PDA

View Full Version : I might be a redneck....

Rocket Power
07-17-2005, 02:11 AM
Well I have decided that I am going to pull the 2004r and put in the redone TH350. I am just too scared I am going to wreck it when it's subject to slightly more torque than you're average 305 and 307 puts out. :rolf

So now I have 3.73 gears and a 25" tire (235/60R14) on it. Not liking the sound of 3K rpm's @ 60 which is what the calculators say, not acounting for slippage.

I know , I know, my car should actually leave the driveway before I worry about the freeway :D

Don't really have extra money right now for a new set of tires. So as I am thinking of solutions I remeber my uncle gave me a new pair of 255/70R 15's. So I went out to work today and mounted one of them to see if it will fit. They are about 29" tall :wow
Which would drop about 400 rpms off @ 60.

I didn't get around to trying it on the car tonite so I will do that in the morning.

Hopefully if they do fit in the wheelwells I will be able to lower the rear a bit so I don't end up with that ever so popular 70's stinkbug look. :goof
If the ass of the car is way up in the air I'll just suck it up and keep the little tires on it, which are about the same diameter as a regular cutlass has so they aren't SUPER tiny.

Rocket Power
07-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Well she's a little taller. :goof
Compared to my wife's 86 442 the rear bumper is about 4" taller. They do fit and just clear the tail pipe. But I don't know, makes the front tires look even smaller.
I don't know if I could lower the rear down enough to look good and still have room for suspension movement.

Here's a pic, pay no attn to how much cleaning my garage needs :goof

Syclone0044
07-17-2005, 01:26 PM
It seems like the obvious solution to have Jimmy's in Mundelein Illinois build a stout 200-R4 that can handle all the torque you can throw at it. I would expect to pay $2000 for something that can handle 600-800 FT-LBs, just guessing. Jimmy's is known to have fantastic service as well, so I'm wondering what kept you from chosing that route? If you don't plan on making "big block style torque" then I am sure he could build one even cheaper.

Signed,
A Big Automatic Overdrive Transmission Fan

Rocket Power
07-17-2005, 02:04 PM
$$$$$$$$$ kept me from it.
It should make BB style torque. It's got 461 cubes of BBO :D

I actually had originally bough the car as a parts car for my wifes, but then I figured I'd throw in my BBO and have some fun with it. I don't plan on sticking much if any money in it. The BBO will most likely see duty in the 64 when it's done and then who knows what I'll do with the 86 maybe make a daily out of it or part it out. Who knows?
But since the 64 is a stick car and since in 64 the 442 only came with a stick, I wouldn't have a use for a built up auto,and then I'd have to hear everyone say "it's not a real 64 442 , it's got an auto" :goof

I may just leave it in to see if I am one of the "lucky" ones. Some people have stockers live behind the 455 some don't.

Prince Valiant
07-17-2005, 03:17 PM
I might be a redneck.... uh, might?? :goof

Rocket Power
07-17-2005, 10:15 PM
uh, might?? :goof

Hey now ! ;) :D