PDA

View Full Version : Does this piss anyone else off?!

Pantera99GS
08-31-2005, 08:06 AM
From jsonline.com:

Beer-can memorial a slap in the face
Posted: Aug. 29, 2005

Mike Nichols
E-MAIL | ARCHIVE

Five people died on Highway 33 in the Town of Trenton last week because a bunch of kids, a couple only 16 years old, went out drinking, rocketed into the back of another car, veered wildly over a center line and killed not just themselves but an elderly couple on the way home from a medical appointment.

And how do their friends remember them?

By going to the scene of the crash and - as part of some sort of perverse tribute to the deceased - drinking some more.

Along with the flowers, candles, a cross and some Led Zeppelin cassette tapes left at a memorial formed along the side of the highway by Monday morning were two cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

"This ones for you, Bitchatanen," was written in black marker on one of the empty cans. "Always remember you."
58112Deadly Crash

Click to enlarge

Timothy S. Beck
Related Coverage
Nichols: Beer cans at memorial a perverse tribute
Collision: Beer was the fuel in crash that killed 5
About The Victims
Timothy Beck
Aaron Buchanan
Michael Terrien
Karl and Lavera Bretschneider
Recent Coverage
8/26/05: Nichols: Victims' lifestyles a study in contrasts
8/26/05: Driver, 16, drank before fatal crash, police told
8/26/05: Video: TMJ4 report
Advertisement

On another Pabst can left nearby was a more succinct and oddly blithe message. "See ya later Mike!" Signed, "Tom."

Written amid all sorts of other messages on a sheet of cardboard nearby, in the meantime, was a quote attributed to "Ozzy."

"Live hard. Party Hard. Party to the death."

And never mind, I guess, who you take with you.

The driver of the Ford Taurus that careened violently out of control, Timothy Beck, was 16 years old and had a blood-alcohol level of 0.16 - twice what the state considers evidence of intoxication, even for someone able to drink legally.

Maybe forgiveness will come quicker because youth and misjudgment, even the idiotic variety, are often companions. Plus, the boy is among those gone and leaves behind a grieving family that told a reporter at this paper Monday afternoon that they'd warned their son about drinking and driving.

But for any number of others also left behind, friends of some of these kids, to fail, even now, to recognize what investigators say helped cause five deaths is, in the words of Ronald Kabitzke, "sick."
A daily reminder

Kabitzke didn't just know Karl and Lavera Bretschneider. He is married to their daughter, Kathleen.

The accident happened Thursday evening and, because they live in Newburg, the Kabitzkes had already driven past the scene probably eight times by Sunday morning. On their way to breakfast and church in West Bend, they drove by it again, said Ronald, at 6:45 a.m.

On both sides of the road, he said, were beer bottles and cans that appeared to have been left behind since the accident. Perhaps four Coors bottles were on the north side, he said, while a handful of Budweiser cans were on the south.

"It just blew us apart," he said.

"These kids," he said, "are celebrating by drinking and doing the very same thing that took all (those) lives."

Jakki Unertl, a 17-year-old friend of Beck's, said Monday that she was one of the kids who left a beer can there.

"I left a High Life can for Timmy," she said.

Unertl said she didn't drink her beer at the scene of the accident, but conceded that others had - and responded angrily when I asked her if she saw anything wrong with that.

"You guys make it seem like Timmy was completely trashed, couldn't even walk," she said.

Speeding, she contended, "was a factor, not the alcohol."

She is wrong, according to the Washington County Sheriff's Department.

Sheriff Brian Rahn, who said last week that the boys and men in the Taurus were drinking at Tendick Nature Park's disc golf course in the Town of Saukville before the crash, identified the beer cans found at the scene of the accident as "Classic."

I found plenty of cans labeled "Classic Lager" at Tendick when I was there Friday morning: Classic cans in the trash at tee No. 2, Classic cans in the trash at tee No. 5, Classic cans in the trash on tee No. 17, Classic cans crushed and left on the ground on tee No. 18.

Now their friends are leaving cans where they died.

"This was their way of showing their respect for their friends," said Kabitzke. "Oh, my gosh."

Today, the Kabitzkes and the Bretschneiders' other relatives will hold a visitation and funeral for Karl and Lavera. Tomorrow, they bury them.

"We have been through a lot with this," Kabitzke said, and the kids drinking at the crash scene "have made it worse."

"Nobody gives a damn about (Kathleen's) parents; it is all about the kids."

Lots of folks drank irresponsibly when they were underage. Lots of folks also learned from it. The sheriff wonders if kids don't get the message now, how they ever will.

"If they think that is OK," Rahn said, "I think they are headed down the same road their friends headed down."

Over at West Bend East, where Beck went to school, grief counselors have been available for any kids who might need them.

Fine.

But Ronald Kabitzke has a better idea.

"I told my wife," Kabitzke said, "I want to go to the school principal and (tell her to) get rid of the grief counselors and bring in the alcohol counselors."

