fuel system flows on an LT1 car. but with the simple addition of a Walbro inline pump or Racetronix intank, it'd greatly help. BUT, is it enough to feed the motor AND the nitrous system? especially at a 200 shot. that's why i like the dedicated stuff. some of them require the relocation of the battery to the rear. i know they revised those kits so they fit on the driver's side well too, but that's on an LS1, your intake path on an LT1 may block that area.

from there, stuff like a bottle heater, maybe the NX switch panel, purge kit, remote bottle opener, etc... is all stuff that may be purchased seperately depending on how intricate you want your system to be.

Quick96ss
09-27-2005, 09:29 PM
how do those window switches work and how hard are they to install? or what about a msd 6 box what does that do?
THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT

Crawlin
09-28-2005, 09:30 AM
msd box offers a rev limiter option that's better than the factory style limiter, as well as a "hotter ignition spark" or however they want to market it.

the window switch is just an electronic box that sends power to the solenoids only between a certain set rpm range. that's always adjustable with either pills, DIP switches, or sometimes digitally. they just splice in to your factory tach wire or off of the tach output in the MSD box. very simple to hook up.