PDA

View Full Version : Well... Finally some progress

BAD LS1
07-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Here is a camera phone shot of the new motor after some minor assembly tonight, waiting ong head gaskets and head studs then its read to drop back in.

Its only been a month but damn it feels longer than that!

Should be running by middle of next week.

Just a trusty little forged internal 346.
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8338/neweng6mc.jpg

CruxGNZ
07-08-2005, 12:31 AM
I thought LS1's were 348? Were the hell did I come up with 348... anyways...

Only a month? Try two years! :goof Makes ya kind of nutty telling yourself "just a few more weeks" haha

!M!

GTSLOW
07-08-2005, 04:12 AM
Here is a camera phone shot of the new motor after some minor assembly tonight, waiting ong head gaskets and head studs then its read to drop back in.

Its only been a month but damn it feels longer than that!

Should be running by middle of next week.

Just a trusty little forged internal 346.
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8338/neweng6mc.jpg

Looks nice! Is the crank forged too?? Whats the compression gonna be?

Also whats the final plan? Big shot nos car? Gonna stick with the 6speed?

BTW is that a cobalt in the background!?!?

BAD LS1
07-08-2005, 07:44 AM

BTW is that a cobalt in the background!?!?

Stock crank... never heard of or read of one breaking yet...

Stock Compression 10.1:1

BIG shot, YES! 6 Speed, YES! And it will be staying for a long time to come.

Yeah thats my moms new Cobalt LS in the background.

Crawlin
07-08-2005, 08:21 AM
And it will be staying for a long time to come..

He's not a wuss like me :)

Poncho
07-09-2005, 01:50 AM
you guys must lease, eh?

You always know when there's a new Chevy model out.

Drive by Tom's parents, and there one will be.
No, I'm not kidding.
It's actually been entertaining the last few years, something new all the time. :)

good to see it coming back together.

UnderPSI
07-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Hey Tom, did you use a bottom end girdle. I have seen alot of people building ls1's using them now. Just wondering.

BAD LS1
07-09-2005, 11:15 PM
you guys must lease, eh?

You always know when there's a new Chevy model out.

Drive by Tom's parents, and there one will be.
No, I'm not kidding.
It's actually been entertaining the last few years, something new all the time. :)

good to see it coming back together.

Nope no leasing, they tried it once... big PITA. U see the old man just got an 05' Sierra too? The 03' Tahoe LT is gone... There is 3 red vehicles now and one black one. TOO MUCH RED

BAD LS1
07-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Here is some better shots.

No i didnt use a stud girdle, just ARP studs, stock mains.

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/2923/tomsmotor0011xr.jpg

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/7400/tomsmotor0042ub.jpg

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/9538/tomsmotor0056ak.jpg

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/1579/tomsmotor0067hq.jpg

Anakonda69
07-09-2005, 11:39 PM
symbols on the top of the piston looks like the ones on columbia bowling balls to show you how to put ur fingers in the ball...lmao

STKMACH
07-10-2005, 03:46 AM

BTW is that a cobalt in the background!?!? All stick cars I mean F- bodys,stangs,vettes come with forged cranks autos are cast

SloFarmTruck
07-10-2005, 10:19 AM
All stick cars I mean F- bodys,stangs,vettes come with forged cranks autos are cast

WTF???

lotsals1
07-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Hey Tom, did you use a bottom end girdle. I have seen alot of people building ls1's using them now. Just wondering.I will be useing one -i figure it makes sense might as well try it out im a little worried about the oiling with them --i have someone that will have them copied for me so i can recover the cost of it

Adamsy87
07-10-2005, 12:25 PM
All stick cars I mean F- bodys,stangs,vettes come with forged cranks autos are cast

Is this guy for real?!?!?! :confused

Prince Valiant
07-10-2005, 02:43 PM
I don't know...looks like those pistons are more than 4 inches in the hole :goof

Looks good, can't wait to see it out...more accurately, out on the track getting times slips.

