PDA

View Full Version : Might need some help..

HP ADDICT
09-09-2005, 10:24 AM
I am in the process of setting up my rebuilt lt1. Does anyone here have experiance setting up top ends. I need to check the piston to valve clearance, and check the pushrod length. I have done a few H/C setups but have never had to check any of these things before. I am located in Milwaukee and have a brand new 2 1/2 car garage to work in. If you could give me a hand let me know!!
Thanks,
Randy

HP ADDICT
09-10-2005, 11:10 PM
I have alot of beer!!

Yooformula
09-11-2005, 01:04 AM
Well, sh|t you should have said that sooner! I can help but I am not too knowledgeable about the LT1.

TransAm12sec
09-11-2005, 03:34 AM
I feet the need to post this.

http://www.joke-archives.com/cars/oilchanges.html

HP ADDICT
09-11-2005, 03:44 PM
The only thing that I am worried about is getting the correct pushrod length for this setup, but it can't hurt to have another person check over the basics. Thanks for the offer Yooformula I may take you up on it. Any top end knowledge would help as it is your basic Hydro setup, I just think I will need custom length pushrods and never had to determine it before. Motor should arrive tomorrow am. I have the whole garage and its basically empty so if anyone wants to start a mod fest over here its all good!
Randy

SlowStee
09-11-2005, 06:33 PM
This beer you speak of :drool:

Crawlin
09-12-2005, 09:07 AM
has the block been decked? have the heads been milled? all that stuff an play into account

HP ADDICT
09-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Yes the motor has been decked, heads are milled, springs sit higher etc.

Crawlin
09-12-2005, 09:51 AM
if you don't know the EXACT differences, then the best bet would be to purchase one of those adjustable pushrod length checkers. or maybe see if someone has one to rent. is that what you had planned on using?

HP ADDICT
09-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Yup, actually it(pushrod tool) should be packaged with the motor. The motor just arrived at forward air so I will pick it up shortly. Crawlin you seem to know what I have to do, wanna lend a hand somtime? I just really want to get this motor out this season. Maybe take it to KOTH to play with some of the local cars. :headbang

Crawlin
09-12-2005, 10:28 AM
to be 100% honest.... i know WHAT you have to do, just not HOW to do it, haha. never done it before. usually we are able to look into stock pushrod length is "X", the heads have been milled .030 and the block decked .010. so in theory, a pushrod that is (X - .040) would be what you are looking for.

HP ADDICT
09-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Well heres the thing, heads are aftermarket castings. I am in the same position as you I guess. I know how to do it, just never did, and with money I have in this motor I want to get it right. Guess we all gotta learn somtime though.

Bobby72GTO
09-23-2005, 04:13 PM
I have alot of beer!!
Beer is good, very good! I wouldn't recommend drinking a lot of it when working on your car. Tried it before and it just turns into more drinking and no work getting done.

HP ADDICT
09-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Well now I have the motor/heads/oil pump/cam/rockers/head studs, I think just about everything I need to get it together. Anyone wanna help make this 383 shortblock a 383 longblock? Still confused somewhat about the pushrod length etc. Who here builds there own motors??