PDA

View Full Version : I guess you BCM guys were right...

srt4eh
09-17-2005, 11:10 PM
It is just a neon. But it just gives me more of a reason to turn it into a beast. It'll be done in spring. :thumbsup

Here's the mess I left at Target on 27th:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/srt4eh/DSC01645.jpg

Work begins:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/srt4eh/DSC01650.jpg

Ready to pull:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/srt4eh/DSC01697.jpg

It's Out:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/srt4eh/DSC01700.jpg

My poor engine:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/srt4eh/DSC01721.jpg

Are you supposed to see through to the ground?
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/srt4eh/DSC01723.jpg

Just to prove that it goes all the way through....
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/srt4eh/DSC01730.jpg

See y'all next year!

Prince Valiant
09-17-2005, 11:16 PM
Story?

srt4eh
09-17-2005, 11:29 PM
I was driving 20 mph in 2nd gear in the parking lot.....trying to leave when I heard a huge clunk and the whole car shuddered. I shut it off immediately and coasted into that parking spot where it proceeded to piss out all of its oil in a matter of seconds. Not quite sure what caused it considering I hadn't beat on it for about 4 days. :fire

srt4eh
09-17-2005, 11:33 PM
so.....I am currently searching for a oil pan, crank, and block. As for what my plans are.....here we go:

Forged Pistons & Rods (overbored)
Cams
Cam Gears
60mm Throttle Body
Return Fuel System
A large turbo...not sure which one yet....looking at GT35R or something like it.
if money permits......head work and a lsd

nitrous
09-18-2005, 12:39 AM
If you are interested in a GT35R turbo, I have one I will sell.

Yooformula
09-18-2005, 01:16 AM
It is just a neon. But it just gives me more of a reason to turn it into a beast. It'll be done in spring. :thumbsup
See y'all next year!

That sucks to see that. Sorry about your missfortune. Neon or not, not cool to see someone's ride broke like that. What kind of times did it run before?

Pantera99GS
09-18-2005, 02:38 AM
That sucks to see that. Sorry about your missfortune. Neon or not, not cool to see someone's ride broke like that. What kind of times did it run before?

Ditto :( . Hope you get it back up running faster and stronger than it ever was before man!

Irish
09-18-2005, 07:12 AM
That sucks...... and you don't even a good story out of it! :goof

BAD LS1
09-18-2005, 08:24 AM
Is that a nitrous solenoid and -3 or -4 AN line i see in the lower right corner of the engine compartment?

Take some pics of the crank/rods that busted and the bearings, it had to of spun a bearing prior if it went at low speed like that.

srt4eh
09-18-2005, 10:17 AM
I ran a 13.2 @ 108 as my best. When I took off the turbo I found that the block off plate had a small gap which was creating a rather large boost leak. I had a full bottle of nitrous and yes - a Zex Wet kit (75 shot). I had the car tuned so the a/f ratios were good.....never got to spray it. :crying I also bought slicks which are on there way...... :fire

We are tearing it apart on Monday - I'll take more pics then

Prince Valiant
09-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Forged Pistons & Rods (overbored)
Cams
Cam Gears
60mm Throttle Body
Return Fuel System
A large turbo...not sure which one yet....looking at GT35R or something like it.
if money permits......head work and a lsd Just my .02, but I'd try and get the headwork moved up in the priority scale. Maybe not above anything you've got listed there, but out of the "maybe" and into the "almost certainly" column. Even in a turbo application, good airflow = significantly more power vs stock.

Also see what can be done for a 2.7 stroker :thumbsup

Greg@GLD
09-18-2005, 10:42 AM
That sucks for sure, but now you're an official member of the "Popped Motor Club". This is an exclusive group of people who crave horsepower and play hard. :thumbsup

Just a friendly suggestion/observation: Dude, the way you have that hook thru the rear bracket is a little scary. :stare

Bolt a chain with large washers across the engine and lift it from the chain...

You'll be back though. Use this an an "excuse" for a mega-motor... :thumbsup

Junky Giorgio
09-18-2005, 11:34 AM
sorry to see this happen Eddie...