lotsals1
07-10-2005, 03:27 PM
I don't know...looks like those pistons are more than 4 inches in the hole :goof

Looks good, can't wait to see it out...more accurately, out on the track getting times slips.
looks stock sleeved to me --if it wasnt the sleeves would be touching one another on the deck --

STKMACH
07-10-2005, 06:18 PM
WTF??? slow chuck wagon WTF? are you WTF ing about Now cant I post anywhere without you chiming in :D :D

STKMACH
07-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Is this guy for real?!?!?! :confusedAll I was stating was stick shift cars come stock with forged crank shafts My Mach did at least, maybe im wrong about the others. Lighten up man. If you know something I dont know point it out to me please dont get all arrogant right away Peace to ya

STKMACH
07-10-2005, 07:01 PM
WTF??? Look Im tired of this BS I do not know everything, Actually I never met any one that did, However we all share the same interests cars of course and making them faster. Sure we all talk sh#t at times I know I do, But its all in fun I thought. If ya don't understand what im posting please ask me what my point is, That would be alot better than WTF???????????? Thanks have a nice day

SloFarmTruck
07-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Look Im tired of this BS I do not know everything, Actually I never met any one that did, However we all share the same interests cars of course and making them faster. Sure we all talk sh#t at times I know I do, But its all in fun I thought. If ya don't understand what im posting please ask me what my point is, That would be alot better than WTF???????????? Thanks have a nice day

Hey dumbass speaking of not knowing everything. It was crawlinZ that posted the WTF under my name. since I personally dont know $hit about LS1's. So remove the stick from your vagina and lighten up. seems I really hit a nerve or something. I believe the "WTF" was our way of saying. "clears throat" ..."excuse me mr stock/modmach. by stating that all stick cars have a forged crank and autos have a cast one. Where exactly are you getting this general information from. Do you have some insight that you could share with us on this topic, since I am more than intrigued by your statement. Because CrawlinZ has seen both cranks and they are the same for LS1's I am sorry that Ford choses to cheat there customers with different cranks.

whew see its easier to say WTF!! :thumbsup

SloFarmTruck
07-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Tom sorry about the hijack. Motor's looking good!! :thumbsup

Prince Valiant
07-10-2005, 08:57 PM
looks stock sleeved to me --if it wasnt the sleeves would be touching one another on the deck --
I was just foolin' tim...my eyes aren't calibrated to accurately measure the piston depths at bdc :durr

STKMACH
07-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Hey dumbass speaking of not knowing everything. It was crawlinZ that posted the WTF under my name. since I personally dont know $hit about LS1's. So remove the stick from your vagina and lighten up. seems I really hit a nerve or something. I believe the "WTF" was our way of saying. "clears throat" ..."excuse me mr stock/modmach. by stating that all stick cars have a forged crank and autos have a cast one. Where exactly are you getting this general information from. Do you have some insight that you could share with us on this topic, since I am more than intrigued by your statement. Because CrawlinZ has seen both cranks and they are the same for LS1's I am sorry that Ford choses to cheat there customers with different cranks.

whew see its easier to say WTF!! :thumbsupI did not know crawlinZ was posting under your name sorry WTF LOL :thumbsup I will find the info and post it in the general chat

STKMACH
07-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Ya Tom sorry to jump in your thread Im gone

Syclone0044
07-11-2005, 10:46 AM
I don't know...looks like those pistons are more than 4 inches in the hole :goof What are you talking about? I was too focused on how it's like the Grand Canyon between those pistons.. :goof

BAD LS1
07-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Well its back in action, it roared to life at 12:45 today, and once the coolant and power steering was bled, out it went for it maiden voyage with no hood LOL.

