PDA

View Full Version : real or real good photoshop?

u_say_go
08-27-2005, 06:15 PM
supposedly this pic was taken on Lake Mendota. The northern on the line is said to be 25". you make the call......real or real good photoshop?

nismodave
08-27-2005, 06:18 PM
What is that supposed to be eating the Northern??

PonyKiller87
08-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Its supposed to be a musky, but I say its photoshop, if that northern is 25" when that musky is like 60" and way bigger than the record holder thats on display at sportsmans warehouse.

T-Bag
08-27-2005, 06:21 PM
I'm never swimming in a lake again

Russ Jerome
08-27-2005, 06:25 PM
The Northern on hook would apear to be pretty wimpy size.
By scale size to the lure it would not be unlikely. The PIC is
somewhat suspect only by the length of the monster compared
to it's head. One day on Pewaukee watching gator sized musky
chase your lure is enought to think anything is possible :)

My wife after watching a HUGE Musky try and catch a 9"
jerk bait on Pewaukee: I dont want our kids to swim in this
place ever again....

wikked
08-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Load it into a hex editor and if it's photochopped the first line or 2 will say something about Adobe Photoshop.

u_say_go
08-27-2005, 08:27 PM
what made me suspect it was a fake, there are no ripples in the water. The bigger fish appears to have the same markings as a Northern. I dunno... cool pic real or fake.

lotsals1
08-27-2005, 09:35 PM
i would say its 100% real -the hook ? Wtf northerns eat anything and i have had this happen to me a ton of time . It is no different than useing a sucker -90% of the time you never know there is a big sob on it .hell sometimes it takes them 15 min. to fully take it --the big ones are big for a reason ;)
any musky under 40 inches is still a baby in my book . I think it is a bad ass photo -and most likely taken in canada where northerns are 50 inches plus and that looks like a northern and not a musky to me witch to me is even more impressive since a musky that big are very common to where a 45 plus inch northern is very rare :headbang

USMARINE1108
08-27-2005, 09:53 PM
where did you get that pic from?

u_say_go
08-27-2005, 11:01 PM
friend of mine emailed it to me. His family has a guide service and the pic was taken last week. I have reasons to doubt the photo, but not him, So I'm going with lotsals1 and saying its real. I'll see if he has more pics.

steffo
08-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Did your friend say that he took the photo? Because my dad just came across that pic a few weeks ago and sent it to someone we know up north that is also a guide. Seems to me like that pic is starting to make it's internet rounds, but it still may be real.

TransAm12sec
08-28-2005, 12:19 AM
Load it into a hex editor and if it's photochopped the first line or 2 will say something about Adobe Photoshop.

Anyone have a hex editor?

Lash
08-28-2005, 01:21 AM
Real.

That picture was actually originally taken from a guys nephew at work. His nephew is a semi-pro fisherman. I dont think the fish never made it into the boat. I saw that picture about 2-3 months ago.

TransAm12sec
08-28-2005, 01:55 AM
ok, I can't say I'm 100% sure it's real, but if it's real,

wtf is that?

ScottyB14
08-28-2005, 01:56 AM
i would say its 100% real -the hook ? Wtf northerns eat anything and i have had this happen to me a ton of time . It is no different than useing a sucker -90% of the time you never know there is a big sob on it .hell sometimes it takes them 15 min. to fully take it --the big ones are big for a reason ;)
any musky under 40 inches is still a baby in my book . I think it is a bad ass photo -and most likely taken in canada where northerns are 50 inches plus and that looks like a northern and not a musky to me witch to me is even more impressive since a musky that big are very common to where a 45 plus inch northern is very rare :headbang
i agree totally, i say that it is all real. whether or not the original northern is 25 may be questionable but i saw that the other northern or musky attcking the smaller one is totally real. I think its an awesome pic. also anyone who has ever fished for northen or musky should know that this is possibe and probably true.

y2kws6
08-28-2005, 02:08 AM
My only questions are:
"Who is going to have a camera ready for that picture?"

"How did they time the camera shot so perfect to get both creatures in the pic?"

"Would the larger fish attempt to grab the other fish and dive right back down to the bottom? Which in turn would make a large ripple within the water."

