PDA

View Full Version : Good Dyno's in Area -- Making a list of them

twicks69
07-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Hey everyone,

I am interested in making a good list of any dyno in Wisconsin along with the Chicago area. I am looking for people that you have dealt with, or have heard good things about.

Information like cost (per hour, discounts if any for groups or return customers), dynometer type and brand, drive configuration (2WD, AWD, dynapack, etc), maximum torque load, Wideband O2 (brand and type--i.e. sniffer, or thread in bung), weatherstation software, types of fans used (cfm and diameter of fan). Also, important information would be the software that they are running, along with how the dyno is placed (floor mounted flush, raised--with ramps, dynapack hub mounted, etc).

Most importantly are questions that you need to ask, such as: who is doing the tuning? yourself, or the tuning shop. What software and tuning experience do they have? What types of vehicles to they usually work on (import, domestic, DSM, Rotary, turbo/supercharged applications, nitrous applications, custom installs, etc.)

I think that it would be helpful to many people to have a detailed and updated list of good dynos that we would be likely to go to, along with being able to trust the person that is touching our cars.

twicks69
07-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Extreme Performance Motorsports
Dan Rhodes - Owner
N966B Quality Drive
Greenville, WI 54942 (West side of Appleton)
(920) 757-0269

Prices:
$75 baseline for 3 runs w/ cool down
$20 for wideband O2
$135/hr for continuous tuning time w/ cooldown.
They usually do decent deals for repeat customers.

Their location is off of Wisconsin Ave. to the West of Fox River Mall (Appleton) about 4 miles. It is around 1hr 30min from the Zoo Interchange north on Hwy 41/45 to the Wisconsin Ave exit, then West to Greenville Industrial park, turn right, go 1 block, turn right onto quality drive.

They run a Windyn Superflow Autodyn SF-840 dual eddy-current 2WD chassis dyno with handheld Commander remote control, above ground with pneumatic lift and ramps (allows for low clearance vehicles). Has sniffer Wideband O2, 1000HP capacity, 10,000lb max axle capacity. Windyn Superflow software can be given to customer along with disk containing the dyno runs that they produced for review and reproduction at home.

Dan has a large amount of backround in domestic supercharged and turbocharged carburated and fuel injected vehicles. Mustangs, Maros, Vettes primarily new and old. Methanol, gasoline and diesel. He also has a helper (Kelley) there that supports his knowledge of tuning import vehicles, NA, turbo and supercharged, and nitrous.

Luke Stubbs from Beyond Redline (De Pere, WI) has also helped Dan in the past numerous times with the tuning of DSM's, 2 & 3-Rotor turbo applications, 3000Gt's (street tune only), and some of the honda/acura work. Luke has experience with DSMLink, AEM EMS, Haltech, Autronix, Hondata, Electromotive, etc.

I have dealt with Dan, Kelly, and Luke for a number of years without any problems. They are all great people, mechanics and tuners that enjoy making the most out of every vehicle--safely of course.

If you call them, tell them that you saw this post on BREW CITY MUSCLE from Tim Zimmer.

Al
07-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Anyone here ever hear of "Mr. Dyno" out in Waukeesha?

Vinceg99
07-22-2005, 11:57 PM
King Motorsports is having Dyno Days at KJ auto in Waukesha on a Mustang Dyno, not sure exact prices but you can call Clayton up at King and find out all the info. http://kingmotorsports.com/

twicks69
07-23-2005, 07:57 PM
The easier way would be to call up Hiram Willis--the guy that "runs" KJ Auto. I was going to post their information also, but ran out of time.

It is an all wheel drive Mustang eddy current continuously loading dyno with a Innovate Wideband O2 bung-style sensor, and Mustang software--the rates are pretty darn good, the dyno is good for doing long pulls so you can more accurately see a specific RPM point so you can do more fine tuning. Hiram is a great guy, and he is a hard worker with a working knowledge of most import engine management systems, as well as a good mechanical and tuning backround.