Imediatley upon exiting the subdivsion, my foot mysteriously found it way to the floor through 4 gears, shifting right about 6800, then let off and started down shifting to load the motor to help the ALL IMPORTANT ring seating process, and i put 12.5 miles on it and it recieved a beating like no other to a brand spanking new fresh motor. Then followed it all up with 3 donughts in an intersection in 2nd gear, smoked out the whole intersection and it was boucing off the 7100 revlimiter the whole time, i just kept my foot planted to the floor, and counter steered out of it :headbang

Heh you think im nuts for torturing a new motor like this... Look at it this way if its gonna blow up, better to have it happen sooner than later right? You will find any flaws in those first 10 miles of that kinda hard driving.

It deffinatley feels stronger than the stock motor, especially mid-top rpm range and love sitting at high rpms. No blue smoke on start up or deceleration!! no more piston slap noise... Ill repeat this process once more when it cools down and then change the oil and filter.

Not certain when ill have it out yet but it will be soon.

-Tom

DirtyMax
07-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Awesome break-in tips. :wooo

I broke in a quad that way... worked for me too. :thumbsup

jbiscuit
07-15-2005, 02:40 PM
nice work Tommy! I have read that people have had good results with pounding brand new motors and their longevity afterwards. Hope yours acts the same way. Slap the hood on it and take it out some more before everyone gets out of work and beat the snot out of it some more to make sure everything is good to go :thumbsup :stare

UnderPSI
07-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Kinda the same thing as people putting a fresh buildt motor on an engine dyno. People do it all the time with no ill effects.

Good luck with the car.

HITMAN
07-15-2005, 03:48 PM
I do not know everything, Actually I never met any one that did...

That's because you haven't met me yet. :D http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies/LS1Tech/gr_tongue.gif

Prince Valiant
07-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Hope you've got some nice wide ring gaps for those 300 shots of nitrious :thumbsup

BAD LS1
07-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Hope you've got some nice wide ring gaps for those 300 shots of nitrious :thumbsup

.020" is where its at now :thumbsup Should be good for a healthy dose of spray w/o the rings butting. Stock is .009-.012" :eek: = major ring buttage on a 250 shot (which im about 99% sure is what caused the original failure) :durr

Cleveland Dave
07-15-2005, 06:05 PM
How To Properly Break In A Motor

There are 3 ways you can break in an engine:

1. On a dyno
2. On the street, or off road
3. On the racetrack

On a Dyno:

Warm the engine up completely!!

Then, using 4th gear or D in an automatic:

* Do Three 1/2 Throttle dyno runs from 40% - 60% of your engine's max rpm.
Let it Cool Down For About 15 Minutes
* Do Three 3/4 Throttle dyno runs from 40% - 80% of your engine's max rpm.
Let it Cool Down For About 15 Minutes
* Do Three Full Throttle dyno runs from 30% - 100% of your engine's max rpm.
Let it Cool Down For About 15 Minutes Go For It!!
* NOTE: If you use a dyno with a brake, it's critical during break - in that you allow the engine to decelerate fully on it's own. (Don't use the dyno brake.) The engine vacuum created during closed throttle deceleration sucks the excess oil and metal off the cylinder walls.

The point of this is to remove the very small (micro) particles of ring and cylinder material that are part of the normal wear during this process. During deceleration, the particles suspended in the oil blow out the exhaust, rather than accumulating in the ring grooves between the piston and rings. This keeps the rings from wearing too much.

You'll notice that at first the engine "smokes" on deceleration, this is normal, as the rings haven't sealed yet. When you're doing it right, you'll notice that the smoke goes away after about 7-8 runs.

On the Street:

Warm the engine up completely:

* Because of the wind resistance, you don't need to use higher gears like you would on a dyno machine. The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.
* Realistically, you won't be able to do full throttle runs even in 2nd gear on most vehicles without exceeding 50 mph / 80 kph. The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration. You don't have to go over 65 mph / 104 kph to properly load the rings. Also, make sure that you're not being followed by another vehicle when you decelerate, most drivers won't expect that you'll suddenly slow down, and we don't want anyone to get hit from behind!!
* The biggest problem with breaking your engine in on the street (besides police) is if you drive the vehicle on the freeway (too little throttle = not enough pressure on the rings) or if you get stuck in slow city traffic. For the first 200 miles or so, get out into the country where you can vary the speed more and run it through the gears!
* Be Safe On The Street! Watch your speed! When you're not used to the handling of a new vehicle, you should accelerate only on the straight-aways, then slow down extra early for the turns. Remember that both hard acceleration and hard engine braking (deceleration) are equally important during the break in process.