Dan

Al
08-28-2005, 02:59 AM
I think that the fish on the line is much shorter than 24 inches. Probably 12-14. If it is 24 inches, that line must be a 400 lb test or close to it.

My guess on the photo is that the smaller fish was exhausted from a fight when it was originally caught. It was then left on the hook at the surface so that a bigger fish could come along and get it.

If the fisher was a pro, he could have definitely set the stage for this photo.

Speaking of caught fish being caught, I went up north a few weeks ago and my friends younger daughter caught a bluegill. She left the fish on the line and let it swim out so she could reel it in again. After 10 minutes of that, she said "it's fighting now!" Her dad reeled in the remaining half of the fish. Looked like "chester" got him.

wikked
08-28-2005, 03:57 AM
It's not photoshopped.
There are mentions of Adobe Photoshop 7.0 & resizing of the pic, but there's nothing that says any filters or editing was done to it.
The EXIF data is still there as well, saying it was taken with a Sony Cybershot cam, at least I think that's how that works.

I compared it with a pic I chopped, and there was no cam info anymore after saving it.

EXIF data will not be saved if you do a normal "save or save for the web" or if you edit the file. Resizing doesn't count as editing.

There also wasn't any blurring or softening around the area where you'd expect to find it in that pic, like the mouths and around the fish outline if it was pasted in.

go me @ 4:05am. :goof

Silver03SRT
08-28-2005, 09:37 AM
I believe it could happen. When I go sucker fishing in the fall we use suckers that are 20" or bigger and catch 45" musky on them. I dont think that the fish is near the record. The record musky is like 69 pounds. I would say a mid 50" musky there eating a small 25" northern. I have seen a musky eat a full grown duck before.

Silver03SRT
08-28-2005, 09:43 AM
I think that the fish on the line is much shorter than 24 inches. Probably 12-14. If it is 24 inches, that line must be a 400 lb test or close to it.

My guess on the photo is that the smaller fish was exhausted from a fight when it was originally caught. It was then left on the hook at the surface so that a bigger fish could come along and get it.

If the fisher was a pro, he could have definitely set the stage for this photo.
That fish is around 24" trust me i have seen enough northern. And you dont need strong line all the time. My dad caught a 20lb. musky on 12lb. test line. It all depends on the rod and the way you have your drag set.
Like someone else said though to have the camera ready for something like that is pretty hard to believe.

steffo
08-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Unless they were getting a pic of their catch (the smaller fish) and the big one came up just as they were ready to take the picture. It could happen. I know my dad likes to take pictures of the fish when they are still in the water.

u_say_go
08-29-2005, 07:58 AM
24 INCHES, not feet! why would you need 400lb test line to catch a 24 inch fish???

Lash
08-29-2005, 02:40 PM
Do they even use 400 lb. test in the ocean?

Anakonda69
08-29-2005, 03:18 PM
my boss has that pic and there is a story or somthing about it online. it's a northern eating a northern. not a musky. i think it's real.

DirtyMax
08-29-2005, 04:29 PM
I'll leave it up to the jury to decide it's authenticity but I will say it's a badazz pic none the less. :wooo

DRK
08-29-2005, 04:32 PM
There are 50+inch Muskys in the Madison Lakes. Lake Mendota is the largest of those. There are Gar that are 60+inches in those same lakes (the reason I quit skinny dipping), can you say trolling :eek:

Cryptic
08-29-2005, 04:43 PM
from photoshop image browser.

Exif data is intact. I'm pretty sure that means its not edited

ScottyB14
08-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Ive fished on the lakes in madison quite a number of times with my dad and i know the lakes have serious potential for producing some of the biggest northern in the area. I believe the size limit on the lakes for northen is 36in, everywhere else its 26in so that says something about how they want their fish to grow. the biggest northern we caught was 39in in winter. But the picture is totally real. The bigger northern in the picture well over 40inchs probably closer to 55-60in. Nice picture tho.

