PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: View DivX-encoded videos

Syclone0044
08-08-2005, 07:55 PM
"DivX-encoded" videos require a decoder ("codec") piece of software installed on your computer to view them. Otherwise you get the "Cannot find a suitable decoder" and just hear the sound when you try to view it.

There is a lot of BULLSH1T DivX decoders out there that try to capitalize by selling you some commercialized, spyware-ridden advertising vehicle masquerading as a DivX decoder (whew)... but fortunately there is at least one REAL decoder that's open-source and free (i.e. NOT FOR PROFIT.....) and you can download it right here: http://www.koepi.org/XviD-1.1.0-Beta2-04042005.exe

Just install and run that file and away you go. Now you can view the videos. WHEN YOU SAVE THEM... make sure the file extension ends in .WMV or .AVI.. if it ends in .DIVX, OVERRIDE it and type .WMV at the end of the filename.

If you don't like that decoder just search for any "XviD decoders" because XviD is the free, good brand. It actually made those large movies like the LILEVO race, play much smoother on my older 464MHz computer.

Whatever you do, for God's sake, don't get the one at www. divx. com (I broke the link intentionally).

Yooformula
08-09-2005, 01:10 AM
Nice find Josh :thumbsup

GTSLOW
08-09-2005, 05:23 AM
"DivX-encoded" videos require a decoder ("codec") piece of software installed on your computer to view them. Otherwise you get the "Cannot find a suitable decoder" and just hear the sound when you try to view it.

There is a lot of BULLSH1T DivX decoders out there that try to capitalize by selling you some commercialized, spyware-ridden advertising vehicle masquerading as a DivX decoder (whew)... but fortunately there is at least one REAL decoder that's open-source and free (i.e. NOT FOR PROFIT.....) and you can download it right here: http://www.koepi.org/XviD-1.1.0-Beta2-04042005.exe

Just install and run that file and away you go. Now you can view the videos. WHEN YOU SAVE THEM... make sure the file extension ends in .WMV or .AVI.. if it ends in .DIVX, OVERRIDE it and type .WMV at the end of the filename.

If you don't like that decoder just search for any "XviD decoders" because XviD is the free, good brand. It actually made those large movies like the LILEVO race, play much smoother on my older 464MHz computer.

Whatever you do, for God's sake, don't get the one at www. divx. com (I broke the link intentionally).

Thanks bud! I thought I was pretty much screwed on those types of vids.

So you gonna be @ RA this oct?

Rocket Power
08-09-2005, 12:56 PM
why not use the one form divx?

Syclone0044
08-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Take a look at their website once.. see if you can decipher this http://www.divx.com/legal/terms.php?src=footer_contact_from_/divx/codec.php They took something simple, a software codec that was made free, and tried to capitalize on it by commercializing it and selling all this other shlt to go with it. You can't even download the codec anymore, you have to download their "Player software Bundle". If all you want to do is view a movie, why not just download the free not-for-profit codec that works better (on my system) and be done with it? I have a strong bias against corporate BS and the DivX site is chock FULL of it.

Additionally, the DivX site used to include GAIN/Gator spyware with their DivX 5 player downloads, they removed it after a bunch of backlash. Still, the site's purpose is a vehicle to make money. I won't support their lame attempt to "trick" users (looking to view videos) into making THEM money..

It's a lot like a Mozilla FireFox vs. Internet Explorer kind of thing...

PS: Check this post for reference http://forums.divx.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/201101651/m/593109352 Since version 5.2 it doesn't have spyware but still displays banners in the user interface and may check with their servers for newer versions. Their bundles also contain third-party products you can "opt out" of. :rolleyes:

Rocket Power
08-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Guess I should pay more attention. :thumbsup

Thanks, I will dump it.