On the Racetrack:

Warm the engine up completely:

* Do one easy lap to warm up your tires. Pit, turn off the vehicle& check for leaks or any safety problems. Take a normal 15-minute practice session and check the water temperature occasionally. The racetrack is the perfect environment to break in an engine!! The combination of acceleration and deceleration is just the ticket for sealing the rings.
* Go For It!!

The piston on the right was broken in as per MotoMan's instructions.

After a full season of hard racing:

* Perfect Ring Seal ...
* No Scuffing ...

Change Your Oil Right Away !!

The best thing you can do for your engine is to change your oil and filter after the first 20 miles. Most of the wearing in process happens immediately, creating a lot of metal in the oil. Plus, the amount of leftover machining chips and other crud left behind in the manufacturing process is simply amazing !! You want to flush that stuff out before it gets recycled and embedded in the bearings, oil pump etc...

BAD LS1
07-15-2005, 07:02 PM
That is the motoman prescribed break in procedure, and thats how it was done.

Yooformula
07-15-2005, 09:21 PM
I babied the 2nd motor that went into my car and it was slow as piss even after alot of break in miles. When I first got the car, it was rolled off the truck and I pretty much had first crack at it. I beat the almighty sh|t out it and that pig ran HARD. I hit the track within 100 miles then dynoed by the end of the 1st week. I damm near melted down the tires during my test drive then most of the way home from the dealer. The salesman begged me to slow down at one point :headbang :D

SSmike1
07-16-2005, 08:45 AM
That is the motoman prescribed break in procedure, and thats how it was done.
TOM,
you know how i feel.
BTSOOI = Beat The S--T Out Of It
right as soon as shes Oiled up & got a few heat cycles,
and there are No Leaks, BTSOOI. :wooo

When I got my Brand New (Ordered)(no test drives)(20 miles)
2000 SS camaro, i literally beat the sh-t out of it the very first day!
and that car has NEVER had a problem,
and it has 30,000 track miles, and still running strong!!!!!!!
Tom knows my car pretty good! :rolf

its still STOCK, all stock, and runs 13.10, @ 107mph, on the Stock Goodyear F1's,
and it Dyno'd at 308RWHP and 315RWTQ, at Speed INC's dyno,
at 20,000 miles.

its a M6. :banana

SSmike1
07-16-2005, 08:50 AM
I damm near melted down the tires during my test drive then most of the way home from the dealer. The salesman begged me to not slow down at one point :headbang :D
he was not scared?

i test drove a SS from Heiser, and the sales man was scared to death! :stare

he was a chicken. :wow

I did not Back Off though. i did not exceed the speed limit,
but i was at WOT from a dead stop, on the freeway ramp!

the guy turned white as a ghost, as i banged the 1/2 shift. :rolf
at redline! :D

Yooformula
07-16-2005, 11:00 AM
he was not scared? :D

Oops,I didnt catch my typo, thanks Mike. The guy was petrified. At the gas station for a fill up he literally pleaded with me to not drive like that again.