I will post more information on KJ Auto on this post on a different day when I have more time.

turbogarrett
07-24-2005, 06:46 PM
That awd dyno seems to give some super low #'s, even for a mustang dyno. A friend's 05 sti that traps 108 made 173 to the tires there :confused Any idea why Tim?

I have dyno'd my car a couple times at Michel's Performance in Hubertus and Speed inc in Schaumburg, IL. Both are 2wd dynojet with the "o2 wand" and regular style sensors.

twicks69
07-24-2005, 09:03 PM
There is a correction based on the dynometer speed (mph) that needs to be added onto the actual tested numbers.

I feel that Hiram's Mustang AWD dyno is a good dynometer for TUNING--it can give accurate timing, and air fuel numbers to aid in getting a better tune. I know for a fact that my numbers and everyone elses number are LOW on it because that is how the software is on that dyno.

I was only making ~280 HP to the wheels on his dyno on 24psi; on the same setup that I did a 123mph trap. I would have had around 465HP at the wheels to do a 123mph trap. After adding in the correction factor, it was still around 420hp.

The dyno at Extreme Motorsports--see the 2nd post for information...I made more accurate numbers to my vehicle.

I feel that if the vehicle has a long powerband, or something like a turbo diesel that has a low RPM long powerband, will have an easier time to produce good numbers on a dyno like this.

I have seen accurate HP/Tq numbers from the Windyn Superflow dyno versus tested track times and trap speeds.

Personally, I would probably go to Extreme next time--but that is primarily because my car is only 20 minutes away from their shop right now.

I will go back to Hiram's dyno again, mainly due to its convenience, since I would have to do a viscous coupler eliminator for Extreme's dyno, and that is an extra 2 hours of BS added onto the tuning day.

If you want big **** swingin numbers, don't go to KJ Auto expecting it without adding on the correction factor. Go there for a good tuning experience.

fireguyrick
07-24-2005, 09:09 PM
That awd dyno seems to give some super low #'s, even for a mustang dyno. A friend's 05 sti that traps 108 made 173 to the tires there :confused Any idea why Tim?

That is SUPER LOW for a STi, EVEN on a Mustang Dyno. The lowest I have heard for stock STi's is around 210awhp on a Mustang. Trapping 108 I would assume he has a TBE and perhaps Engine Managment. That should be good for a 40awhp gain or so, depending on the tune.

Rick

turbogarrett
07-24-2005, 10:11 PM
That is SUPER LOW for a STi, EVEN on a Mustang Dyno. The lowest I have heard for stock STi's is around 210awhp on a Mustang. Trapping 108 I would assume he has a TBE and perhaps Engine Managment. That should be good for a 40awhp gain or so, depending on the tune.

Rick

He's running a full exhaust and a cobb ecu. The 108 mph was without the computer upgrade, I wouldn't be suprised if it goes 110-112 now.

fireguyrick
07-24-2005, 10:32 PM
He's running a full exhaust and a cobb ecu. The 108 mph was without the computer upgrade, I wouldn't be suprised if it goes 110-112 now.

Impressed I am. Must be one of the GOOD drivers around here. To many of the WRX/STi drivers that drag race have NO CLUE about launching the damn car. I would be suprised if he ran 110-112 though. I know of a few WRX's and STi's that run that MPH with LOW 12s passes and 350awhp or more, and a Cobb AP with TBE is not going to do that at least not that I have seen or read. But it would be SWEET if he did.

I should have my beast out at GLD hopefully as soon as the 31st. I am having a new tune done, along with some extra go fast parts. Shooting for 450awhp + on a DynoJet, using 93 octane....should be pretty easy to do with a good tune and 22 or so PSI.