T-Bag
09-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Sorry to see that....is you warranty up or something? I thought those things came with nice warranties. Just make sure to remove all the nitrous stuff :goof

murdoc158
09-18-2005, 11:53 AM
That is clearly a p-shop photo. :durr

Honestly thought, Eddie, that sucks. I thought the SRT motors were a bit stronger than that. What kind of power did you pull out of it? I hope you can get something done with your warranty, but the nitrous and upgraded intercooler might work against you at the stearlership. Best of luck and keep us informed about that you find out.

theavenger333
09-18-2005, 01:00 PM
that sucks, but thats also WAY cool you can completely see right through like that. odd way for the block to pop. good luck in rebuilding it into a beast!

SlowMotion
09-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Sorry to see that man...car sounded crazy the last time I saw it out on hwy...good luck with the rebuild..I am sure that GT35 will be quite nice for you.... :thumbsup

srt4eh
09-18-2005, 04:58 PM
i've pretty much over used my warranty so far with this car. They pretty much know me by name....lol. Plus I have 42,000 miles on it. Since I want to rebuild it anyways - it'd be too much work, time, and money to put it back to stock and have it towed to the stealership. I'll find a used block and build from there. Yeah - headwork is definately moving up....anyone know a good place to have it done?

Prince Valiant
09-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Yeah - headwork is definately moving up....anyone know a good place to have it done?
I honestly don't know of anyplace around here that I'd go out of my way to recommend. Sure, there are some decent shops that won't screw things up and give you a nice boost in performance...but myself, I went out of my way to find someone who specialized in my heads and sent them out to him in virginia. Not only did he get great numbers...but he was about 1/2 the cost too. The reason is was that he knew his way around the head, where his time was best spent for flow, what valves/springs/retainers/etc all worked best for a good combination. I can assure you that most the shops around here have probably at most seen one or two 2.4 heads come across for a valve job, much less a port/polish and performance valve job with requisite hardware.

Too bad the guy I went to only does small block mopars, or I'd send you his name.

So go out and find the vodoo gods of neon performance...even if they are NA only or primarily type shop. I've forgotten some of the bigger names...but you may find it more advantagous just to send it out to them.

awsomeears
09-18-2005, 05:15 PM
i've pretty much over used my warranty so far with this car. They pretty much know me by name....lol. Plus I have 42,000 miles on it. Since I want to rebuild it anyways - it'd be too much work, time, and money to put it back to stock and have it towed to the stealership. I'll find a used block and build from there. Yeah - headwork is definately moving up....anyone know a good place to have it done?

Sup eddie.

For good head work a guy by the name of Eddie Feiro does it, you can cantact him threw neons.org or if you want ill find his web site, he quoted me $500 or so for a Full RACE port and polish. He's done alot of neon head work and build ups. He just as good as NRGY heads wich you should be familiar with :thumbsup

Also 42,000 miles is ALOT for as much as you beat that things, how many miles did you personally put on it ?

Your oil pump probably took a ****, its sort common ive read a few horor storys :stare

If your upgrading the pistons id get some custom ones called * Diamond Racing Pistons *

Also A dude from neons.org has his own shop called Force Performance ( I THINK ) in MI and has orderd 8:5:1 :thumbsup for the 2.0 im not sure if he has a 2.4 spec pistons or not.

Hit me up ill get you the info or ill link you up

USMARINE1108
09-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Aw man, always hate to see something like that happen to someone's car. But, that just means it's time to upgrade! Good luck with it.

STEALTHZR2
09-18-2005, 10:39 PM
sorry to hear what happened...I like those SRT4's.

srt4eh
09-19-2005, 01:11 PM
I just found a complete engine......hopefully I'll pick that up and the build will begin.

jbiscuit
09-19-2005, 01:23 PM
can't Hahn or somebody like that supply you with the parts/pieces you need to get the car back together? Sorry to hear about your motor popping like this. It still seems odd that it would grenade at low RPMs like that....I agree that it could have been oil starved or something along those lines

srt4eh
09-19-2005, 02:18 PM
hahn.......yeah - bill hahn actually was interested in testing a super 20g on my car early spring but never got around to it. Now would be a perfect time. Perhaps I'll ask.