PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices . . .

SMS 1
08-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Just thought I'd pop in and share this one I found from my vacation last year. By my estimates we will be over $3.00/gal by early next week :fire

http://aurigenmedia.com/weekly/gas5083.jpg

jbiscuit
08-15-2005, 02:32 PM
I paid $2.98 for premium in Oak Creek Saturday afternoon...it was the most I have ever paid for gas ever. Its only going to get worse.

V3rtigo
08-15-2005, 02:38 PM
its only going to get worse... until we're all forced to ride bicycles around :banana

u_say_go
08-15-2005, 02:40 PM
after this comment, I'm 99% sure this thread will go to 4 or 5 pages........
What has President Bush done to help control this problem with gas prices becoming so ridiculous. I'd like to hear some ANSWERS, not just general rambling about how great he is. Let's have it.

Firefighter Z
08-15-2005, 02:42 PM
I just saw that at some gas stations its already $2.85 and the highest for regular that we've seen so far was 2.90 :stare premium I don't even want to go there its already 3.10....Im hoping this doesnt last long but I dont think there is any end in site for awhile at least.

wikked
08-15-2005, 02:45 PM
I was takin a lap or 3 before going home last nite and they were changing prices on the signs while I was filling up... so I snuck in $2.85 for premium :mad: before they changed it to $2.95 on the pump.
:gay

jbiscuit
08-15-2005, 02:55 PM
its ridiculous. I seriously have to cut back on my driving now cuz I don't want to keep spending $38 to fill my tank in a 4 cylinder car when I was spending $22-23 just a couple months ago. Thats a HUGE increase.

Nix
08-15-2005, 03:01 PM
This is exactly why my Firebird has not hit the streets on a regular basis for almost a month now, probably more! Its all a bunch of crap. :flipoff2:

animal
08-15-2005, 03:10 PM
its ridiculous. I seriously have to cut back on my driving now cuz I don't want to keep spending $38 to fill my tank in a 4 cylinder car when I was spending $22-23 just a couple months ago. Thats a HUGE increase.

My truck is $70/tank :) Eh... only $20 more than the last time I filled, but I easily spend that at the bar so it doesn't really seem like that much of an impact to me.

It is getting harder and harder mentally to keep turning off the overdrive on ozone action day tho. But I still do out of spite.

Syclone0044
08-15-2005, 03:45 PM
I saw Premium 2.89/gal at all the "expensive" places Friday night. Saturday I spotted a BP/Amoco in West Bend with Premium for 2.71/gal and almost filled up but I already had 3/4 tank. Sunday I checked again.. it went down to 2.68!! :stare :confused

I'm gonna check it today to see what it is..

PS: I agree with the post above; Bush hasn't done shlt unless you count granting a tax credit to people who buy hybrid vehicles? :lame:

STKMACH
08-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Had this pic e-mailed to me Funny, But not funny

Syclone0044
08-15-2005, 04:29 PM
(Dow Jones) US Retail Gasoline Avg Price Up 18.2c On Wk To $2.55

US retail gasoline prices surged ahead 18.2 cents in the latest week, the Energy Information Administration said in its weekly report.

Gasoline prices climbed to $2.550 for the week ending August 15, the EIA said.

The Midwest, which had two major refinery outages, and Gulf Coast, both showed gains of more than 20 cents a gallon.

In response to a wave of operational problems at refineries, traders in the futures and spot markets concerned about tightening fuel supply bid prices sharply higher last week.

The EIA's price data are collected through a survey of 900 retail outlets.

Region Change Vs Price
Week Ago Per Gallon
East Coast +19.7c $2.546
Midwest +20.2c $2.531
Gulf Coast +20.6c $2.488
Rocky Mountains +12.2c $2.440
West Coast +10.2c $2.669
California +11.5c $2.716

Another article exerpt on refinery outages:

The rash of refinery problems in the last several weeks, which have seen five fires and disruptions at major processing units, came at a time when refiners are trying to run flat out to meet heavy demand for gasoline, diesel and jet fuel. The outages have put added stress on already constrained U.S. fuel production capacity.

Refinery outages in the past three weeks have involved units at about a dozen refineries that together have the capacity to run 3.5 million barrels a day of oil, some 20% of total U.S. capacity. Estimating exactly how much fuel production has been affected is difficult, given the complexity of refinery operations. That uncertainty has also helped send prices rocketing higher.