SSmike1
07-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Oops,I didnt catch my typo, thanks Mike. The guy was petrified. At the gas station for a fill up he literally pleaded with me to not drive like that again.
ha ha ha
:rolf
the scardy cat!
but, hey, Yoosof,
:wow
you scare me too when ya drive! ;)
:eek:

J/K
just kidding
:goof

ponyride00
07-16-2005, 01:30 PM

I hate to break this to you, but neither your Mach or my GT have forged cranks. But my car has an older tranny than yours so maybe you got the forged stuff. :goof

HITMAN
07-17-2005, 12:11 AM
I hate to break this to you, but neither your Mach or my GT have forged cranks. But my car has an older tranny than yours so maybe you got the forged stuff. :goof

The Mach-1s in automatic form have a cast crank, but the manual equipped ones come with a forged crank. STKMACH is also incorrect. With the exception of the new LS7 that will be coming in the '06 Z06, no LSx series engine, manual or automatic, comes with a factory forged crank.

STKMACH
07-18-2005, 12:57 AM
The Mach-1s in automatic form have a cast crank, but the manual equipped ones come with a forged crank. STKMACH is also incorrect. With the exception of the new LS7 that will be coming in the '06 Z06, no LSx series engine, manual or automatic, comes with a factory forged crank. Well I learned something new today I thought all manual cars came with forged cranks ,Seeing they take more punishment in the drive train than autos do, Thanks for the info (Peace) :thumbsup

STKMACH
07-18-2005, 01:06 AM
I hate to break this to you, but neither your Mach or my GT have forged cranks. But my car has an older tranny than yours so maybe you got the forged stuff. :goof Mines a manual the crank is forged.
I was wrong on the F Body cars and Vettes, I thought they would have forged cranks as well on a mamual trans, Hitmans right, I did do my home work on that, But never posted it. Peace too all.

UnderPSI
07-18-2005, 11:06 AM
you some kind of hippie Stkmach? Peace to Ya. Peace Peace to me peace to you peace to everyone peace to my car peace to your car what's with all the peace? This is BCM there is supposed to be no peace. And it's you not ya. K-Bye

Peace

STKMACH
07-18-2005, 12:40 PM
you some kind of hippie Stkmach? Peace to Ya. Peace Peace to me peace to you peace to everyone peace to my car peace to your car what's with all the peace? This is BCM there is supposed to be no peace. And it's you not ya. K-Bye

Peace :rolf Hippie I don't think so. :rolf :rolf
This is BCM? :wow I forgot, Fargin Drama Queen

lotsals1
07-18-2005, 04:07 PM
I babied the 2nd motor that went into my car and it was slow as piss even after alot of break in miles. When I first got the car, it was rolled off the truck and I pretty much had first crack at it. I beat the almighty sh|t out it and that pig ran HARD. I hit the track within 100 miles then dynoed by the end of the 1st week. I damm near melted down the tires during my test drive then most of the way home from the dealer. The salesman begged me to slow down at one point :headbang :DYah but hows that original motor fairing Yooshie :D

SmokinRAM114
07-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Awesome break-in tips. :wooo

I broke in a quad that way... worked for me too. :thumbsup

ya i no someone that did that to a yfz450 bought it unloaded it and basically unloaded wat it had as soon as it was ingear..it made the cam look nice... :durr

STKMACH
07-18-2005, 06:40 PM
That's because you haven't met me yet. :D http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies/LS1Tech/gr_tongue.gif Your one of the few, And thanks for clearing up the Mach 1 crank talk, Manuals are forged autos are cast, And The info on the F-Bodies and Vettes cranks as well. Manuals cast and autos are cast. This was posted by (slofarmtruck) Do you have some insight that you could share with us on this topic, since I am more than intrigued by your statement. Because CrawlinZ has seen both cranks and they are the same for LS1's I am sorry that Ford choses to cheat there customers with different cranks. Do you have some insight that you could share with us on this topic, since I am more than intrigued by your statement. Because CrawlinZ has seen both cranks and they are the same for LS1's I am sorry that Ford choses to cheat there customers with different cranks. Posted by HITMAN(STKMACH) is also incorrect. With the exception of the new LS7 that will be coming in the '06 Z06, no LSx series engine, manual or automatic, comes with a factory forged crank. Thanks HITMAN for clearing that up :thumbsup :haveabeer