------------------------------

My opinion: I'd like to beat the **** out of these kids. And backhand the parents for having children that are that damn stupid.

Neal Steffek
08-31-2005, 08:15 AM
they are loseres who should have died, and god is working on killing their friends. Just sucks they took some other people with them.

wikked
08-31-2005, 10:43 AM
Natural selection/darwin/thinning the herd... give it time :devil

jbiscuit
08-31-2005, 10:46 AM
saw this on the news last night. How disrespectful to the families. One of the memos read "party hard. party till you die." What retard writes that as a memo to someone that has just passed due to an alcohol-related car crash? I hate teenagers nowadays. They make me sick

Pantera99GS
08-31-2005, 10:54 AM
saw this on the news last night. How disrespectful to the families. One of the memos read "party hard. party till you die." What retard writes that as a memo to someone that has just passed due to an alcohol-related car crash? I hate teenagers nowadays. They make me sick

Good- I thought I was the only one turning into one bitter 24year old. Kids seem to be ever more retarded than when I was in high school.

Rocket Power
08-31-2005, 11:03 AM
Good- I thought I was the only one turning into one bitter 24year old. Kids seem to be ever more retarded than when I was in high school.
Wait till you get in your 30's :goof
I thought maybe it was just me getting old, but yeah kids today (with some exceptions) seem to be more annoying and stupid than when I was their age

animal
08-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Don't single out kids. People, in general, are becoming worse and worse.

And I just get more pissed off as days go on.

On the bright side of it, I'll never run out of things to put on my list.

Crawlin
08-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Where's that cross section/intersection again?

i'm going up there to put up a sign that says, "when was the last time we celebrated the death of a murderer?"

Pantera99GS
08-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Don't single out kids. People, in general, are becoming worse and worse.

And I just get more pissed off as days go on.

On the bright side of it, I'll never run out of things to put on my list.

No kidding- example, the people in New Orleans and the crazy looting. Look if you've got a family starving, then stealing food is key to survival- but the assholes that are stealing TV's, jewelry and cash deserve to be beat.

Chris- I couldnt agree more. I'm having a hard time sympathizing with that kids parents since it was his own stupidity and lack of common sense that got him killed.

animal
08-31-2005, 02:16 PM
Look if you've got a family starving, then stealing food is key to survival- but the assholes that are stealing TV's, jewelry and cash deserve to be beat.

One could argue against stealing food honestly. Cause it'd come down to an individual basis of who needs it more at that point. But one could also argue the "key" to survival was getting the f out of dodge in the first place. Taking a TV, or other stupid crap should always mean a bullet in the head imho, down there or otherwise. But that's really not all that related to this topic so I'll stop there.

HITMAN
09-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Taking a TV, or other stupid crap should always mean a bullet in the head imho, down there or otherwise.

Are you from Montana?

animal
09-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Are you from Montana?

Sometimes I wish I was. :)

PonyKiller87
09-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Plus, the boy is among those gone and leaves behind a grieving family that told a reporter at this paper Monday afternoon that they'd warned their son about drinking and driving.

Anyone else hear think this is most likely the root of the problem?

Am I the only one that would not have been warned about drinking and driving from my parents? If my parents though I was drinking and driving at that age first they would have took my keys, then they would have kicked my ass for drinking, then for drinking and driving, and probably once more for being a dumb ass. And to tell you the truth Im kinda glad it was that way.

If all a parent can do is warn or suggest that their kid does the right thing then its no wonder stuff like this happens. People need to learn how to raise thier kids with at least a little disapline and brians.

nidex
09-02-2005, 08:15 AM
What a bunch of ******* morons. Somebody that lives close should go take a **** on the memorial.

Cryptic
09-02-2005, 09:41 AM
People need to learn how to raise thier kids with at least a little disapline and brians.

That's sig material right there :rolf :rolf

jersyboyy
09-03-2005, 02:19 PM
SO yea im 16 and yes i use to drink but after alot of partying and finally seeing my freinds drunk while i was sober i reali dont think its all that great. If you have to drink to be cool atract people and get chicks then ur gay give up on life!! those kids were retarts drinking at a golf coarse ...wait 4 more years and drink at a bar why drink with 1 guy at a golf coarse and think your cool! omg im tired of all these retarted ass kids these days they got it to easy thats all it is and they have nothing better to do with their lives so they drink and take away theirs and others lives!!!! DAMN

slow85vette
09-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Personally I knew Aaron, Mike, Tim,and the only suvivor in Tim's car, Andy. (Andy was wearing his seat belt unlike the others.) I even dated Aaron for awhile but that's besides the point. Drinking was a huge part of their life especially Tim's and Mike's. And it was only a matter of time before alcohol killed them. But I feel for the other families becuz they didn't deserve any of ****.

And you would be surprised how many people drive drunk or atleast have alcohol in their system. I work at a gas station down in Jackson that's open 24 hours and I often get stuck working graveyard and I would have atleast 10 drunks in from 11pm to 6am.

AM