PDA

View Full Version : My DD took a ****...help?

T-Bag
07-03-2005, 10:17 AM
First, the vehicle
1987 Chevy S-10 blazer, 2.8 liters of throttle body injected FURY, automatic, 188,000 miles

I was coming home from Oxford (near the dells) yesterday after a few hours of four wheeling. Shortly after I get on the freeway I lost all power, then the truck starts to pop/backfire. I figure...hey must of overheated....but the gauge was not even close to being pegged. Waited for half an hour and tried to start...no luck, just a bunch of cranking over. To make a long story short, the sheriff came, called a tow truck while my friend took my four wheeler and trailer back to his place. $450 tow home in a very nice AUTOMATIC international diesel flatbed. Nice rig...

Anywho. When I get home my neighbor was helping me figure out what's wrong with the damn thing. Pulled the air cleaner and watched the injectors: we have fuel. Pulled a plug wire off one of the cylinders....no spark. Pull a wire off the coil....we have spark. Now we are assuming that the timing chain has snapped, and left it at that

My questions to you all

1. Does this sound like a timing chain issue since some cylinders aren't getting spark?

2. If it is...is this motor an interference engine and are my valves royally ****ed? Is it time for a 350 conversion in which I have no money for?

T-Bag
07-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Well...I pulled the distributor cap for shits and giggles...and it turns out that THE FREAGIN ROTOR BLEW THE F*CK UP. Blew up into pieces....what the hell? Ah well, I replaced it and the rotor and she runs fine again, long live the death blazer

theavenger333
07-03-2005, 01:06 PM
was just about to hit reply...... but you got it... and btw no, not an interferance motor

lotsals1
07-03-2005, 02:30 PM
ooops replied before i saw ya got it going again --man thats gotta suck 450 bux for a rotor

T-Bag
07-03-2005, 05:30 PM
ooops replied before i saw ya got it going again --man thats gotta suck 450 bux for a rotor

Yeah...something I could have fixed on the road but the sheriff wanted the thing off the highway ASAP, and I was in the middle of nowhere. Hopefully insurance will cover some of it...I have roadside assistance, so we'll see what's up come tuesday.

BTW, I hate GM distributors, lol. Freagin backmounted piles of..... :thumbsup

BAD LS1
07-03-2005, 05:36 PM
BTW, I hate GM distributors, lol. Freagin backmounted piles of..... :thumbsup

Hey its only 2 screws and its off :goof ;)

T-Bag
07-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Hey its only 2 screws and its off :goof ;)

True, not saying it wasn't easy, just had to crawl inside the engine bay pretty much. :thumbsup

lotsals1
07-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Yeah...something I could have fixed on the road but the sheriff wanted the thing off the highway ASAP, and I was in the middle of nowhere. Hopefully insurance will cover some of it...I have roadside assistance, so we'll see what's up come tuesday.

BTW, I hate GM distributors, lol. Freagin backmounted piles of..... :thumbsupyah the ls1 doesnt have a distributor at all --thank god!

Syclone0044
07-04-2005, 01:42 PM
just had to crawl inside the engine bay pretty much. :thumbsup
Welcome to my world! :goof