PDA

View Full Version : Syclone runs again!

Syclone0044
08-26-2005, 02:08 AM
Well after spending a year in Transmission Rebuilding Hell, my truck lives once again!!

I FINALLY solved the problems plaguing my new 700-R4 transmission build.. I actually got 90% finshed on Saturday and took it out that night to try and surprise everyone at Oscar's but the trip was ill-fated, the battery died when I got to Milwaukee and I had to ask some dude for a jump coming out of a coffee shop, a few other setbacks/mishaps, and by the time I got to Oscar's everyone had left early. http://s95370645.onlinehome.us/images/misc/dunno.gif So Monday night I figured out the rest of the major problems with the tranny (and bought a new battery) and took it out Tuesday night. A lot of people were at Oscars and they acted like they saw a ghost. :goof I even gave a few rides.

To make a very long and painful story shorter, pretty much nobody builds a 4WD 700R4 to go fast, and there are a number of highly unusual and specific features that a high torque Syclone/Typhoon 4WD 700R4 transmission must have, and my builder pretty much flubbed on every one of them. It got pulled back out and sent to him to re-do, and when I got it back it had a different valve body and I spent about 4 months trying to recalibrate it into something that works properly. Major problems included extremely early part throttle shifts (in 3rd gear before 16mph), incorrect WOT shifts, lack of a 3-4 WOT upshift (necessary for me to get thru the traps on a 4500 RPM redline motor) as well as no converter clutch lockup (which means no transmission cooler circuit operation). Sounds simple but ended up being oh-so-tricky to solve. I had to come up with most of the solutions myself, which was no small feat for me given that I had no transmission experience. It involved an incredible amount of "test, jack up truck, drain pan, pull valve body or change parts or change governor, reassemble & refill transmission, repeat" cycles which all told, probably represent about 300 hours of my time invested and a lot of ATF in my hair, ears, and face.. :( The fun started back in March when I got to chase case threads with a tap on 10 completely stripped holes out of 16, turning the tap with a f'n 3 inch ignition wrench until I couldn't bend my fingers for 2 days.

Anyways the end result is that things miraculously came together right when I was near the breaking point (I felt 1 year was patient enough, and time to cut my losses). Now the transmission shifts extremely well. Shifts are more firm than any 4spd automatic I can remember riding in. I have even got a few barks on the 1-2 shift at both part throttle and WOT (remember it's AWD!). The builder also managed to make a serious effort to make things right and compensate for his mistakes. :thumbsup

So now that I got a well built converter and tranny (spared no expense) I can return to my regularly scheduled engine-tuning program. Hope this tranny lasts half as long as the stock one did (approx 3000 1/4 mi passes street/strip, 68,000 miles, 200 miles Road America :stare )

I made two videos to demonstrate the shifts. I have the engine on a mild tune for the time being to keep performance consistent while I finish dialing in the trans. Listen to the quick 2-3 shift!

Outside of truck.
http://s95370645.onlinehome.us/syclone/files/cktrans1.mpg

Inside truck
http://s95370645.onlinehome.us/syclone/files/cktrans1incar.mpg

ponyride00
08-26-2005, 05:38 AM
Thats awesome. Glad to see the truck is running again.

WilliamZ
08-26-2005, 06:06 AM
Very nice! :thumbsup

Corvette Jabo
08-26-2005, 09:41 AM
Sweet!

Jabo
:)

Pantera99GS
08-26-2005, 10:31 AM
Good for you man! Thats gotta feel good to get it running after all this time. :thumbsup

Syclone0044
08-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Good for you man! Thats gotta feel good to get it running after all this time. :thumbsup Thanks, it does feel like a big relief. I feel like I bought a 2nd car, not used to parking and coming back and realizing that's my ride I drove here. :D

It was a lot of BS but in the end I learned a lot on auto trannys and I knew the only way to get what I really wanted (full functioning 4spd automatic overdrive) I would have to keep trying until I figured it out.

Al
08-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Great!

...but what is WOT?

Syclone0044
08-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Great!

...but what is WOT? Wide Open Throttle

SlowStee
08-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Just in time for KOTH Josh!! Good job, I need to see and ride in this beast :drool:

T-Bag
08-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Saw you up there with it on wednesday. I was gonna ask for a ride but I was doing the "security" at oscar's. One of these days when I see ya up there

Glad to see it going after all this time, I bet it's a big relief.

Brian98GTP
08-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Wow!

Congrats on taking on such a project and sticking with it all the way through, even though it was all new to you!
Thats awesome Josh!

Brian

USMARINE1108
08-26-2005, 09:20 PM
I was just wondering what the deal was with your sig. Glad you got it all figgured out! That thing sounds mean.

Poncho
08-27-2005, 03:39 AM
out of curiousity what's making you shift @ 4500? stock cam, stock rockers?? that's a damn low shift point.

Good to see you got it alive again. I take it you've been tooling around in the TGP??? I keep seeing one in Hartford w/ an older gentelman, thinkin' it's gonna be you in it. I know I've seen you a few times in the TGP.

and FWIW, the one I keep seeing in Hartford looks damn clean for an 89/90. Musta been repainted cuz all the bright red paint is still there and intact, as is the lower air dam.

350-Z28
08-27-2005, 09:46 AM
Never saw a syclone up close, but glad to hear you got it running, Gale Banks is a god I tell you. Maybe we could meet up sometime and you could see my roughly tuned ugly Z. Anyways congrats on gettin her back.

Syclone0044
08-27-2005, 11:39 AM
out of curiousity what's making you shift @ 4500? stock cam, stock rockers?? that's a damn low shift point. Yeah its probably the lowest shift point of any performance vehicle in the last 25 years. They took the PURE truck motor right out of the 4.3 Sonoma and didn't change anything but the main caps and piston casting. So it still has a stump-pulling cam and the most pathetic set of heads, it may be the same head casting as an early TPI 350, these flow about 160cfm. The cam is something like .351/.391 and 179*/191* and yes that's at .050". So the power peak comes around 4200 RPM. Not many people realize that, which works to my advantage when it comes to competition with other stock-motor SyTys. :shades The low RPM also eliminates that awful buzzy V6 sound.

Good to see you got it alive again. I take it you've been tooling around in the TGP??? I keep seeing one in Hartford w/ an older gentelman, thinkin' it's gonna be you in it. I know I've seen you a few times in the TGP.

and FWIW, the one I keep seeing in Hartford looks damn clean for an 89/90. Musta been repainted cuz all the bright red paint is still there and intact, as is the lower air dam. There is an older guy in Hartford/Slinger with one, I have seen your car a few times lately so maybe it was me some of those times. Mine still has pretty good paint and the lower air dam is 100% in tact because I had it replaced and upgraded to a later design when I bought the car. Any of those cars with that goofy air dam (early GTP, TGP, Beretta etc.) look like complete ass when the air dam is busted, IMO, so replacement was not optional for me.

Poncho
08-27-2005, 01:57 PM
i swear very few B4M/B4U from 89-93 survived w/ the air dam actually still there.

Don't know why it breaks so much, never saw a 94-96 B4U w/ the front all busted like that. (though it is all one piece, that might be part of it)

carbon04
08-27-2005, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=Syclone0044]Yeah its probably the lowest shift point of any performance vehicle in the last 25 years.

I got you beat...........................3200rpms :thumbsup

Poncho
08-27-2005, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=Syclone0044]Yeah its probably the lowest shift point of any performance vehicle in the last 25 years.

I got you beat...........................3200rpms :thumbsup

he said performance vehicle. :rolf :confused I stall @ 3200 :D