PDA

View Full Version : emissions

95_Gt
09-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Anyone ever pass emissions with out cats?

Rocket Power
09-10-2005, 07:12 PM
It would be hard to pass the visual without them. Last time I remember taking a non-obdII car through they used a mirror to check for them. That was a while ago, maybe they stopped doing that

Car Guy
09-10-2005, 08:36 PM
I've taken more cars through emissions than I ever care to remember and I've never seen them do a REAL visual check. I would bet $$$ that most of the people working there don't even know what I catalytic converter is. As far as passing emissions without cats I've personally only heard of it happening one time with a buddy of mine, it was a 69' camaro with a fairly stock 327. I have no idea why he even took it there in the first place but it took alot of tweaking with the carb and if I remember right he had more alcohol (or something other than gas) in the tank than actual gasoline.

Just register it 'up north' somewhere and be done with it........

Nix
09-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Simple little trick that Iam sure any of the other guys/gals on here can tell you is disconnect the exhaust from the back of the cat and take a pipe or a long hard object and smash it in the cat and break up the ceramic in the cat then start up your vehicl and let it all blow out, repeat this process till its all gone. So in the end you still technically have the cat on there but its just hollowed out and free flowing. So then they would see the cat but obviously cant see inside it, so then you should be good to go. I did this on my 94' Z28 and still passed with flying colors. I hope this helps you somewhat. :thumbsup

GrimreaperSS
09-10-2005, 10:07 PM
I had a friend with a 2000 TA that passed w/o cats. Car has O2 simulators for the after cat O2 sensors. Ive heard the best place for such testing is at the Oak Creek Emissions Test Station. Apparently all the workers there are fellow gear heads and even have a picture wall of the nice cars to roll through the station. Seems certain vehicles have a way of passing when they shouldnt. Have never been there myself, but do know of few people who have been there.

95_Gt
09-10-2005, 10:52 PM
I've taken more cars through emissions than I ever care to remember and I've never seen them do a REAL visual check. I would bet $$$ that most of the people working there don't even know what I catalytic converter is. As far as passing emissions without cats I've personally only heard of it happening one time with a buddy of mine, it was a 69' camaro with a fairly stock 327. I have no idea why he even took it there in the first place but it took alot of tweaking with the carb and if I remember right he had more alcohol (or something other than gas) in the tank than actual gasoline.

Just register it 'up north' somewhere and be done with it........

how can i register up north?What do i need to be able to do that?

TurboAWD2.0
09-11-2005, 01:05 AM

I was somewhat curious about that myself, but my 2002 WRX passed with 0/3 cats...

theavenger333
09-11-2005, 02:25 AM
every car i have ever owned or emissioned that didn't have proper setups passed. that would be 4 vehicles.

TransAm12sec
09-11-2005, 03:45 AM
It depends on where you go.

Some places do visual checks, others don't. My friend saw an employee at Tetoniona(sp?) look under a car with a mirror, while I haven't seen Cedarburg do a visual in the past.

As far as passing emissions without cats, it can and has been done many times. As far as it being 100% legal, it's most likely not.

My dad's cheap crate 350 with cats failed, but the motor wasn't tuned perfectly, and I could imagine the combustion chambers weren't the cleanest. A simple tune up and it passed.

My 82 failed HCs alittle. The carb was running lean, so the computer dumped extra fuel into the motor. That was a simple fix. I also put carb cleaner through the motor just to get rid of unneeded carbon deposits.

SlowStee
09-11-2005, 04:26 PM
can you pass emmissions with LT headers??

Jsho13
09-11-2005, 07:37 PM
I had a gutted cat on my 95 TA and failed everything except the gas tank pressure test. No visual check but they did ask if I even had a cat on, I told them yes because I had no clue it was gutted.

A B4C Z
09-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Ive done it. Got to love tuning software and obd2.

Poncho
09-12-2005, 01:37 AM
Ive done it. Got to love tuning software and obd2.

ditto. I just did my GTP last week, no cats, they did question it's loudness, but didn't check anything. :thumbsup

Undertaker
09-13-2005, 11:45 AM
My 2000 SI passed with an O2 simulator and a race pipe. The guy I sold the car to also passed in Chicago with that setup as well.

Teufelhunden
09-13-2005, 12:24 PM
I was somewhat curious about that myself, I will say no more:

wikked
09-13-2005, 12:34 PM
heh, even that is a little much.

I just found the email address on the wi-dot site, sent them an email stating my vehicle is being stored in "_____" county, they emailed back later that day saying it's been changed/my overdue emissions test waived.

Who says the DMV is slow :goof

Car Guy
09-13-2005, 08:14 PM
I always wonder how long 'it' will last, and by 'it' I mean how damn easy it is to get by without running a vehicle through emissions......but try to keep it on the DL guys/gals, if 'they' find out how many people are really doing 'it', 'it' might be no longer.......

STEALTHZR2
09-13-2005, 08:32 PM
I owned a 82 Elcamino with 3.8L V6 back in high school. The car was in good condition except the exhaust when I bought it. When it came around get the emissions done the cat had a big hole in it. The rest of the piping was fare. I didn't think it would pass. My dad told me just take it in and see what happens. Turns out it PASSED just fine. The cat was so bad you could put a screw driver in it from the bottom and side. But later down the road if fell off. So I just put a straight pipe in until I had to get emissions until next time. Sometimes the workers just don't care what you have under the car.