PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Synthetic at Advance

MoreTorque
06-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Advance Auto Parts has the new 5w-30 and 10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic Oil for $27.48/case of 6 quarts and a $15 mail in rebate.
$2.08/quart for oil that should work better than Mobil 1 in GM engines and great in everything else.... not bad at all.

Anakonda69
06-29-2005, 06:26 PM
pennzoil is the crappiest oil. way to much wax content. wal-mart sells 5 quart jugs of mobil 1 for 19 bux.

MoreTorque
06-29-2005, 06:28 PM
pennzoil is the crappiest oil. way to much wax content. wal-mart sells 5 quart jugs of mobil 1 for 19 bux.

Time to update your 15 year old knowledge there captain....

Pennzoil is one of the best oils now. No sludge, no wax. Their new synthetic looks awesome on paper so I am giving it a try. I plan on doing an analysis on it after 3,000 miles to see how it did.

Mobil 1 5w30 and 10w30 don't have the cSt needed for most GM engines. They are very thin 30wt oils... nearly a 20wt. Mobil 1 0w40 is a good choice though. It tests as a thick 30wt.

Anakonda69
06-29-2005, 10:28 PM
my bad.i use amsoil.

Flight_740
06-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Castrol full synthetic here. :thumbsup I'll have to check out the sale.

350-Z28
07-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Mag 1 oil here, all i use, then again thats the oil my dad's shop has

animal
07-06-2005, 09:19 AM

Don't you mean 4 qt? I've never seen a 5 qt mobil 1 jug... it'd mean I only had to buy one extra bottle.

WilliamZ
07-06-2005, 10:12 AM
It's 5 quart

turboZ
07-06-2005, 10:31 AM
I use amsoil, from what Ive read its the best synthetic out there.

Syclone0044
07-06-2005, 01:04 PM
I've been using the 5Qt WalMart Mobil1 10W-30 jugs for years now. I love it. My daily driver makes 270HP on a Turbo 3.1L and I beat the **** out of it and change it every 3000, oil still golden when it comes out. 163,000 mi.

I also run it in my truck.

Teufelhunden
07-07-2005, 04:15 PM
All oil is the same...it all comes from the same processing plant just in different containers. Clever marketing.... :goof
Easy...I'm flipping kidding, gosh.

wikked
07-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Hey I almost didn't see that last line

Teufelhunden
07-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Yeah it works better if you add it with an edit bish

mxman18
07-10-2005, 05:19 AM
my bad.i use amsoil.
One question is it true that you can run amsoil in your car for 10,000miles :wooo and does it really give you 5hp or something like that. Because i got some of that **** from my buddies dad and that is what he told me?

twicks69
07-10-2005, 10:22 PM
As for the Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil out now, you MUST read the back of the container!! They have changed the labeling scheme on the containers so that the 5-quart containers that you are paying 19 dollars for is actually a synthetic BLEND--with the old label on the front of the container. In the certification icon (it is a circle), it reads ENERGY CONSERVING in the bottom half. THIS IS THE BAD CRAPPY OIL. It is usually a "recycled blend" of semi-synthetic oils reblended with synthetic oil.

The original good stuff's certification is BLANK in the bottom label; and the NEW containers now read something like "EXTENDED PERFORMANCE" on the front of the label in gold, and the certification on the back is blank in the bottom half of the label. The cost is around $22.00 or so at Walmart, and many other locations around are moderately higher for the 5-quart container.

I have done comparisons of the new oil (energy conserving vs. "extended performance - off road formula) and the energy conserving oil discolors (turns to black very quickly) and is less efficient, causing more thermal breakdown of the oil (increasing oil consumption)... versus the "Extended Performance" Mobil 1 synthetic oil...which stays fresher for a longer duration of time with very little consumption and can be kept in the engine for a longer duration of time between oil changes.

Personally, I use either Royal Purple 10W-30 synthetic, or Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-30 synthetic oils in both of my turbocharged vehicles.

I would reccomend these oils for vehicles that are turbocharged, supercharged, high performance, or high compression.

I would be wary of using most synthetic oils in rotary engine vehicles since there is oil squirted from the eccentric shaft into the combustion chamber during both combustion cycles, and synthetic oils can potentially lead to carbon residue buildup on the apex seals or on the side housings leading to carbon lock failure. Natural oil is reccomended for non-turbo and turbocharged rotary engines because it will leave less residue buildup if it is changed regularly.

www.Pettitracing.com sells a fuel lubrication product called Protek-R which is composed of preformulated synthetic oil and detergents that you should add to each tank of fuel in turbocharged rotary applications (pictured below)

oh well, enough rant and technobabble. Good night!