Cjburn
08-29-2005, 06:39 PM
This has to be EXACT timing. I have seen this happen several times, once on a Fly-in fishing camp when I was about 17 (Canada) there was no other way to the lake and another time when I was up north when I was really young. An older lady was fishing for Bluegill on a flowage and the northern just about pulled her off of her lawnchair while pulling the bluegill off the line. This happens SO fast it's almost unthinkable that it could happen. I've gone to Canada three times in my life for fishing, and I can tell you fisherman out there, it's worth every penny. One suggestion, go north, real north, and you'll be freaked out how much fun fishing can be. I'm not real big on fishing, much rather hunt, but I'd wouldn't mind dropping some coin to go back to Canada, every time, it's an absolute blast.

Al
08-30-2005, 12:45 AM
Does anyone else think that the line used to hook the smaller northern is "thick" for such apps?

ScottyB14
08-30-2005, 02:22 AM
the small ones have teeth too. :D

DirtyMax
08-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Does anyone else think that the line used to hook the smaller northern is "thick" for such apps?

That's likely a leader (look farther up the line where it is attached). Steel or firewire probably.

PonyKiller87
08-30-2005, 10:16 AM
I still think its BS. I did some searching and found at least 10 different stories as to where this picture came from and some of them were over a year old yet that photoshop data shows it being pretty recent.

I agree yes it definatly could happen, but you would have to be waiting with the camera to catch it on film.

It looks like that first northern is hooked pretty good so I would imagine it was pulled into the boat. Now I dont know about you guys but if I had something like that happen I would also be getting a picture of me holding the small northern with the huge bite marks in it. So until I see other pics to go with it, I believe its a fake.

Silver03SRT
08-30-2005, 07:47 PM
It looks like its just a bottom bouncer or something. i dont think that it is a wire leader. The more i look at the fish the more it looks like a northern. I heard that the lake has huge northern in it.

Al
08-31-2005, 12:17 AM
It looks like its just a bottom bouncer or something. i dont think that it is a wire leader. The more i look at the fish the more it looks like a northern. I heard that the lake has huge northern in it.

Michigan?

Silver03SRT
08-31-2005, 12:41 PM
what about MI? Lake Mendota is in madison.

lotsals1
08-31-2005, 02:20 PM
the line is like 15 lb test with a steel liter "witch you need or a northern will bite right through it --Midnight T/A and i were fishin in waukesha by his house i had 3 of them bite through my line -and i landed 3 or 4 and i use line made out of KEVLAR !.There is absoulutly no doubt to me this is a real pick -my guess they saw the big one tag the small one minutes before "note the teeth marks on the smaller one further down the fish ;) " And if you know preditor fish they dont give up and i bet they waited for it to come back again and take a second shot at eating it --i know that lake mendota has big pike
Hell there are 40lb northerns in lake mi. I never got one over 44 inches and mabe 15-18 lbs--and i beleive the smaller one is 24-26 inches due to the length of the 18 inch liter on the line :thumbsup

Al
04-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Thread Resurection!

Look what I found: Pike-eat-Pike (video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K45YcVyAATw

DirtyMax
04-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Real or not... I'd crap if it happened to me while fishing... :wooo

flyin_blue_egg
04-11-2007, 11:12 PM
i would say that it may be real...but it definatly not from anywhere in WI....maybe way the fvck up north

on a side note....why was the video so long, it was pretty much the same thing the whole time??

MurphysLaw88GT
04-11-2007, 11:32 PM
that shit is older than hell, i think the record musky was caught near winter, WI....right

oh yeak, chippewa flowage. (69 1/4 lbs?)

SouthSide1
04-12-2007, 02:37 PM
this has beeen on lake link it is real and its from somewere in canada

PureSound15
04-12-2007, 02:44 PM
It's real, there are more pictures once they got both fish into the boat.

I have them in an email somewhere, I'll find em and post them if I can

Nix
04-12-2007, 02:59 PM
That is a big ass Pike!!!:wooo

TopStreetDsm
04-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Sorry to but in but click the link...

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17494

Looks real to me. :thumbsup

u_say_go
04-13-2007, 04:41 PM
damn, people...welcome to 2 years ago!

Brandon W.
04-13-2007, 05:32 PM
that picture is old as hell..saw like a year ago.

Arigmaster
04-13-2007, 08:10 PM
I just wanna know what lake that thing is in... I'll never ever water ski there.

Looks like an alligator with a birth defect! :stare No way I wanna be bobbing around waiting for the boat to come back for me...