PDA

View Full Version : this october!!!!!!! :)

SSmike1
07-17-2005, 07:29 AM
dont forget about this one!
:) :thumbsup

MFBA @ RA

http://roadamerica.fbody.us/

lots of track time
Lots of GOOD Great people!!!!!!!
:D

Syclone0044
07-17-2005, 01:33 PM
AHA!! So it appears to be a FACT that this event will be run the SAME as the MFBA one in April, does it not?? By the very same people, in the same format? From looking at the website, I have every reason to beleive so.

That would seem to contradict some information a very confident fellow road racer suggested to me about how another driving group would definitely be running the event instead.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm glad to hear the event will continue in it's known-good form... :thumbsup I don't like to mess with a proven formula!

So lemme tell ya what Mike, I'm gonna plan on finishing up this wreck and make it RoadWorthy with better braking/handling and HorsePower, and bring my @$$ back to Road America!! :rockwoot:

SSmike1
07-17-2005, 08:38 PM
YES,
same people as last april 05, will prolly run it again!
They did a fine Job as usual!!!!!!!
:thumbsup

also, josh, i would love to see ya back at RA with that truck!

you are an excellent driver! :wooo

maybe you can talk your neighbor, ( tommy), into checking it out once! :rolleyes:

see ya soon!
:rolf

AHA!! So it appears to be a FACT that this event will be run the SAME as the MFBA one in April, does it not??

So lemme tell ya what Mike, I'm gonna plan on finishing up this wreck and make it RoadWorthy with better braking/handling and HorsePower, and bring my @$$ back to Road America!! :rockwoot:

Syclone0044
07-18-2005, 10:02 AM
I agree the MFBA/SpeedSeekers/not-sure-what-to-call-them group has always done a good job and I love the event format. I hope it never changes! :thumbsup

Chances are good for getting the truck to the track, but what LS1 Brake Pads would you recommend?? I will be hitting them Hard!! The truck is heavy and front-heavy on top of that, and I will be turning up the power this time around too!! I am actually a little scared of running too much power and not having enough brakes. I am thinking of dialing back the boost to begin with and then turning it up depending on how the brakes feel. I just hope the change from performance street pad / stock 10.5" brakes to a Race Pad / LS1 12" Brake is as dramatic as you suggested! :D

SSmike1
07-18-2005, 03:38 PM
do you have actual, LS1 brakes? = Caliper, & 12" rotor.

I recommend the Carbotech XP9 pad. (1109 compound) for front pads.
it is good for 1400 degrees.

It is $174 a set, but, its worth it, NOT Wrecking, and having CONFIDENT Braking all day long! :banana

here is the linky,...

http://www.carbotecheng.com/main.htm

also, i have been buying the ROTORS with the pads, for $20 for rotors.
even if the rotors only last that weekend, its worth $20.

FOR rear pads, use BOBCAT ( 1521 compound).

the other pads that work, are HAWK,
http://www.raceshopper.com/hawk_brake_compounds.shtml

hawk Blue 9012 = 1000 degrees
I use HT10's = 1600 degrees to make sure

use Hawk HP + plus pads in rear.

mike :)

Syclone0044
07-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks Mike!! Yes I do have honest-to-goodness LS1 brakes. Their is a kit at www.cbrperformance.com that adapts them to the S-Trucks. The Carbotech XP9 pad looks good. That sounds like a hellacious bite. This Road-Racing is sure pricey!!! :( Although, I saw their "winter" deal of getting 2 rotors for dirt cheap when ordered with the pads, are you ordering that deal right from Carbotech?

As for my rears, unfortunately I have truck Drum brakes but I have 2 large shoes on anyways for holding more power at the line (drag racing). I doubt the rears will do anything on this tall, heavy truck. I will certainly be testing the limits of the stock LS1 brakes!!

maybe you can talk your neighbor, ( tommy), into checking it out once! :rolleyes: Good luck!! I tried in the past but I don't think he's really interested at all. I have found that only certain types of people can really "get into road racing". A lot of people look at it as an expensive way to risk wrecking your car, to which I can't disagree, but I'm willing to take the risk in order to have a HUGE thrill!!! :devil

SSmike1
07-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Hey Josh, yes the XP9's have High Friction, but that just means LESS pedal pressure from your foot, and less hydraulic pressure on the brake fluid!
what you really need XP9's for is the TEMP rating!
they will stop your truck all day long, without fading! (gassing/melting).
from exceeding the temperature rating of the compound.

YES, i have recieved the ROTORs with the last 3 sets of pads.
when the pads are done, i toss the rotors too!
so every new set of pads are installed with new rotors! that way!

