PDA

View Full Version : E85 fuel in a carb'ed vehicle

fireboverd
09-02-2005, 07:29 PM
I had a thought today and I wanted to see what you guys thought of it. Since you can only run that E85 fuel in certain vehicles, I'm assuming that the computer changes the fuel mixture or timing to compensate for it. I wonder if it's possible to run it in an carbureted vehicle and just manualy adjust the timing or mixture. Granted you would have to keep running the stuff or be changing your settings all the time but isn't the stuff suppoed to be like 100 octane? Just a thought...

Al
09-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Possible, but you might need to change your mixture and timing to compensate for the differences.

kenseth17
09-05-2005, 09:35 AM
from what I've read about it, you need more fuel flow for it and cold starts are harder. Ethanol swells and deteriates rubber seals, and you need the right fuel pump, fuel hoses, ect to run it. Do a little searching and reading. If the vehicle is going to be so you run ethanol only, I believe changes can be to the engine and run a higher compression ratio. There are sites where people have done conversions to vehicles and some have a carb if you look.
e85fuel.com