Rick

Junky Giorgio
07-24-2005, 10:51 PM
all i have to say is AMS. Precise, knowledgable, and acurate hp #s. only slight downside is FWD dyno

my junk heads down to AMS in about a week and a half... :thumbsup

1fastsol
07-25-2005, 06:30 PM
well i have more bad news about that place. i guy with a turbo civic fwd, but when they did all the roller we work and put to much load on it and blow motor. and they do not know how to tune any systems there, you have to bring your own tuner. the guy just got that dyno and still learning how to use it write. and if you ask around you find more story from more people like the one above. do not go there. bad news. and i not trying to be a ****. but they need to learn more first, and set up dyno correctly. :fire

Al
07-25-2005, 06:52 PM
The easier way would be to call up Hiram Willis--the guy that "runs" KJ Auto. I was going to post their information also, but ran out of time.

Hiram is the one who told me about mr. dyno. I also bought that body kit for my prelude from him in 02.

Junky Giorgio
07-26-2005, 12:29 AM
need i say more....
http://www.automotosports.com/dyno_tune.asp

WilliamZ
07-26-2005, 06:39 AM
well i have more bad news about that place. i guy with a turbo civic fwd, but when they did all the roller we work and put to much load on it and blow motor. and they do not know how to tune any systems there, you have to bring your own tuner. the guy just got that dyno and still learning how to use it write. and if you ask around you find more story from more people like the one above. do not go there. bad news. and i not trying to be a ****. but they need to learn more first, and set up dyno correctly. :fire

Who are you talking about? There are many listed above.

twicks69
07-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Chris,

I believe that he is talking about Hiram (KJ auto)--even though it is hard to come to that conclusion since his sentence structure and spelling sucks. Please write complete and readable e-mails, it makes things much easier :thumbsup .

He is probably talking about Bee's civic (Beeyond Engineering)--Bee, if you are out there, can you give some input on this thread??

It sounded like that car was in a poor state of tune while doing the baseline testing, and then the motor failed.

As for Hiram's experience tuning and wrenching on cars, please think again--he does have experience in a pretty wide range of vehicles and tuning. It may not be to the level that you want, but he is not a SPECIALTY tuner and it is difficult to learn the quirks of certain vehicles--especially turbocharged (with non-factory systems) applications.

I do not believe that it is Hiram's fault for the motor failure--they tuned it, he drove it--it was not preloaded. Anyways, there is a contract waiver signed for this such reason. It would have blown up just as easily in the same tune on the street or at the track--just because it failed on the dyno, you cannot blame it on him.

Either way, it is in the past. he has dynoed many cars since then, and does know his dynometer now.

Cleveland Dave
07-26-2005, 12:50 PM
another one to add to the list

dynotuned in madison.

twicks69
07-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Dave,

If you could, can you please edit your post, and add in more information?

Phone number, address, website, dyno type, etc. See the first and second posts for this forum for more information on what I am looking for.

Thank you,

boostedlude3g
07-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Engrish much??

Bee
07-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Chris,

I believe that he is talking about Hiram (KJ auto)--even though it is hard to come to that conclusion since his sentence structure and spelling sucks. Please write complete and readable e-mails, it makes things much easier :thumbsup .

He is probably talking about Bee's civic (Beeyond Engineering)--Bee, if you are out there, can you give some input on this thread??

It sounded like that car was in a poor state of tune while doing the baseline testing, and then the motor failed.

As for Hiram's experience tuning and wrenching on cars, please think again--he does have experience in a pretty wide range of vehicles and tuning. It may not be to the level that you want, but he is not a SPECIALTY tuner and it is difficult to learn the quirks of certain vehicles--especially turbocharged (with non-factory systems) applications.

I do not believe that it is Hiram's fault for the motor failure--they tuned it, he drove it--it was not preloaded. Anyways, there is a contract waiver signed for this such reason. It would have blown up just as easily in the same tune on the street or at the track--just because it failed on the dyno, you cannot blame it on him.

