PDA

View Full Version : Place to find cheap motors?

rally_scort
07-29-2005, 09:24 AM
My buddys girlfriend has a 02 Chevy Cavalier z24 with a 5spd. Long story short she wanted to impress a rich kid in a vw golf so they raced from the onramp to the highway and she was pulling till she misshifted from 3rd back to 2nd instead of 4th. She limped off the highway onto some road and we looked at the damage. Without pulling the head we noticed she needs a new exhaust cam, most of the lifters are cracked, and a new valvecover. Not sure about the bottom end yet. I figured it would be easier to find a complete 2.4L from a wrecked car but i cant find any for a reasonable price with comparable milage. Her car has about 40k.Does nebody know anywhere to find cheap motors or anywhere i can get some cheap parts to fix the pile of ****.

BAD LS1
07-29-2005, 09:46 AM
My buddys girlfriend has a 02 Chevy Cavalier z24 with a 5spd. Long story short she wanted to impress a rich kid in a vw golf so they raced from the onramp to the highway and she was pulling till she misshifted from 3rd back to 2nd instead of 4th. She limped off the highway onto some road and we looked at the damage. Without pulling the head we noticed she needs a new exhaust cam, most of the lifters are cracked, and a new valvecover. Not sure about the bottom end yet. I figured it would be easier to find a complete 2.4L from a wrecked car but i cant find any for a reasonable price with comparable milage. Her car has about 40k.Does nebody know anywhere to find cheap motors or anywhere i can get some cheap parts to fix the pile of ****.

Try calling Smartparts in hustisford WI... I know someone that bent 8 of the 16 valves on the same quad 4 once in a 98 cav 4dr auto LOL. They gotta complete Quad 4 2.4L out of a malibu with comprable mileage for 650 with all sensors and wiring harness etc... for that car.

LKQ Smart Parts, LP
Hustisford WI
(920) 349-3236

rally_scort
07-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the help.i totally forgot bout smartparts.ive dealt with them before.good guys.

wikked
07-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Long story short she wanted to impress a rich kid in a vw golf .

! Does not compute ! :crazyeyes :crazyeyes :crazyeyes

A B4C Z
08-01-2005, 05:55 PM
These motors are expensive. There all around 700 bucks.

Rocket Power
08-01-2005, 06:41 PM
Which is why I don't have my 97 Achieva anymore. I only paid $1600 for it, couldn't see putting another $700 into it, Plus the PITA of putting in the motor from the bottom. I've done it before (89 Calais Quad4) and not really anxious to do it again. :goof

Memphis
08-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Which is why I don't have my 97 Achieva anymore. I only paid $1600 for it, couldn't see putting another $700 into it, Plus the PITA of putting in the motor from the bottom. I've done it before (89 Calais Quad4) and not really anxious to do it again. :goof

You do know they can be put in from above right? :goof

Rocket Power
08-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Shhhh don't let the secret out. :goof
Yeah I had heard that ;)
It had a few other issues too, that I was willing to deal with because it ran good,then it stopped doing that. :goof

But still the thought of putting another $600-700 into it plus time... well I decided to buy the 82 :rolf

220mph
08-03-2005, 03:49 PM

what he said. tell her the best thing to do is sell it before she puts any money into it or buy a whole complete motor. i just sold my gf's z24 that was having engine probs. these engines are a bastard to work on and they are REALLY expensive. nothing is cheap. i put in a new oil pump and that alone was around 110 dollars. timing chain=200 dollars. new oem clutch 600 dollars. bottom line, put the replacement engine in. your better off buying one whole and used. then sell that p.o.s. no offense, but they suck.

cookie monster
08-08-2005, 03:08 PM
place in chicago, called motor works or something like that, they should have a few running cores.