I think tommy is affraid we will ask him to go for a ride,
and he wont say NO?
I keep telling him just to come and hang out and watch, and look at all the 120 cool cars. he does not have to go on the track!

and for you Josh, i keep laughing, every time i think about,...
how you giggled when i entered the High Speed Braking Zones,
from 135MPH, like Turn 5, and would stand the Camaro on its Nose,

you'd start laughing, from the Braking G's. :rolf

what a Blast hey!

your truck will be close to that with XP9's!

ALSO, use FORD dot 3 brake fluid.

flush the system the week before RA.
:banana

y2kws6
07-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Josh, I have seen your truck and it looks great. I have not looked close enough to see if you installed brake ducts though. That is a big key to Road Racing. Keep the brakes cool. I know Mike has the set-up and I need to do mine on the WS6 (or new RR Car :devil ) to receie optimuim braking.

Dan

SSmike1
07-18-2005, 07:59 PM
check this out

20 cars crash, on front strait at RA

http://www.pbase.com/atrltd/bric2005

dang
what a waste!

SSmike1
07-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Dan,
whats going on?

RR car? :confused

r u guna have a real race car? :wooo
:)
:stare
:wow now that would be cool!

:)

Josh, I have seen your truck and it looks great. I have not looked close enough to see if you installed brake ducts though. That is a big key to Road Racing. Keep the brakes cool. I know Mike has the set-up and I need to do mine on the WS6 (or new RR Car :devil ) to receie optimuim braking.

Dan

Syclone0044
07-19-2005, 02:19 PM
and for you Josh, i keep laughing, every time i think about,...
how you giggled when i entered the High Speed Braking Zones,
from 135MPH, like Turn 5, and would stand the Camaro on its Nose,

you'd start laughing, from the Braking G's. :rolf

what a Blast hey!

your truck will be close to that with XP9's! Haha yeah Mike that's me alright.. I have so much fun racing cars!!! :goof I gave my Dad a ride in my truck and he said when I come out of the Carousel nearing 100MPH I make all kinds of noise!! :rolf

Can't wait to try out those XP9 pads!!!! Do you bed them to the rotors ahead of time, at home? Or does 1 set last both Sat and Sun?

SSmike1
07-20-2005, 06:16 AM
Josh, you have the need for speed! :rolf

The XP9's last me a whole MFBA weekend, from new pads. ( but bring spare rotors & pads), just in case.

What i do, is bed them in at home, ( so i dont have to do this my first session out),
is i install the new pads & rotors, some time before the weekend,
1 or 2 weeks ahead,
and make sure you get out where ther are no police,
and do 4, 60 to 10MPH slow downs, at 80% braking,
then do 4, 100 to 20MPH slow downs, at 90% braking,

and you should SMELL the pads getting hot, that first time they get that hot.

Thats what i do, and all weekend i have Great Brakes! :banana

Syclone0044
07-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Great info Mike. The last question I have is - the XP9 won't produce toxic brake dust that ruins the finish on rims and paint like the Hawk Blues, will it? :wow

PS: Hey Mike, I will bet that Tom doesn't even read the Road racing forum. We should make jokes and see if he ever finds them!! :rolf :goof

SSmike1
07-20-2005, 12:02 PM
TOXIC, where did you get that from? :confused :)

the HAWK BLUEs are metallic, = metalic Brake Dust at 1,000 degrees
which tends to stick into Painted surfaces.

the carbotech's are ceramic, and i have not had a problem with the dust sticking into painted surfaces. my guess is it(brake dust) cools faster.

so to answer you, carbotechs will not hurt paint, like hawks.
:D

y2kws6
07-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Yes Mike a possible RR Car if Yoosof's buddy comes down a little in price. I can only afford so much and then spend so much on mod parts for it.

I have the results on the metallic pads going into the WS6 5 spoke High pollished alluminuim wheels; hense the RR tires have them now and I got new Firehawk rims for the daily wheels.

Dan

SSmike1
07-22-2005, 12:09 PM
ahhh you experienced the HAWK Blues Brake dust too!

a RR car, that will be nice if it happens!
i always try to be very conservative with my street car on the race track!
a RR car you can be a little more agressive! :banana
:wow :rolf

Yes Mike a possible RR Car if Yoosof's buddy comes down a little in price. I can only afford so much and then spend so much on mod parts for it.

I have the results on the metallic pads going into the WS6 5 spoke High pollished alluminuim wheels; hense the RR tires have them now and I got new Firehawk rims for the daily wheels.

Dan