PDA

View Full Version : my motor is finally done(er back)

PB86MCSS
07-31-2005, 10:41 PM
Got the good news at the end of last week that my 383 is finally fixed and ready to be put back in my SS, going to swap it back in this coming Sunday. Long story short the crank bolt snapped, and trying to drill it out/re-tap it was unsuccessful :(. Yanked the motor and gave it to the engine builder back in early May or late April :fire and now its back. Sucks not having your car for most of summer but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I almost forgot I had the car :shades .

Rocket Power
08-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Good to hear you'll be back in action :thumbsup

SSScottSS
08-02-2005, 12:22 AM
I was thinking all along that you probably had that back in already. If I remember correctly you like to put your cars away in late Oct., so that leaves 12 weeks left for you to get to the Grove .... plenty of time :)

Hopefully it cools off a bit for the install. Getting awful hot and muggy to be working on cars, but I'd be happy to deal with it if I was in your shoes.

PB86MCSS
08-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Yea it should cool down this weekend it appears, but I'd take it either way :). I better make time to get down to the Grove at least once with it...if not someone slap me.

PB86MCSS
08-08-2005, 08:33 PM
As the stroker balances...more to the saga. We got the motor in without any problems, pretty smooth but the thing vibrates now at idle and upon acceleration when driving :mad:. Going to have the engine builder take a look at it and see what he thinks. Has the correct 350 balancer for the crank, hopefully its because we took the weights off the flexplate :wow ...within 1-2 weeks the thing should be done, finally...unless another problem occurs :mad:.

Rocket Power
08-09-2005, 12:46 PM
That sucks, hopefully everything gets sorted out and you get to drive it for a while before it's time to put it away again.

MY FYN 79
08-10-2005, 09:35 PM
It was fun putting the motor back in though... :alcoholic

We'll get it fixed up and cruising in no time. :thumbsup

PB86MCSS
08-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Indeed....

Thanks to MYFYN for once again hooking me up with a fancy shop to work at and helping me greatly with the swap :thumbsup . Without those connections I'm afraid I would be stuck with my L69 yet :eek: .

SSScottSS
08-26-2005, 01:25 PM
How's the 383 coming along Paul? Figure out the balancing problem?

PB86MCSS
08-27-2005, 01:16 AM
Yea I should of updated you guys...not much progress. We got the 383 in and it runs *ok* but there is a vibration now. With the 400 balancer there wasn't a balancing issue as thats how they balanced the motor...but it was incorrect and caused bolts to break :rolleyes: . With the 350 balancer and everything else the same, there is now a vibration....otherwise it runs fine, heh....JLP tried adding the weight back on the flexplate but it didn't really help.....now we are going to get a nice balancer to try out, if that doesn't work the motor is getting yanked again and re-done/balanced. I seriously doubt the balancer will work and believe the motor needs to be re-balanced but I am very hopeful the balancer will work....hopefully we get that figured out soon. All in all this year has sucked for that car :fire :( .

Rocket Power
08-27-2005, 01:26 AM
That does suck I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully it'll get sorted out before it's time to put it away for winter.

PB86MCSS
09-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Some good news, Jeremy received the nice new balancer: http://www.pro-race.com/oe-style_dampers.htm courtesy of the engine builder and it apparently stopped the vibration :D. So next Sunday I plan to pick the car up, after we swap on the proper flexplate(one used had the weight welded on as a temporary fix) and also throw on a new tranny mount since mine is toasted. So I should finally have my SS to roam around in here and there :headbang .

Rocket Power
09-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Those are nice pieces !
I am glad to hear things are going well :thumbsup

SSScottSS
09-04-2005, 03:36 AM
Good news Paul. You are an extremely patient person.

GTSLOW
09-04-2005, 06:50 AM
Some good news, Jeremy received the nice new balancer: http://www.pro-race.com/oe-style_dampers.htm courtesy of the engine builder and it apparently stopped the vibration :D. So next Sunday I plan to pick the car up, after we swap on the proper flexplate(one used had the weight welded on as a temporary fix) and also throw on a new tranny mount since mine is toasted. So I should finally have my SS to roam around in here and there :headbang .

GREAT News :thumbsup!!!

So whats the est output on this 383 anyways?

PB86MCSS
09-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Thats a good question....I was planning to have it dynoed this year along with making it to GLD, but now that time is running out I doubt I'll do both...hopefully at least make a GLD run once. Then again since the tranny is stock and higher miles, I'm not sure making a ton of 1/4 mile runs with the 383 is the smartest thing ;).

hp should be in the 380 range, torque over 400 ft lbs....thats a solid assumption but not for sure. I'd hope in the 1/4 the car can do a solid to high 13 second run, depending on my driving abilities and launch. I'd hope for a mid 13 as is and my 3.42's.

PB86MCSS
09-11-2005, 07:34 PM
.....Finally.....

My SS is home :D. Big thanks to MYFYN79 for all his help and time to get the motor out/in and all that fun jazz. Car runs well again and has a shiney fancy balancer to boot at no charge courtesy of the engine builder. Time to wash all the poop off and cruise around :banana .

Prince Valiant
09-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Let us know when you'll have it at oscars for a little inspectin' :thumbsup

MY FYN 79
09-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Glad she's a runner!

Also glad we have all our garage stalls back! :thumbsup
Now get that thing ready for a late season track outing. :headbang

Rocket Power
09-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Good to hear ! :thumbsup
And get that poop off the car. LOL

PB86MCSS
09-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Thinking about leaving the poop on it, new fashion statement...the more poop spots the better :alcoholic .

Hopefully there is enough time left to get it all cleaned/detailed again and a few minor items done and a track run. At least I got the car weighed today while I was at it...3,450 approximately with a half-tank. Perhaps Oscars sometime or the like ;). We shall see.

Rocket Power
09-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Thinking about leaving the poop on it, new fashion statement...the more poop spots the better :alcoholic .

In that case I am finally in fashion. :rolf