JC70SS
08-15-2005, 06:26 PM
If those stupid left wing hippies wouldn't have a fit everytime we try to build a new refinery we wouldn't have this problem. I think the last one built was in the 70's. :fire

Silver03SRT
08-15-2005, 06:29 PM
what can bush do about the gas prices. tell the oil companys to increase production?? i thought i heard that he signed a bill saying that we dont need to use reforumlated gas anymore. not sure if its true. but unless we open up our own oil fields there is nothing we can do besides pay for it.

u_say_go
08-15-2005, 06:43 PM
you dont think he personally profits from the surge in oil prices? do a little research on Bush and the oil industry and let me know what you find out.

Silver03SRT
08-16-2005, 07:33 PM
does he set the price for the barrel of oil??? so your telling me you own a company and you pay for a product. and you turn around and sell the product for a profit. lets say your supplier raises the prices. doesnt it make sense for you to raise your prices. kindda stupid i konw but lets be real, bush doesnt control the prices. he might make money off the oil. just imagine how much worse it would have been if kerry got in office

u_say_go
08-16-2005, 07:50 PM
The Bush family has a vested interest in oil. That is a proven, admitted, and documented FACT. The more money the oil production industry generates, the more money G.W. makes. It's not rocket science. My original question was "what has president bush done to control the rising price of oil?" He has done nothing, and will continue to do nothing. I have no idea what Kerry would have done, but seeing as how he isnt affiliated with the oil industry in any way, I can only guess that he would try to help us out. Dont know if would do any good though. Ketchup would prolly rise to $5/bottle, I dunno.
What sucks is this affects EVERYTHINGGGGGG! Higher gas/diesel costs mean higher prices on everything. I wish I could figure out a way to bottle my farts and make my truck run on that. My tank would always be full, runnin' 200mph.

Nix
08-16-2005, 07:58 PM
My vehicles would always be full too if I could bottle my own natural methane gas that come out my AS$! Its not a bad idea, time to think of a way to do it.

GTSLOW
08-16-2005, 10:23 PM
So what is the story on these gas prices? What does the news have to say about it (investigations, stories, etc.)?? There's got to be some explanation besides "bush sucks" or "bush loves oil"? I mean the country seems to be getting f*cked and no ones doing shiat??????? :fire

How high are people going to let it get before somthing happens (protest, riot, boycot)?

u_say_go
08-16-2005, 10:35 PM
How high are people going to let it get before somthing happens (protest, riot, boycot)?

that's what sucks, what CAN we do? bend over and take it, I guess.
I'm down for a riot though. :headbang

Nix
08-16-2005, 10:56 PM
Seems to me that they continue to use the same lame ass excuses. Oh well a few of the refineries had a melt down or were over worked and had to have some work done to them or how about we are full of dung and make up BS excuses for everything. While we sit back and get our lazy fat asses carted around in our limos you tax paying citizens pay for our fuel along with paying for your own and continue to work your butts off and pay damn near 3 dollars a gallon for the fuel. Iam so frickin lucky I sold my Ram when I did. When I sold it I was already paying about 60 bucks to fill it then. Now I would have to get a second job to keep gas in its tank which in my eyes is extremley sad.

ScottyB14
08-17-2005, 02:29 AM
I bought gas yesterday at a mobil off of 43 and i paid 2.99 for premium. its crazy. What we should be doing is drillin up in alaska in this little tiny area that wouldnt affect much wildlife, and start drilling their. Their is enough their to last us in an area no bigger than 2-3 football fields, heard would last us for the next 200-250 years. but no instead we get the shaft on high gas prices while the oil sits. just my 2 cents tho.

Poncho
08-17-2005, 02:56 AM
I saw Premium 2.89/gal at all the "expensive" places Friday night. Saturday I spotted a BP/Amoco in West Bend with Premium for 2.71/gal and almost filled up but I already had 3/4 tank. Sunday I checked again.. it went down to 2.68!! :stare :confused

I'm gonna check it today to see what it is..

PS: I agree with the post above; Bush hasn't done shlt unless you count granting a tax credit to people who buy hybrid vehicles? :lame:

Schaefers in Slinger was recently at 2.91.

9 more cents and my car goes NA. :fire At least I can save a few bucks.

Back when it was around $2.00 I could fill the car for a little over $30.

now I'm approaching $50. Damn, can't even afford to mod the car anymore.

SMS 1
08-17-2005, 07:48 AM
Couple simple points to add here . . .

Heinz has actually been bought by DelMonte now (I think thats it) I just know that it has been sold so my ban of them is now over :goof Besides that Kerry would have simply told us "Well look at France. Gas is over $5/gal there, we still have it good".

We should have been doing MASSIVE drilling up in Anwar for years now but that still won't fix our refinery problems.

