PDA

View Full Version : paint ball gun purchase advice

PB86MCSS
09-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Just looking for some basic advice from those who are knowledgeable about paint ball guns and the like. This week I plan to purchase a gun for myself, it won't be used too often but twice this month and certainly some times for the future too. Budget is definately key but I'd like something of good quality that will last if possible. I might be willing to pay $100 if need be......so can anyone help point me in the right direction as far as what to look for, brands, stores to purchase at, etc? Thanks! :guns1

Rocket Power
09-04-2005, 12:50 AM
Stay away from Brass Eagle.
All of us that used to play at my work always had very good luck with the Tippmann 98 Custom. I picked mine up used from a friend for $60. I think they are around $120 new though

animal
09-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Just looking for some basic advice from those who are knowledgeable about paint ball guns and the like. This week I plan to purchase a gun for myself, it won't be used too often but twice this month and certainly some times for the future too. Budget is definately key but I'd like something of good quality that will last if possible. I might be willing to pay $100 if need be......so can anyone help point me in the right direction as far as what to look for, brands, stores to purchase at, etc? Thanks! :guns1

I suggest that if all you have to play with is $100, you don't bother. A decent mask that won't fog up is going to be around $40 new for the lower end ones. That leaves you $60 for the marker itself with air... that means it's junk, or beat to hell used. The first thing I tell people with regard to paintball is not to skimp on the mask and the marker. There are plenty of decent entry level markers but none realistically for the price you've outlined after you buy a decent mask. You're better off renting one at that point.

Do a search for a nice long paintball post I made as far as buiyng equipment is concerned. I twas from a while ago.

theavenger333
09-04-2005, 02:09 AM
I suggest that if all you have to play with is $100, you don't bother. A decent mask that won't fog up is going to be around $40 new for the lower end ones. That leaves you $60 for the marker itself with air... that means it's junk, or beat to hell used. The first thing I tell people with regard to paintball is not to skimp on the mask and the marker. There are plenty of decent entry level markers but none realistically for the price you've outlined after you buy a decent mask. You're better off renting one at that point. Do a search for a nice long paintball post I made as far as buiyng equipment is concerned. I twas from a while ago.
can't help but disagree more. animal you seem to play a lot from what i remember, for under 100 you can pull out a spyder, one of like 3 models, and or a used Tippmann. for 100 flat, a new tippman 98 can be had on ebay and or just shopping carefully. i do'nt even think he mentioned a mask.....

PB86MCSS
09-04-2005, 10:41 AM
I will search for the thread, thanks for the heads up. I meant the $100 for a gun itself, not including other stuff if that changes anything.

HITMAN
09-04-2005, 11:59 AM

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

LIL EVO
09-04-2005, 12:23 PM
$100! :rolf I don't think you can even buy a gun for that these days. Tippmann 98's and Spyders were decent guns back when I actually followed the sport.

I easily spent $1500 on my setup.

animal
09-04-2005, 01:16 PM
can't help but disagree more. animal you seem to play a lot from what i remember, for under 100 you can pull out a spyder, one of like 3 models, and or a used Tippmann. for 100 flat, a new tippman 98 can be had on ebay and or just shopping carefully. i do'nt even think he mentioned a mask.....

Well I was assuming he either didn't have one, or didn't have a decent one (which most people just entering the sport don't have). If it was just $100 straight up, of course there are some out there, but once you buy the mask it changes things if your budget is $100 doesn't it? I was trying to curtail him from spending the bare minimum on a brass eagle pice of crap. Even so, the jump from a used $100 marker to just saving another 100 and getting into the $200 range is usually a VERY worthwhile jump, or at least it was.

I did play alot, I was up to 4 times a week but it's dwindled since my tanks are all expired, and I've jsut been too lazy and into my cars to get them re-hydroed. I need to get out there more though. I only went once or twice this summer. At any rate, I'm predjudiced as my rig cost somewhere north of 2k by the time I got it where I wanted it. Personally I'd probably never pay less than 500 for a marker, only because I know about what I want in a marker, and I know what I wants costs at least that much.

baller4life
09-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Syders and tippmans are not good guns...until you poor a few hundred in mods into the gun......you might as well hold your money till you can buy an impulse or something competitive....go to paintball daves he will tell ya the same.... i paid $900 for just my gun (bob long alias) i and i actually want to sell it. if your looking to play without getting roped all day be prepared to spend some money

SloFarmTruck
09-07-2005, 02:21 AM
Syders and tippmans are not good guns...until you poor a few hundred in mods into the gun......you might as well hold your money till you can buy an impulse or something competitive....go to paintball daves he will tell ya the same.... i paid $900 for just my gun (bob long alias) i and i actually want to sell it. if your looking to play without getting roped all day be prepared to spend some money

So what you are saying is dont by a gun for $250.00 and add some parts to personalize it and make it how you want it. just go out and spend $900.00 on a complete gun. I don't understand. Personally I love my Tippman A-5 with dropp forward and RT. It simply gets the job done and it didn't cost me a fortune. Just my 2cents. :thumbsup

Rocket Power
09-07-2005, 02:27 AM
Syders and tippmans are not good guns...until you poor a few hundred in mods into the gun.....

