PDA

View Full Version : Banning of Modified cars in CA

Heat Seeker WS6
08-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Found this on MFBA.ORG.....

California Crackdown on Modified Cars
$5 million in federal money will fund a Sacramento, California effort to stop drivers in modified cars.

Police in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout the state and generated significant revenue for the California Highway Patrol and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the Calfiornia Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.

Article Excerpt:
"We're looking to make a heavy impact on speeding and street racing in this area," Sacramento Police Deputy Chief Steve Segura said during a press conference with local and state officials on Del Paso Road in North Natomas.
Source: Area law enforcers to receive training to combat street racing (Sacramento Bee, 8/4/2005)

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp
http://www.chp.ca.gov/cops/html/apihome.html

Cleveland Dave
08-08-2005, 02:30 PM
holy crap

Crawlin
08-08-2005, 03:42 PM
will NEVER go through. been tried TOO many times and SEMA has a field day with them

tsibred
08-08-2005, 04:00 PM
This also isn't really a banning, its just an increase in police awareness of modified cars. I.E. they are looking for things that are already illegal and have been for some time, excessive lowering, no cats, non-carb exempt equipment. The same thing happens with Highway 100 every now and then, lots of publicity about cracking down on cruisers even though its been illegal for years, they are simply increasing funding to bust people. The only thing this will increase is the overall number of harassment claims against the california police.

Pantera99GS
08-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Couldn't the money be put towards something equally stupid like the "war on drugs"? :lame:

UnderPSI
08-08-2005, 05:40 PM
I think it is a good idea, I would have nothing to worry about with my car. :goof

GTSLOW
08-08-2005, 05:45 PM
They're going to give someone a ticket for having a spoiler and racing stickers. :rolf I'm sure that would hold up in court. :sgay

I'd really like to find these cops and sh*t on their cars. Then they can write tickets to themselves since they had been modified.

xsbc63x
08-08-2005, 06:06 PM
what a fuchin joke i thought we were supposed to be free in this country

Lash
08-08-2005, 06:11 PM
will NEVER go through. been tried TOO many times and SEMA has a field day with them

ditto.

Al
08-09-2005, 12:27 AM
I don't think it will be what it is said to be. Like mentioned above, I think the real goal is to snuff out those who have omitted their cats and have tire clearance greater than ground clearance.

For those who do not know, you are required to have your rims exceed below the bottom of the chassis. The reasoning is simple: if you have a blowout, you should be able to ride on your rim. Therefore, do not lower your car first, do it second after you buy your rims.

V3rtigo
08-09-2005, 11:54 AM
i personally think that if your car passes emissions, doesn't wake up the neighbors when you come home and dose not pose an extreme saftey hazard you should be allowed to do what ever you want. I'd also like to point out that speed should not be considered into the saftey factor because they allow cars like ferraris and lambos on the street.

Next I'd like to bring up the fact that the "baby boomers" or the older majority will be moving into their buick/cadillac/something else big and slow point of their life and wont give 2 s***s :flipoff2: bout whether the laws on modifying actually start getting enforced.

GRM-REPR
08-09-2005, 12:14 PM

Unfortunately your wrong on this subject. On www.corral.net, a member from California posted a newspaper article from L.A/San Diego, that states a stupid law passed saying if you get caught street racing an illegaly modified car, it gets taken from you. They either crush it into a nice little metalic cube or they auction it off and keep the proceeds. The driver gets a hefty ticket as well.

They are doing it not because the cars are moded with loud exhaust and wings etc. The article mentioned how many people (young) have died in illeagal street racing.

Personally I think they have nothing better to do and they (the gov) see's this as an easy way to boost revenue.

Would anyone agree?

Crawlin
08-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Unfortunately your wrong on this subject. On www.corral.net, a member from California posted a newspaper article from L.A/San Diego, that states a stupid law passed saying if you get caught street racing an illegaly modified car, it gets taken from you. They either crush it into a nice little metalic cube or they auction it off and keep the proceeds. The driver gets a hefty ticket as well.

They are doing it not because the cars are moded with loud exhaust and wings etc. The article mentioned how many people (young) have died in illeagal street racing.

Personally I think they have nothing better to do and they (the gov) see's this as an easy way to boost revenue.

Would anyone agree?

True, same thing goes for in the city of Chicago. BUT, that's stupidity. That's STREET RACING which IS illegal and poses a threat to OTHERS.

This is different and HAS been knocked down by SEMA many times in other states(MN, PA, and the nitrous ban completely in TN if memory serves me right). This is about MODIFYING a car, which poses no threat to anyone else. It sucks to have a car taken from you, but at the same time, that's the risk they are taking for endangering others(even if it is in a secluded closed down industrial park)

Chris

fireguyrick
08-09-2005, 12:30 PM

Would anyone agree?

So how does this work then if the car has a lien on it, or the car is not yours? I have been wondering that for sometime now.

Rick

Syclone0044
08-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Doesn't that sound like Cruel & Unusual punishment? What purpose does it serve and what benefit results? Since when is destroying personal property an appropriate way to solve a problem? I wonder who is running the show in this country. I also wonder if anyone has *actually* got their car crushed either... :rolleyes:

By the way, HITMAN, you can chime in on this thread any time :thumbsup

Yooformula
08-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Some of the older LS1'ers might remember the guy from NY that had his car taken that still had a lein on it. Took him some time but he fought and got it back, then moved to Florida. I thought his name was Rick but I dont remember his username.

Al
08-09-2005, 02:23 PM
I also wonder if anyone has *actually* got their car crushed either... :rolleyes:

I saw a link to a clip a few years ago on chitown where they crushed an Iroc.

When I saw it, I became very pissed and thought that if it was my car they were crushing, I'd go and steal the car of that fat lady who runs the program and light it on fire.

GRM-REPR
08-10-2005, 12:33 AM
So how does this work then if the car has a lien on it, or the car is not yours? I have been wondering that for sometime now.

Rick

Good question but the article didnt specify any of that info, I'm wondering the same thing ever since reading it.

Poncho
08-11-2005, 12:10 PM
but I'm sure this definately won't apply to all the rich hollywood types w/ modded cars.

People like Jay Leno are either ****ed, or above the law.

TurboAWD2.0
08-11-2005, 10:47 PM
:wooo

Screw this. I'm moving to Canada (where I hope the government can't sieze your car.)

GTSLOW
08-12-2005, 06:47 AM
:wooo

Screw this. I'm moving to Canada (where I hope the government can't sieze your car.)

:rolf Weathers a little jacked up over there tho.