NEWS?: Mostly I have been hearing the same old sh1t, Hurricane here . . . Refinery fire there . . . A quicky mart employee stubbed thier toe . . . same sh1t different day. Although every one of these things has happened every year for as long as I can remember. Hell some years were WAY worse than this year has been but this is the most rapid increase in one season I can ever recall.

The real crooks in this scenario are the damn futures traders. Without them the fuel markets would be strictly supply/demand but with the futures markets always betting the prices up the companies can adjust output ect. to maximize margins all the time and drive the market through the backdoor (er I think that is what I meant :confused )

My new prediction is $4/gal+ within one year.

Mssplayboybunie
08-17-2005, 10:13 AM
I remember 2 years ago seeing how gas was 1.75 thats just when it started to go up back then I would not have imagined in a 2 year span it going up 1$ kinda makes me wonder what it will be 2-3 years down the road :stare scarey thought seeing how everything else is going up in price as well. They said we wont see any big releif within the next decade or so.

Silver03SRT
08-18-2005, 03:43 PM
I remember when i was younger gas was 98cents/gallon. I am sure most of you do too. Bush wanted to drill in alaska but the democrats turned the idea down saying it would effect wildlife to much.

GTSLOW
08-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Couple simple points to add here . . .

Heinz has actually been bought by DelMonte now (I think thats it) I just know that it has been sold so my ban of them is now over :goof Besides that Kerry would have simply told us "Well look at France. Gas is over $5/gal there, we still have it good".

We should have been doing MASSIVE drilling up in Anwar for years now but that still won't fix our refinery problems.

NEWS?: Mostly I have been hearing the same old sh1t, Hurricane here . . . Refinery fire there . . . A quicky mart employee stubbed thier toe . . . same sh1t different day. Although every one of these things has happened every year for as long as I can remember. Hell some years were WAY worse than this year has been but this is the most rapid increase in one season I can ever recall.

The real crooks in this scenario are the damn futures traders. Without them the fuel markets would be strictly supply/demand but with the futures markets always betting the prices up the companies can adjust output ect. to maximize margins all the time and drive the market through the backdoor (er I think that is what I meant :confused )

My new prediction is $4/gal+ within one year.

Ya but when prices go down they never go back to what they orignally were. Over the years the price just keeps going higher and higher. Hell 2008 we'll probably be complaining about 8 dollars a gallon. Its fawking rediculous!

350-Z28
08-18-2005, 06:14 PM
My dad saw on the news that oil company profits have gone up 32-52% above their normal profits since just last year, so we're being raped for the sake of some towel head buying a new benz. Also just heard this today that some modified hybrid engines running a different type of fuel have gotten 100+ mpg, one report said someone got 250 mpg on that set up. For all you Diesel guys I would soon recommend that you start buying a soy product fuel, my dads friend runs it, gets better fuel economy, reduced emissions, only downside is the price, $2.94 a gallon, which will soon be cheap at this rate. What should really honestly happen is have someone start finding an alternative fuel, one that performs just as good as gasoline, minus the fossil fuel factor.

Heat Seeker WS6
08-18-2005, 08:10 PM
I remember when gas was 99 cents/gal at the end of the 1st Gulf War and it seemed like all hell was going to break loose if it was going to break the $1.00/gal mark and stay "up" there.

GTSLOW
08-18-2005, 10:33 PM
some towel head buying a new benz. .

More like 100000 new benz's!! We couldnt even begin to imagine the digits these fawks are rakeing in on us!!!

tsibred
08-18-2005, 11:01 PM
More like 100000 new benz's!! We couldnt even begin to imagine the digits these fawks are rakeing in on us!!!

Actually the oil companies generating the massive profits aren't necessarily arab owned. Its an easy scape goat for officials since what the odds the common citizen will ever meet an arab affiliate and question them. Exxon-Mobil showed I believe a 50% jump in profits the first quarter of this year. And to think it was a blurb the size of a silver dollar on like page 8 was ridiculous. Imagine you controlled all the water in the states, why not jack it up a few bucks? the people will just complain, but they will still buy it.

Everyone should just buy a VW deisel and modify it to run off of biodeisel (used vegetable oil from restaraunts). Its a hippy thing to do, but I doubt garbage vegetable oil is 3 bucks a gallon!

GTSLOW
08-19-2005, 07:31 AM
Actually the oil companies generating the massive profits aren't necessarily arab owned. Its an easy scape goat for officials since what the odds the common citizen will ever meet an arab affiliate and question them. Exxon-Mobil showed I believe a 50% jump in profits the first quarter of this year. And to think it was a blurb the size of a silver dollar on like page 8 was ridiculous. Imagine you controlled all the water in the states, why not jack it up a few bucks? the people will just complain, but they will still buy it.