My bone stock, used, beat up, 98 custom doesn't break any balls till it get's in the 20's. By then I am ready to quit anyway, that's too d@mn cold . :goof

theavenger333
09-07-2005, 04:32 AM
who is this dipshlt? i'll gladly play you one on one with your bob long gun versus my 98. bring that crap on. besides, this guy is looking for a good entry level gun. the 98 is far better than entry level. he's not looking to drop 900 dollars you dummy or he would have already and wouldn't be asking us. now GET OFF MY INTERNET

animal
09-07-2005, 09:00 AM

They're not exactly "bad" guns either. You could roll over a 98 with a car, pick it up, and it'd probably work. They're good starter guns but not really a tourney level gun no matter how many mods you put in them they'll never be as tight as one set up for tourney play.

My experience with daves, and I know him very well, is not anything near what you're saying. He'll obviously sell you anything you're looking for but he's also not unrealistic about peoples' needs. Not all players need the tourney level gun, and it's really stupid to think otherwise.

All I was saying is that you don't want a gun that costs $60... they're either beat to hell, bad seals, leaks, and problems, or they're a new pos with plastic parts that break. For $60 there really isn't a good option. $100 changes things though as I didn't know he has a mask.

Alas the 4 posts you've made prove to me the dire need for my newbie filter. Don't bother replying to me, as you've been added to my ignore list.

UnderPSI
09-07-2005, 03:28 PM
So.....where is the fall BCM paitball game going to be? Field suggestions? Maybe we should take a poll. This way we can see who has the cheap gun that can beat the expensive gun.

animal
09-07-2005, 04:53 PM
This way we can see who has the cheap gun that can beat the expensive gun.

Remember the gun doesn't make the player tho. It really means nothing to a point if you understand the dynamics of the game and get a little lucky in the process. We won an indoor semi tourney with a team of pump guns because we knew the fields, we knew the tactics on each field, and we knew how to coordinate our offense better than the other teams did on those fields. That was against plenty of electros. :)

That said I wouldn't ever bet on the guy with the pump gun, but anyone that hasn't played the game enough against someone who has is going to get schooled 7 times out of 10 times semi to semi.

theavenger333
09-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Remember the gun doesn't make the player tho. It really means nothing to a point if you understand the dynamics of the game and get a little lucky in the process. We won an indoor semi tourney with a team of pump guns because we knew the fields, we knew the tactics on each field, and we knew how to coordinate our offense better than the other teams did on those fields. That was against plenty of electros. :)

That said I wouldn't ever bet on the guy with the pump gun, but anyone that hasn't played the game enough against someone who has is going to get schooled 7 times out of 10 times semi to semi.
exactly, last time out 3 players had full autos, only one usually survived, i was using my "cheap ass weak" tippmann 98

LIL EVO
09-07-2005, 06:21 PM
I was playing indoors at Daves one night with maybe a dozen other random people. I ditched my Micromag and proceeded to whoop ass the rest of the night with my Eagle .68 sidearm. I could roll, dive jump and shoot like no other.

animal
09-07-2005, 06:46 PM
exactly, last time out 3 players had full autos, only one usually survived, i was using my "cheap ass weak" tippmann 98

There's no field in wisconsin that allows full auto. Some semis can sound like they're full auto but no insurance for paintball fields available in wisconsin will allow it.

One thing about that though, any tournament "front" player will be knocked out a lot more than they will stay in, the value of a front player doesn't always come fromhow long they stay in, but how many people they take out before that happens. If you ever watch the dynamics of a hardcore tourney, usually 2 of 3 front men will get knocked out, but it will usually come as at least a 1 for 1. By the time that happens the mid and back players blow that side of the field and get position on the rest. If that doesn't happen it means one side either sucks or the other got lucky. Hence why I said 7 of 10 :)

Not saying you're not a good player either, but tourney ball is completely different from rec ball... and that 98 will become a liability when you can't tuck into a bunker far enough. Trust me I know.

UnderPSI
09-07-2005, 07:04 PM
I was just joking about gun cost and player skill

SLOWC5
09-08-2005, 10:27 PM
apolcypse allows full auto play. I would know I was there shooting with steve. I have syper pilot ACS half ass electronic marker. not crazy auto. only like 13 BPS

I should add this was in a private game, not a tourny

JEFF

animal
09-08-2005, 11:49 PM
apolcypse allows full auto play. I would know I was there shooting with steve. I have syper pilot ACS half ass electronic marker. not crazy auto. only like 13 BPS

I should add this was in a private game, not a tourny
JEFF

I suppose it's possible they have some weird off-brand insurance, but even the APPL based insurance, which was always a bit looser, has "banned" it.

