PDA

View Full Version : Shocked!

CruxGNZ
09-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Maybe you guys can help me out... So, I was taking a shower when I noticed the shower head was a little low for my liking, and I wanted to move it up a bit, so I grabbed the shower head only to get shocked! I've touched many an outlet while in construction and it was definetly 110 volts. I thought maybe it was just a fluke, possibly static electricity discharge? .... but nope, I touched the shower head again just to make sure I was not going crazy, and got shocked again!

Now, how the hell can I get shocked like this? I went in the basement to check all the grounds and the water main is grounded and the electrical box looks to be just fine. Any ideas? Because man does it suck having Head and Shoulders in your eyes and getting your ass electrocuted.

!M!

Ricky Bobby
09-01-2005, 08:59 PM
ask jeff he'll know :thumbsup

CruxGNZ
09-01-2005, 09:05 PM
I did, he just thinks I'm nuts :goof .

!M!

PonyKiller87
09-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Do you have gfi receptacles in your bathroom?

What room is on the otherside of the wall that the shower head is in?

My best guess would be that the romex wire feeding your outlet, fan or light in the bathroom were to close to the pipes in the wall. Overtime the insulation was rubbed off enough to bleed some current into the pipe to ground.

If you can get a multimeter or test light and see if you can turn it off with the light switch, fan switch or circuit breaker for that area. Hopefully you can at least isolate it and turn it off so that your house doesnt burn down or something.

Hope that helps at least a little.

Yooformula
09-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Sorry nothing useful for ya but I did laugh my as$ off when I read your last line. :thumbsup :goof :rolf

wikked
09-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Or you have that old crap ass cloth wiring and it's crumbled away, exposing the wiring/touching somewhere along the piping. bzzt bzzt lol

CruxGNZ
09-01-2005, 10:41 PM
There is just a small linen closet on the other side of the shower head. The house is outfitted with newer wiring (romex) and GFCI. I tried using my multimeter on the pipes, but to no avail. Maybe the problem is intermittent? But how and why? This problem really does sound funny (making for a great mental picture "singin' in the bathtub...'ZAP' AHHHHHHH!"), but now that whole fire hazzard thing has me worried a bit. Hey Garrett, any idea's?

!M!

turbogarrett
09-01-2005, 10:51 PM
It's most likely a nuetral wire that is making contact with your water pipe. Current will then flow to ground via the path of least resistance(you, water, drain) Getting zapped is no fun, I would get that fixed sooner than later...

CruxGNZ
09-02-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks Garrett, I'll put my glasses on for the second look at all the pumbing and wiring, to make sure nothing is touching. What gets me is, how is it that I only get zapped when I touch the shower head, but not by the water that is coming out of it? It's a steady steam so...? It's one of those Sunflower shower heads (them big round suckers). It's got me stumped. Maybe there is enough space between the droplets coming out of the shower head? Hell, I don't know. I just know it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it sucks to get shocked :D .

!M!

theavenger333
09-02-2005, 04:30 AM
(imagines bart touching the electrified object in lisa's hampster experiment over and over....) :rolf :rolf

Scales
09-02-2005, 06:53 AM
(imagines bart touching the electrified object in lisa's hampster experiment over and over....) :rolf :rolf

That would be a cupcake. :thumbsup

animal
09-02-2005, 07:09 AM
-Heard eminating from the bathroom:

"ahhh. what the- ... "

-pause-

"OW, WHAT THE... ?"

That might've been mildly amusing to overhear haha.

:goof

PonyKiller87
09-02-2005, 07:22 AM
It makes sense that you dont get it from the water because the drops get enough space between them.

Lucky for you its a small closet on that wall, then if you need to open up the wall to fix it you wont have to distroy a wall in a noticeable area. Some how you have to determine where its coming from though before you start tearing into stuff to fix it. Have you tried turning the water back on and testing it? I would put the pos lead of the multimeter on the pipe where you were getting shocked and the neg in the ground of the closest outlet. Make sure your meter is on VAC.

If you cant find it try and get an electrican in there, like I said before, electrical fires are no fun. If I didnt have to go to green bay this weekend I would offer to take a look for you.

Good luck

GRNDNL
09-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Ya Ya......Electricity......Shocked......Electrocutio n...... :yawn:

Hows the car coming along, got it running yet?..... :confused :D

Ricky Bobby
09-02-2005, 08:45 AM
I did, he just thinks I'm nuts :goof .

!M!was he sober when ya asked him :goof

just tell him to come over and fix it :thumbsup

BLUTO
09-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Is the tub youre standing in cast iron? Step on a rubber mat is so,,,

Max 93
09-02-2005, 04:45 PM
That would be a cupcake. :thumbsup
your a cupcake :goof

CruxGNZ
09-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Well I think I figured it out guys. I found a copper water line that was touching some conduit. Seperated the two and no problems yet!

Ya Ya......Electricity......Shocked......Electrocutio n...... :yawn:

Hows the car coming along, got it running yet?..... :confused :D
Nope not running at the moment, very soon though. :devil Here's what I did today... fresh mild build tranny from Jimmy's in Illinois, new convertor, and driveshaft:
http://digistash.com/data/1a04f965818a8533f5613003c7db243d/4251_p89564.jpeg

BUT, the place that made my driveshaft cut it at 25 1/2" when it was supposed to be 27 1/2". Damnit...

!M!

GRNDNL
09-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Nope not running at the moment, very soon though. :devil Here's what I did today... fresh mild build tranny from Jimmy's in Illinois, new convertor, and driveshaft:
http://digistash.com/data/1a04f965818a8533f5613003c7db243d/4251_p89564.jpeg

BUT, the place that made my driveshaft cut it at 25 1/2" when it was supposed to be 27 1/2". Damnit...

!M!

Well...Stop playing in the shower and get to work........ :durr

A-1 is good at giving you what they think you need, not always what you want...... :rolleyes:

lotsals1
09-03-2005, 07:02 PM
lmao sounds like someone used the plumbling as a ground for something or another -people do that thinking that "ok the plumbling goes into the ground therefore its grounded and it works -but i think you found the down side to that --something that is plugged in is causeing a short

Yooformula
09-03-2005, 07:15 PM

"ahhh. what the- ... "

-pause-

"OW, WHAT THE... ?"

Now thats funny! :rolf

CruxGNZ
09-03-2005, 09:05 PM

"ahhh. what the- ... "

-pause-

"OW, WHAT THE... ?"

That might've been mildly amusing to overhear haha.

To be honest with ya, that is almost the exact words used... along with a few expletives. :D

!M!

DocDave
09-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Nevermind. I should read the whole post before replying.