Everyone should just buy a VW deisel and modify it to run off of biodeisel (used vegetable oil from restaraunts). Its a hippy thing to do, but I doubt garbage vegetable oil is 3 bucks a gallon!

Ya I agree I didnt mean to sound like it was all arab owned. I'm sure theres plenty of other rich bastards in the US jacking us on gas prices too!

SMS 1
08-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Its a hippy thing to do, but I doubt garbage vegetable oil is 3 bucks a gallon!

It would be if a market suddenly appeared for it. Biodiesel is actually more expensive than regular petro base if you have to pay for the veg-oil. A buddy of mine is converting his house heat to bio. It's great for now while he has free sources but was telling me that it ends up being something like $7-$9/gal if you have to buy the oil outright.

Now if you could grow and make your own . . .

Well then I gues the price of lye would just go up :rolleyes:

tsibred
08-20-2005, 07:44 PM
good news, I've figured out how to get around it but it only works for one person. You buy the delorean (spelling?) from Back to the Future. I mean they filled it with trashed and it ran in the movie right? So if it didn't work I mean what were they filming? Right...Right??

350-Z28
08-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Wow, simply wow...Although if you could invent your own fuel and market it you would become rich, or if you got the delorean idea to work you could steal some homeless dudes box (house) and use it for a week :thumbsup

Yooformula
08-21-2005, 12:48 AM
Ya I agree I didnt mean to sound like it was all arab owned. I'm sure theres plenty of other rich bastards in the US jacking us on gas prices too!

BP is the largest oil company in the world and according to a Discovery news program I saw last week, BP currently has the largest oil reserves in the world. They are also making more money than their own analysts predicted they would and that was last year. They open more oil drilling compounds every year at an alarming rate. Alaska has been deemed dont touch to not only keep us out of it but foreign countries that may have stakes in it and may find ways to drill there.

Personally, we dont really think the US will still be in power and in its current existance within the next 400 years do we? I say use the friggin oil, which one of us will be around to see it all expire anyway? Rome and every other civilization ended as will this one, besides a comet will wipe it all out anyways. Let me enjoy it now! When and IF it runs out, find something else! :devil

350-Z28
08-21-2005, 09:37 AM
:wstupid I agree. Just saw a news program last night that people in minnesota bought gas in bulk and some guy pays $0.98 a gallon, and the highest price for whatever program they had was $1.59 a gallon....Now why the hell can't Wisconsin do that? So i say, drop all the gas prices, and let everybody with V8s gettin worse than 15 mpg have their fun.

murdoc158
08-29-2005, 05:12 PM
The problem we in wisconsin have is the $0.30/gallon tax we pay. WI has the second highest gas tax in the nation. There are talks right now about lowering the state gas tax by $0.15/gallon or more. It's not much, but it would help some people. Now with the hurricane Katrina hitting the US, crude oil prices are up again. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050829/ap_on_bi_ge/katrina_oil
It does say in that article however, that the price per barrel would have to top $90 (adjusted for inflation) to match the highest gas prices some of us saw in the 80's. Now before some of you start bitchin about the inflation line, just remember it's something that you can't deny. Gas prices are higher, but so are the prices of homes, cars, food, everything. Hell back in 1976 my dad bought a new Trans Am 454 for something like $6000. If that was today, how much does a new GTO price out at. Point made. There is nothing we can do about inflation. Just realize that we, as a nation, are paying more for material things, but we are also making more at our jobs than 30 some years ago. We do still have the lowest fuel costs in the world. Those poor Brits are paying $7.99/litre. The damned French are up to $5.00/gallon. The Middle East is paying just a bit more than WE are.

As an added side note, how much would gas have to reach per gallon to make you stop driving?
Taken from czabe.com (http://czabe.com)
Last add on stupid “gas is expensive” stories in the media. This local TV story actually went around asking people in their cars “how much would gas have to cost before you considered taking the bus.” Seriously. They ASKED this question to people. Well here’s your answer: $386.50 a gallon. The f’ing BUS? I can guarantee you that everybody riding the BUS would KILL for the chance to spend $2.95 on a gallon of gas because it would mean that THEY HAVE A CAR, AND DON’T HAVE TO SIT AROUND WITH LOSERS ON THE BUS ANYMORE!

Kind of puts this whole gas price thing into perspective doesn't it.