Syclone0044
07-11-2005, 10:15 AM
:wooo Wow, thanks for that info!! Unfortunately I just stocked up on what sounds like the WRONG STUFF.. :( I still have some old bottles on my shelf, I'll have to check out the certification logo. How can Mobil think it's acceptable to pull a scam like swapping for an inferior product while retaining the original shelf-front packaging? Does the FTC know about that? :fire

Any links I can read up on this? I had no idea. Thanks again,

Teufelhunden
07-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Any links I can read up on this? I had no idea. Thanks again,

Google is your friend. :)

Syclone0044
07-11-2005, 10:33 AM
I did some searching (Scott beat me here before I could finish :)) and I'm not convinced yet. Check out Mobil1's website. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_FAQs.aspx

Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications[...]

I've noticed that Mobil 1 has a lighter shade than usual. What is the reason for this change? Will it affect Mobil 1 performance?

In the summer of 2004, we improved one of Mobil 1's additives, which resulted in a slight color change. Rest assured that this change in color will have no effect on Mobil 1's outstanding performance. All versions of a specific Mobil 1 product - prior to and following the color change - can be mixed without any effect on product quality or performance.

Here's another one from their site on Mobil1 Extended Performance http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_FAQs.aspx

What is the difference between Mobil 1® Extended Performance and the currently available Mobil 1?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with boosted level of protection and performance. These formulations with the Advanced SuperSyn System contain 50 percent more SuperSyn, 36 percent more anti-wear additives, and 37 percent more cleaning agents than the current Mobil 1. The last part pretty much sums it up for me. Sounds like Extended Performance is in fact the new version, while "the current Mobil 1" sounds like it's still the same. That's straight from the horses mouth, but I'm open to more reading if you guys have some more evidence.. And I'm still gonna look at the labels tonight, to try and verify the claim made here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1214932

The new Mobil 1 oil meets API SM, SL/CF.
The older Mobil 1 oil meets API SL, SJ/CF.

Sigh, I think engine oil is one of the most folklore-prone subjects of the automotive field (which itself is probably the most frightening market I've ever entered, speaking in terms of a consumer). I have some friends who still beleive that Mobil1 will cause your rubber seals to turn to mush and to cause your Rear main seal to leak.. :rolleyes:

MoreTorque
07-11-2005, 04:41 PM
The true synthetics in the Mobil lineup are BOTH "Mobil 1" and "Mobil 1 Extended Performance". I am 100% positive of that.

The "Mobil Clean 5000" and Mobil Clean 7500" oils are the blends.

twicks69
07-11-2005, 06:15 PM
thanks for the clearup in my post--still, I would reccomend the Extended Performance over the regular Mobil 1 synthetic.

Thanks for the research Syclone!

Syclone0044
07-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Not to beat a dead horse but I have some more information on the subject I wanted to share. I read a line yesterday that Ronald Reagan said "Trust, but verify." I like that one. So while I trust Mobil1's website, I verified for myself.

The only old style Mobil1 jug I could find with the green cap in my garage, was one I used for crap oil so just ignore the magic marker..

Old Front
http://s95370645.onlinehome.us/syclone/images/mobil1old1a.jpg

Old Back
http://s95370645.onlinehome.us/syclone/images/mobil1old1b.jpg

New Front
http://s95370645.onlinehome.us/syclone/images/mobil1new1a.jpg

New Back
http://s95370645.onlinehome.us/syclone/images/mobil1new1b.jpg

I noticed both say Fully Synthetic and both seem to have the SL/CF rating. I like the part where they mention turbocharged engines :D

My shelf of $100 of Mobil1 oil that turned out to be good stuff
http://s95370645.onlinehome.us/syclone/images/mobil1shelf.jpg

Yooformula
07-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the tip Brandon, I picked up a bunch of oil and got my rebate. Sorry to hijack your thread B

BadAzzGTA89
07-23-2005, 02:26 AM
For my V8's i have used castrol 10W40 for years due to i don't drive those cars in winter but for umteen years around my pops shop castrol has been the oil . It's like ford or chevy on this one :shades

awsomeears
07-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Pro-tech 10w 30 :headbang $4.97 for a 5qt. jug :stare

cant beat that :rolf

A B4C Z
07-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Castrol Syntec Theres a reason BMW uses it im sure. And it comes out so clear when you check the dip stick it looks like nothing is on it.

Kyle