PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean when??

0TransAm0
07-25-2005, 07:44 PM
ok i was looking under my car and i noticed that were the drive shaft goes into the "pumpkin" thier is what looks to be oil and dirt and also were the axle's on both sides of it thier is the oil and dirt i know somethings leaking but what needs to be replaced?? and is this a good time to swap gears or do you not need to open the "pumpkin" to fix what ever it is that needs fixen????
any help advice is much appretiated..thx.Mike

black84z28-4spd
07-25-2005, 07:54 PM
it needs to be taken all the way apart to fix that seal..yes...perfect time to do gears because they do exactly that when they replace gears...so get some gears

0TransAm0
07-25-2005, 08:29 PM
cool deal ive been wanting an excuse to get in thier and have them done...whats recomended as far as a "gear kit" i know im not doing the work myself thats for sure. any idea of what something like this will cost.

black84z28-4spd
07-25-2005, 08:39 PM
it will cost under 600 for the whole shibang!

0TransAm0
07-25-2005, 09:19 PM
sounds good thx for the help..one more question tho... will going from the stock 3.23's to 3.73's make that big of a differance in low end power?? my car is a daily driver and i dont really wanna blow up the stock 10 bolt and dont have the money for a 12.

black84z28-4spd
07-25-2005, 10:35 PM
yea...it will make some difference...you will cruise at about 2500rpms in overdrive if you have an auto...if you have a 6 even lower...mine is stock with 3.73s and i would have it no other way!

A B4C Z
07-25-2005, 11:03 PM
it needs to be taken all the way apart to fix that seal..yes...perfect time to do gears because they do exactly that when they replace gears...so get some gears

WOW WOW put the crack pipe down. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE WHOLE REAR END APART. Drop the driveshaft and take that nut off the yoke. Tap the yoke with a brass drift and hammer and then replace the seal. Make sure you mark the nut and drive shaft. when you put it on go just a fingernail past your mark on the nut/threads from the pinion.

The leaking around the axles is normal. They basically breath thru that. Otherwise you wouldnt be getting any air in there at all.
Kyle

black84z28-4spd
07-25-2005, 11:20 PM
yup...you're right...just re read something in my gm shop manual

do gears anyway! :D

Sparkyballs
08-04-2005, 06:38 AM
the leaking at the end of the axle you can probaly replace axle seals...real easy pull cover take of tire push in axle pull out c-clips replace seal put back together.. it should breathe through the vent....

396LOUDMOUTHSS
08-04-2005, 07:22 PM
sparkyballs i think your talking about the wrong seals...

BAD LS1
08-05-2005, 05:52 PM
If its leaking out from under the brakes on both sides then the axle seals are toast.

Yes the "differential cover" will have to come off to pull the retaining bolt out of the carrier, slide the block out of the torsen locker/lsd then pull your wheels, dissassemble the brakes on both sides, remove the rotors, push the axles in, get a stick magnet and pull the "C" clips off the axle inside the differential then pull the axle all the way out.

Yeah its not for amatuers.

BAD LS1
08-05-2005, 05:53 PM
If its leaking out from under the brakes on both sides then the axle seals are toast.

Yes the "differential cover" will have to come off to pull the retaining bolt out of the carrier, slide the block out of the torsen locker/lsd then pull your wheels, dissassemble the brakes on both sides, remove the rotors, push the axles in, get a stick magnet and pull the "C" clips off the axle inside the differential then pull the axle all the way out.

Yeah its not for amatuers.

I can do the repair for you if you get the parts, i dont charge near as much as a dealer.

PS: it will mess up your emergency brake pad/drum asmy under the rotor over time with it leaking gear lube on them.

0TransAm0
08-07-2005, 02:06 PM
its looks like it leaking were the axle goes into the rear diff and were the drive shaft goes in.. it not dripping yet but i can see the grease over the rust.. its been like this for awhile. and if i have to open up the rear diff i will just replace the gears also.

BAD LS1
08-07-2005, 03:05 PM
its looks like it leaking were the axle goes into the rear diff and were the drive shaft goes in.. it not dripping yet but i can see the grease over the rust.. its been like this for awhile. and if i have to open up the rear diff i will just replace the gears also.

Ifi ts leaking from where the tube is pressed into the cast iron housing then you gotta problem. Either simply remove the rear end and have someone who knows how to weld cast iron weld the tubes on for you or replace the rear end complete.