SLOWC5
08-29-2005, 05:35 PM
I would say the inflation on wages is not anywhere near the rate of the inflation on the rest of the things in this world. i may be wrong, but housing is up around 10-30% a year, have your wages reacted the same?

Gas prices dont bother me, its something I just deal with. Need to get somewhere its got to cost something

JEFF

Al
08-30-2005, 12:53 AM
good news, I've figured out how to get around it but it only works for one person. You buy the delorean (spelling?) from Back to the Future. I mean they filled it with trashed and it ran in the movie right? So if it didn't work I mean what were they filming? Right...Right??

How about a car where I can open up the gas cap and piss down the tube and get 1000 mile every time I go. Oh $hit, I might forget to put the cap back on.

How much for a gallon of vegetable oil and how easily can I convert gas clippings into something combustable and liquid?

slow85vette
08-30-2005, 10:46 PM
In Jackson, gas in $2.73 for regular (but we're going up in the mourning) and West Bend is $2.89. In another town near me gas is $2.99 for regular. And in Chicago, gas ia already $3.72 so yes gas will be $3 near us soon.

Am

DirtyMax
08-31-2005, 08:18 AM
I would say the inflation on wages is not anywhere near the rate of the inflation on the rest of the things in this world. i may be wrong, but housing is up around 10-30% a year, have your wages reacted the same?

My thoughts exactly! :thumbsup

Cleveland Dave
08-31-2005, 08:21 AM

come on now...you have seen BTTF III the mr.fusion ran off that **** but the internal combustion engine ran on gasoline...that was the whole reason they needed the train to push it up to 88 mph!!

wikked
08-31-2005, 10:50 AM
In Jackson, gas in $2.73 for regular (but we're going up in the mourning) and West Bend is $2.89. In another town near me gas is $2.99 for regular. And in Chicago, gas ia already $3.72 so yes gas will be $3 near us soon.

Am

Highest reported prices on chicagogasprices.com is $3.69
BUT
It's still $2.67 in many many places.

Same with milwaukeegasprices.com still $2.69 in alot of places at 4pm yesterday.

Remember they cannot raise the price more than once in 24hrs. So hopefully some of these places raised from $2.62 to $2.69 sometime in the afternoon yesterday, and can't raise it til the afternoon today, better hurry :goof

jbiscuit
08-31-2005, 10:53 AM
noon is the raise time set by a lot of places yesterday....so if you need gas, go before noon! :thumbsup

97PontiacW68
08-31-2005, 02:47 PM
paid 2.99 today for 87 octane at the shell station in oak creek on ryan rd across from the the PILOT .. as soon as we left they raised prices to 3.39 :wooo :fire

animal
08-31-2005, 02:54 PM
come on now...you have seen BTTF III the mr.fusion ran off that **** but the internal combustion engine ran on gasoline...that was the whole reason they needed the train to push it up to 88 mph!!

yeah:

Doc: You mean we're out of gas?

Marty: Yeah, no big deal, we got Mr Fusion, right?

Doc: Mr Fusion powers the time circuits and the flux capacitor. But the internal combustion engine runs on ordinary gasoline, it always has. There's not going to be a gas station around here until sometime in the next century. Without gasoline, we can't get the DeLorean up to 88 miles per hour.

murdoc158
08-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Saw a few stations at $3.39 for regular, and filled up for $3.49 with premium today. Good thing I used the company gas card. :thumbsup

Al
09-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Prices are going down. Just saw 3.09 in cedarburg.

wikked
09-06-2005, 01:34 PM
for the 309th time:

milwaukeegasprices.com (http://www.milwaukeegasprices.com) :goof

SmokeyMoped
09-06-2005, 07:51 PM
3.30 here for 87 oct.

Teufelhunden
09-12-2005, 10:04 PM
for the 309th time:

milwaukeegasprices.com (http://www.milwaukeegasprices.com) :goofWhat?:goof

Ever try konfabulator (http://www.konfabulator.com)? I use the Gas Prices widget to download all my area's prices without having to visit the website. :headbang

ScottyB14
09-13-2005, 12:13 AM
i heard on the radio this past sunday early in morning on my way to work that gas is expected to be below $2.00/gal for reg. by november. Just what i heard.

DirtyMax
09-13-2005, 03:06 PM
i heard on the radio this past sunday early in morning on my way to work that gas is expected to be below $2.00/gal for reg. by november. Just what i heard.

You're probably right. It's that "winter blend" crap. Supposed to be cheaper but reduce your mileage. Seems like a gimmick to me. Your fuel economy naturally drops in winter. :confused