Either way, it is in the past. he has dynoed many cars since then, and does know his dynometer now.

our civic...haha!!! why would it blow.... it hardly blows.. well except the trannies...LMAO!!! Engine tuning is complicated period!!! If you don't know wtf you are doing stay out of it. Yes yes I've had a few years experience in EFI tuning and it's been a blast, but it's not for everyone to love and enjoy. If you don't like headaches STAY OUT of this field!!! :) I heard about the car that blew on KJ's dyno. I will not mention anything at all in regards to this dyno session!!! Except that overall the owner of the car should've knew what/who he was dealing with. Eg. did research,etc, etc before taking his car to the dyno at that facility..also made sure that facility new what EFI system he was running and if they were able to tune that particular EFI system. A car should NOT theoritically blow up if A/F was being monitor at a safe level. Through my 4-5years of EFI tuning I've never had a car blow it's guts @ 12:1a/f let alone sometimes quick spikes upto 13.5:1a/f... yes there are other conditions to take into account, but believe it I've factored them in when I tune cars. Don't know about other tuners, but I've had good success...if a car even looks like it isn't set up correctly it would be in your best interest to not even proceed to dyno tune it!!! That's just how i look at the picture.

Just a few cars I've tune thru the years:

93 civic H22 JDM stock typeS cams 192whp AEM EMS
92 civic gsr 16psi-386whp dfi stock block
95 civic ls/vtec 16psi(small turbo w/ stock block) 337whp vafc-hack
93 civic ls/vtec 90NOS 288whp vafc
95 civic ls/vtec N/A 191whp vafc
94 teg gsr 10psi 289whp vafc
89 civic ls 85NOS 255whp vafc
95 civic b20/vtec 310whp vafc stock block
93 civic b20/vtec 22psi 97degree day fully built dfi 470whp
92 civic gsr fully built 24psi 575whp dfi "NO NOS"
92 civic gsr fully built 28psi 613whp dfi "NO NOS"
95 civic b20/vtec fully built 21psi 489whp AEM EMS
96 civic gsr mild built 355whp 16psi AEM EMS
97 eclipse GST stock block t3/t4e 57trim AEM EMS 409whp
98 eclipse GST stock block super 16g(moded) SAFC 357whp

these cars and more are all beeyond built and beeyond tuned...wheter N/A, NOSed, or blowned...ranged from: high 12sec-very very low 10sec!!!!

damn i'm bored...ok i'm out!!!!! :yawn: :goof

Bee
07-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Engrish much??

dang they are stomping on your ingles delsol!!! :D

twicks69
07-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Bee --

Thank you for your input on the civic failure on the dyno.

This is the reason why I am making this list. I want to be able to have a detailed list concerning the dyno information, as well as the shop tuners and their past vehicle and tuning experience. Cost is the least of my worries, since in most cases the higher the cost the better potential for a quality dyno experience with an experienced tuner (i.e. AMS).

Still, I haven't received much information from you all as to the details I was looking for in my 1st post on this thread. dyno info, shop info, tuner info and backround experience, etc. I am sure that there are a number of people other than myself that talk on a regular basis with quality tuner shops with dynos around the area.

thanks all--

Bee
07-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Bee --

Thank you for your input on the civic failure on the dyno.

This is the reason why I am making this list. I want to be able to have a detailed list concerning the dyno information, as well as the shop tuners and their past vehicle and tuning experience. Cost is the least of my worries, since in most cases the higher the cost the better potential for a quality dyno experience with an experienced tuner (i.e. AMS).

Still, I haven't received much information from you all as to the details I was looking for in my 1st post on this thread. dyno info, shop info, tuner info and backround experience, etc. I am sure that there are a number of people other than myself that talk on a regular basis with quality tuner shops with dynos around the area.

thanks all--

I've used many shop dynos and did plan to buy one myself. Landlord at my current shop will not knock down the rear wall to an existing garage so we will not have a dyno for now that is!!! But dynos I have always love to use are: borchart due to ease (10min away), dynotuned good rates and good friends, used to use michael's performance(distance a factor), and last, but not least--------> hwy 94, hwy 41, hwy 43, and good hope ave with my wideband....... :thumbsup :banana :goof