PDA

View Full Version : SRT-4 surging in 1st gear?

Syclone0044
09-12-2005, 09:04 PM
I know there are a few SRT-4 guys here, so after turning up nothing on a Google search, I'm gonna ask here. I test drove a SRT-4 and my impressions were that it ran and drove great, I LOVED the manual trans, it was the easiest driving manual trans I've ever used. :thumbsup The power was OK, it seemed to get about 12 PSI boost, I thought they got more than that?? At least it controlled it solidly. I also loved the interior, 3 cupholders, and the seats!

Now on with the question: In 1st gear at parking lot speeds, it felt very touchy and seemed to surge, like you couldn't give it little enough gas in 1st to move forward 5mph without either riding the clutch constantly, or jerking forward. Was this (used) SRT-4 just a bad example? Or are they all like that? Every other gear was perfect. Thanks guys.

PS: I'm not looking to buy one but a friend might be.

fly5150
09-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Yeah Josh, thats the SRT-4 for you. 1st gear is sloppy like that, it just takes a little practice to control it so its not that noticable. THey all do it as far as i've seen. And 12-13 psi is normal for stock. Now that you've driven a stock one, i'll let you take mine for a spin and see how much fun it can be. He he.

Syclone0044
09-13-2005, 12:26 AM
Let's do it :thumbsup I was out Friday night with an empty seat, looking for you but was unsuccessful so I gave rides to 2 other fellows. I picked up a misfire after changing plugs so I need to fix that before I'm ready again.

PS: Thanks for the info on the 1st gear, too!

black_ses
09-13-2005, 05:37 PM
I was riding in an '04 SRT-4 in July through this BMW rally route in Indiana. That thing handled great through all those country roads and tight turns. I was very impressed! I also felt like one of those rally teams you see on TV since I was giving directions like that - not as technical directions, but it still felt cool.

twicks69
09-15-2005, 05:56 AM
is the 1st gear surging due to a lightweight flywheel?

How heavy is the stock SRT-4 flywheel anyways?

If it is under 20 or so pounds, it could easily add to the surging in 1st gear.

srt4eh
09-17-2005, 11:47 AM
neons tend to be touchy in 1st normally....i'm sure the srt4 doesn't help anything. :D anyone know where I can pick up a srt4 block?

Prince Valiant
09-17-2005, 11:54 AM
neons tend to be touchy in 1st normally....i'm sure the srt4 doesn't help anything. :D anyone know where I can pick up a srt4 block? Just the block? Aren't all 2.4's since the 2003 SRT's inception blocks the same? IE deeper skirts, closed decks, etc?...so any 2003 block should have what you are looking for...

srt4eh
09-17-2005, 10:57 PM
people have been telling me that the srt block is different than the rest of the 2.4 blocks.......but if they are the same....I'm still unable to find one :crying

Cjburn
09-18-2005, 08:08 AM
www.car-parts.com
It is a database of all junkyards (almost all) in the country. There's a block in Illinois if you search. I just did a midwest search, but you can price shop across America.

BAD LS1
09-18-2005, 08:33 AM
I think just about all manual cars get alot of driveline lash in 1st gear at low speeds

awsomeears
09-19-2005, 11:12 AM
SRT Blocks are different then any 2.4 out.

1st off the srt block has oil squirters built in just under the cyl. walls.

The bed plate is designed different also.

Theres a few more things I just lost my info :mad:

Undertaker
09-20-2005, 08:00 AM
neons tend to be touchy in 1st normally....i'm sure the srt4 doesn't help anything. :D anyone know where I can pick up a srt4 block?

I have seen enough on the SRTForums lately. You could go that route. But with all the scams going on lately in the buy/sell forum....... :confused

Silver03SRT
09-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Eddie call this number they might beable to find something for you 282-3333. Its a place called smart parts. They can find almost any part for you except a front bumper for the srt-4. But see what they have in stock. I think its like a nation wide junkyard they have.

srt4eh
09-26-2005, 09:56 PM
thanks....I located a complete engine in bedford, oh that I'm picking up this weekend.......woohoo!