PDA

View Full Version : helmet to race at gld?

Cleveland Dave
08-26-2005, 11:45 AM
i was reading the FAQ at GLD....i need a helmet if i run faster then 13.99??

would a motorcycle helmet work or do i have to get something else and if so what? anybody ever rented one there how much is that?

GRM-REPR
08-26-2005, 11:46 AM
It's always been like that.

You can use whatever helmet you want. Or rent one for 15 bux at GLD, here is a tip, if you rent one, use some spray deoderant in it cuz they stink :rolf

juicedimpss
08-26-2005, 11:46 AM
motorcycle helmet is fine

Cleveland Dave
08-26-2005, 11:49 AM
It's always been like that.

You can use whatever helmet you want. Or rent one for 15 bux at GLD, here is a tip, if you rent one, use some spray deoderant in it cuz they stink :rolf

well i didnt know i never had a car faster then 16.70 before :goof

thanks for the info :thumbsup

Cryptic
08-26-2005, 12:21 PM
I believe it just has to have a SNELL rating

a Snowmobile helmet would NOT quailfy as it does NOT have a SNELL rating.

Syclone0044
08-26-2005, 12:38 PM
You'll be fine dude. Just as long as the helmet looks decent. Open face, closed face, doesn't matter. I've never had mine looked at. At Road America is a different story, you need a Snell helmet with "SN95 or newer" certification and those helmets are like $300, big difference, and nobody is going to "accidentally" happen to have a $300 helmet.. The only way I got one is because my cousin has a 9.40's drag car and he needed one for that, so he lent it to me for the RA trip.

wikked
08-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Or rent one for 15 bux at GLD

$15! :wow do they take your money with a gun & ski mask?

LIL EVO
08-26-2005, 01:12 PM
You can pretty much wear a BELL bicycle helmet.

Scales
08-26-2005, 02:28 PM
I believe it just has to have a SNELL rating

a Snowmobile helmet would NOT quailfy as it does NOT have a SNELL rating.
I wore a snowmobile helmet when I went and it was fine. You can probably even see it in my sig...

jbiscuit
08-26-2005, 02:35 PM
ha ha ha ha...I can see it in your sig, ha ha ha ha......are you sure you NEED a helmet for times faster than 13.99? I went faster than that without a helmet :thumbsup :)

jbiscuit
08-26-2005, 02:40 PM
show up wearing this:

http://www.fanhut.com/Images/mini_revolution/Buffalo.jpg

Cryptic
08-26-2005, 02:44 PM
if they were to actually check your helmet... you wouldnt be able to run unless its SNELL approved is what I am getting at.

But if your running traps under 110mph, they probably really dont give a damn.

Cleveland Dave
08-26-2005, 02:48 PM
are you sure you NEED a helmet for times faster than 13.99? I went faster than that without a helmet :thumbsup :)

see thats what i was thinking...i thought it was if u ran 12's or under u had to wear a helmet.

Scales
08-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Quoted from www.greatlakesdragaway.com

QUESTION: "I'm new to this sport, what do I need to bring with me so I can race my car?"

Answer: You need to bring a helmet if your car is capable of running 13.99 or faster. If you aren't sure, bring a helmet anyway. We also offer helmet rentals at the track, however we cannot guarantee that there will be any left when you arrive. You must be sure that your car has a "coolant catch can" which is basically an over-flow bottle that catches antifreeze/coolant should your car boil-over. Must cars come standard with a catch-can, however, older cars may not have one. Double check this before you drive to the track. You also need to be sure you are wearing long pants and no "sleeveless" type shirts allowed.

BLUTO
08-26-2005, 03:42 PM
$15! :wow do they take your money with a gun & ski mask?

Yes

SlowStee
08-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Quoted from www.greatlakesdragaway.com

QUESTION: "I'm new to this sport, what do I need to bring with me so I can race my car?"

Answer: You need to bring a helmet if your car is capable of running 13.99 or faster. If you aren't sure, bring a helmet anyway. We also offer helmet rentals at the track, however we cannot guarantee that there will be any left when you arrive. You must be sure that your car has a "coolant catch can" which is basically an over-flow bottle that catches antifreeze/coolant should your car boil-over. Must cars come standard with a catch-can, however, older cars may not have one. Double check this before you drive to the track. You also need to be sure you are wearing long pants and no "sleeveless" type shirts allowed.
You cant wear shorts to the track :confused

Cleveland Dave
08-26-2005, 04:17 PM
i knew about that from before. the tech in guy checks for that

0TransAm0
08-26-2005, 04:22 PM
last time i rented a helmet it was 10$

Crawlin
08-26-2005, 04:23 PM
you cannot race while wearing shorts

Poncho
08-27-2005, 03:33 AM
lol, they bitched @ me two years ago when I cracked 13's w/ a 13.96. like damn your gonna kick me out for running three thousandths into your rule.

all I know is when I go sept 11th before I call it quits on the GTP, my pig better jump from low 14's to high 12's. :fire

SlowMotion
08-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Better get race gas and a 2.8 on there dan...good luck..and you will definitely need a helmet this time...

Poncho
08-27-2005, 04:51 PM
amazing I'm gonna sell it but I'm gonna mod it a little more so I can finally say.

"There, it's done. Exactly what I envisioned two years ago, when I purchased it"

Nix
08-27-2005, 06:08 PM
A couple years ago when I had my 94' Z28 I hit a 13.7 and then told me I needed a helmet and I could rent one at the "black trailor" I went up there to rent one and they take your license and the cash but then the lady came back and said "sorry we are out of helmets to rent" and gave me back my license and they wouldnt let me run anymore that night. Even after I told the track preps. It really pissed me off only cause I got a few runs in and after paying out my arse to run my car, I got screwed. If anyone ever has a thought that their car will run better than a 13.9 just bring the helmet incase so you dont get shafted. :thumbsup

Cleveland Dave
08-27-2005, 10:08 PM
well i wore my helmet 6 out of the 9 passes...the last 3 i said **** it since i was running people that were faster then me without helmets and nobody said a thing to me