Do they openly state in writing that full auto is allowed, or do the refs just look the other way? I'm interested to know. Mine is also capped at 13 if I put the full auto jumper back in, but I can easily walk the trigger faster than that so I don't bother. If I'd ever get off my ass and upgrade the marker firmware I could put the shot buffering in to smooth it out a little more but it's probably not even worth it since I rarely play tourneys anymore.

SLOWC5
09-08-2005, 11:52 PM
The day we went I had a party of about 15, 3 guys had auto guns, and 2 played most of the day on auto, and even when chronoing the guns in the beginning. These 2 were firing auto and nobody looked at them funny or said a word? no idea on the "rules"? The info video you watch in the beginning stats nothing about no auto? No real facts here, just experience from Apolcypse.

JEFF

animal
09-08-2005, 11:59 PM
The day we went I had a party of about 15, 3 guys had auto guns, and 2 played most of the day on auto, and even when chronoing the guns in the beginning. These 2 were firing auto and nobody looked at them funny or said a word? no idea on the "rules"? The info video you watch in the beginning stats nothing about no auto? No real facts here, just experience from Apolcypse.

JEFF

No problem I figured they look the other way. I am interested to find out if they explicitly say you can use it, or if it's just a "if no one asks rule". Probably wouldn't matter either way since I limit play to one of 3 fields these days andthat isn't one of em.

theavenger333
09-09-2005, 01:10 AM
according to the web site, Apocolypse does not state in writing that full auto is not allowed. that day it was very obvious there were autos playing, the other two other than jeff used probably a case and a half of paint each while i used less than half a case. i only got knocked out of probably 5 games, and no i wasnt hiding the whole time, i am actually one of the more active people. yes animal, it is partially because i can't fire massive amounts of paint, i have to be a little more careful. my marker is lacking if i wanted to sit back and fire 2000 balls a game. i dont play tournament, i used to, with the same gun and did fairly well. i got out of it due to cost mostly, but also with the equipment these days, tourneys consist of 7 man teams (just throwing a number out depends on tourney) 3 or 4 sit back and fire paint till they are out, which leaves little room for movement. theres little fun in that. i'll stick to my 98 with the only mod being a flatline. i dont carry a harness with extra paint most games either. what i'm saying animal is i see your point, don't get me wrong, but out of the people posting here right now, i'm pretty sure the count of people with even tournament EXPERIENCE is less than you can count on one hand.

animal
09-09-2005, 07:49 AM
according to the web site, Apocolypse does not state in writing that full auto is not allowed. that day it was very obvious there were autos playing, the other two other than jeff used probably a case and a half of paint each while i used less than half a case. i only got knocked out of probably 5 games, and no i wasnt hiding the whole time, i am actually one of the more active people. yes animal, it is partially because i can't fire massive amounts of paint, i have to be a little more careful. my marker is lacking if i wanted to sit back and fire 2000 balls a game. i dont play tournament, i used to, with the same gun and did fairly well. i got out of it due to cost mostly, but also with the equipment these days, tourneys consist of 7 man teams (just throwing a number out depends on tourney) 3 or 4 sit back and fire paint till they are out, which leaves little room for movement. theres little fun in that. i'll stick to my 98 with the only mod being a flatline. i dont carry a harness with extra paint most games either. what i'm saying animal is i see your point, don't get me wrong, but out of the people posting here right now, i'm pretty sure the count of people with even tournament EXPERIENCE is less than you can count on one hand.

It's cool man. I realize that playing at a field walk-on is plainly rec-ball anyways. I would like to look into the full auto thing more. Because I'm almost positive that you'll find no writing specifically allowing full auto, only lack of any writing denying it. They do that to cover their ass. On that note, are you sure everyone was full auto and didn't just have semi auto "ramping" on their guns? Sound really makes no difference since semis are every bit as fast as full auto these days. With some of the ramping of those guns, anyone can hit upwards of 20bps pretty easily. The other option is trigger bounce, like that found on a 98 with the reactive trigger. Not truely a full auto action, more like an automatic trigger if you will.

I should also mention to you that I own a 98 with flatline :) Only it's got a nitro setup, warp feed, and numerous other things done to it from before I got my tourney rig.

theavenger333
09-09-2005, 07:57 AM
all three (including jeff) had the same guns... the spyders...

UnderPSI
09-09-2005, 10:59 AM
I like Spyders, Can't beat what you get for the money. Sure they can be improved upon with aftermarket parts but you can be competitive with other players just taking one out of the box.

Crawlin
09-09-2005, 12:03 PM
I like Spyders, Can't beat what you get for the money. Sure they can be improved upon with aftermarket parts but you can be competitive with other players just taking one out of the box.

Yes you can:)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009PXPJO.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg