PDA

View Full Version : Friday - Eve of Destruction, Sunday - Slinger Enduro

Syclone0044
09-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Friday is the Kaukauna "Eve of Destruction", and Sunday is the Slinger Spectator Enduro (www.slingersuperspeedway.com). If you aren't familiar with these events, see my post from last year: http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5465 (I must have been a bit overexcited about the Enduro when I wrote that :goof )

I believe the Eve of Destruction is sold out, however.

The Byron wheelstand contest is coming up as well, according to http://www.byrondragway.com/schedule.htm:

Sun. October 9th-11th Annual World Power Wheel Standing
Championships over $$,$$$ up for grabs-Top Dog
Shoot out#4,Outlaws, Modifieds,FINALS-All Pro
Door Slammers #5 I'm not sure what day the actual wheel stand contest is, I'm guessing Sunday?

Finally while looking for that info I stumbled across this little tidbit:

http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050830/SPORTS/508300327/1001/SPORTS

Fast run at Byron

Ron Misjaka Jr. of St. Charles turned in one of the most impressive runs during Sunday's test-and-session at Byron Dragway. Driving a twin turbo-charged Viper, he went 8.54 seconds at 174.16 mph. :stare :wow

animal
09-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Sunday is the Slinger Spectator Enduro

The feature race was a little boring this year but the 4cyl race was pretty crazy. That one guy had like a vendetta for that other car... he didn't even care about racing so much as hitting that guy. I'm surprised they didn't black flag him.

Syclone0044
09-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Last week Friday I went to the famous "EVE OF DESTRUCTION" at Kaukauna "WIR". Man, it was three times better than I expected!! :headbang I'll give a summary...

There were a number of Figure 8 heats on their little Figure 8 track inside the oval track (much smaller than Slinger's figure 8), that was a good time as we were standing in the pits behind the wall/fence so we got a great view of the cars cornering!!

They had School Bus figure 8s that were a blast to watch. They ran 3 heats with 8 busses each! Those things are so damn big it's like a house on wheels, and they almost roll over going around the corners. A couple times I saw a guy go through the "X" and head clear of the intersecting traffic, only to jam the brakes at the last minute so the intersecting bus would plow into his rear end!! This of course usually resulted in a tipped bus and smashed front end on the other one. Lots of fun!! One or two busses lost their steering and headed straight for the wall by us, we jumped out of the way and CRASH--- it nailed the wall!

One of my favorite parts was the Trailer Races (Figure 8s). I had no idea this was going to be this good. It's regular figure 8 cars pulling any type of trailer. Pop up campers, car dollies, there was 1 fishing boat on a trailer, and one full size skiing boat, and a small riding lawnmower/tractor on a trailer! You just knew these trailers were going to get creamed in the "X". First corner and the fishing boat broke loose, skidding across the asphalt and WHAM!! -- right into the wall in front of us. I was laughing so hard I almost cried. :rolf The skiing boat lost it on the next corner and got land-locked in the middle of the turn. Everyone was avoiding it until one guy headed straight for it on purpose and nailed it so hard, the boat seperated from the hull!! Finally the riding lawnmower got loose off the trailer and was sitting right on the corner in front of us. We were begging any car to nail it! Everyone was dodging it, until a guy comes around pulling a pop up camper. The camper of course swung the corner really wide, fish tailing the car and making a wide sweep across the whole corner lane... POW!! The side of the camper smashes Right into the lawnmower!!! Tractor wheels went rolling, I was laughing and jumping up and down like a little kid :rolf :goof I haven't had that much fun in a damn long time...

At the end they got 2 Jet dragsters, made two piles of the junked cars, backed the Jets up to each pile, and then BLASTED the wrecked cars at point-blank range for about FIVE MINUTES until they had completed, utterly burned to the ground!! At about the 3 minute point, the roof got bright solid orange and peeled away, metal sparks were flying like the final scene in "Terminator 2" at the metal factory, it was really intense, way cooler than I could have imagined. They really burned the **** out of those cars... I could swear they were cars racing earlier too, so I think the engine, battery, tires, interior etc. was all still inside?? The fires burned intense for a while after the jets shut down.

This thing sells out every year, so next year I would advise everyone to go to this but get your tickets early! It was just incredible.