PDA

View Full Version : Finally popped my motor!

twicks69
06-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Geez....It took long enough to finally die.

Was up at Wisconsin International Raceway in Appleton on Friday, when I was unfortunate enough to wheel hop the two front wheels on the launch.

Result: Popped my left outer axle out of the halfshaft bracket, blew out the bearings in the right outer CV joint, and now I have rod knock! woo hoo.... :flipoff2:

Also, looking to get Swain coated poly moly on skirts and rods, and street thermal coated on the piston domes.

Oh well any suggestions on piston/rod combos or any extra sets of 7-bolt 97-99 aftermarket rods, pistons, etc. for sale?

My rods of choice are preferably Oliver, Pauter, Carillo, Crower, or Eagle.

My pistons of choice are either Ross, Eagle or CP.

I would like also any testamonials regarding your experiences with these brands in your 4G63, import or domestic vehicle.

This will be a street motor, and will not need aluminum rods, so don't suggest Groden's (even though they are sweet!).

9.0:1 comp. ratio
.020" over.

Also, anyone have an extra HKS 272 intake cam sitting around for a 97-99 DSM? or HKS cam gears??

Thanks everyone,

BAD LS1
06-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Yeah seems to be the hot new thing these days with motors blowin up... thats 3 people now from the baord with in 3 weeks. :headbang

twicks69
06-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Well, I decided to do a little binge buying for my car, and ended up blowing a shitload of money.

Wallet = empty -> Car = fast

Hmmmm....I like that --I guess I will just get used to being broke.

Ended up going with an Eagle/Ross combination, also picked up a new crank, an HKS 272 intake cam (still had 264/272 setup), HKS cam gears on order, and plenty of other fun pieces.

Anybody have an extra 2G AEM EMS sitting around?? or a 95 Eprom with DSM Link? or a GM 3" MAS with MAF translator for 2g?

I really need to get rid of my AFC and 2G MAS, and remove my current restrictions in the setup.

Junky Giorgio
06-12-2005, 01:47 AM
hmmmm...sounds like you got a nice set up going in...i went with the Ross/Eagle combo on my motor...can't complain...ya anyone have DSM LINK v2. as well??? i'm in need of one also... :crying

MY4RCDGSX
06-12-2005, 02:55 AM
Yet another one in line for DSMlink. Bah. :wstupid

Irish
06-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Well, I decided to do a little binge buying for my car, and ended up blowing a shitload of money.

Wallet = empty -> Car = fast

Hmmmm....I like that --I guess I will just get used to being broke.

Ended up going with an Eagle/Ross combination, also picked up a new crank, an HKS 272 intake cam (still had 264/272 setup), HKS cam gears on order, and plenty of other fun pieces.

Anybody have an extra 2G AEM EMS sitting around?? or a 95 Eprom with DSM Link? or a GM 3" MAS with MAF translator for 2g?

I really need to get rid of my AFC and 2G MAS, and remove my current restrictions in the setup.

No that your wallet is empty that makes you lighter. :thumbsup :rolf

twicks69
06-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Yeah, with my wallet on SlimFast, my ass will be much lighter.

Thankfully, my engine will also be receiving a little lightening....

I finally ordered a 7-bolt 4G64 "Butcher" 2.4L Stroker Crank from ffwdconnection.com goes from 44lbs to 37lbs.

Then 7-Bolt Eagle Rods...

Ross custom stroker .020" over 9.0:1 comp. pistons with ffwdconnections ceramic fluoropolymer dome coating and xylan skirt coating (Slugs of Brawn coating--S.O.B.)

Custom Clevite split thrust main bearings for a 99-spec block, and Clevite 77 rod bearings with ARP hardware for rod bolts and main studs.

Balance Shaft Elimination Kit, New front cover, oil pump, water pump, misc. gaskets, timing belt, etc.

Once the car is running and broken in, I will be changing over to the GM MAF with Translator (need to fabricate a new upper IC pipe between the BOV and TB elbow for the MAF), and hopefully an AEM EMS or DSMLink V2.0.

After break in, I intend on changing multiple things including a cage (probably Tom at OTE will be doing the fab work--his work is friggin fantastic!), seats, 3" seat belts, a bigger turbo, and maybe a little happy gas.

So, the itenerary is currently waiting on parts ranging from Monday to 3 weeks, pull my block, gut it, bore it, line hone and torque plate, balance the rotating assembly and rebuild. I may rebuild or replace drivetrain parts also--I am still waiting on Shep to sell his Dogbox.

Hopefully within 5 weeks (july 16th) it will be running and broken in before July 30th Import Drag Wars.

MY4RCDGSX
06-13-2005, 02:57 AM
sounds good Tim! :thumbsup You should talk Josh G. into actually bringing his car out of the garage, so that you can have another stroker to play with. :headbang

twicks69
06-13-2005, 09:43 AM
I am actually bringing Josh's car up to Green Bay this weekend (if it is running) to give it a good street tune on the DSMLink with Luke Stubbs from Beyond Redline. Then we will bring it either to Appleton to dyno it in 2wd mode, or will bring it down to Hiram and dyno in AWD mode.

It will be nice to see a stroker now sporting a PTE GT35R w/mitsu. housing put down some great numbers.

Yes, I cannot wait to have a little race against josh; I just need to get an EMS and a larger turbo--oh and that roll cage thing.

I am hoping that we can do 600 AWHP and 550 AWTQ with his car at moderate boost (~24psi).

BAD LS1
06-13-2005, 09:54 AM
Im looking at one of them liquid cooled wallets :thumbsup right now mine is air cooled and burned all the money out of it already :confused

Good luck with the new build, sounds like it should be pretty damn sweet :headbang

tsibred
06-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Tim let me know about the ems, otherwise I wish I had a DSMLINK V2, oh wait I do, and I'm busy using it.

twicks69
06-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I am hoping to pick one up from a guy right now--waiting on him to e-mail me back - only $800 new 2G EMS----it better not be sold already

fireguyrick
06-14-2005, 07:53 PM
I am actually bringing Josh's car up to Green Bay this weekend (if it is running) to give it a good street tune on the DSMLink with Luke Stubbs from Beyond Redline. Then we will bring it either to Appleton to dyno it in 2wd mode, or will bring it down to Hiram and dyno in AWD mode.

It will be nice to see a stroker now sporting a PTE GT35R w/mitsu. housing put down some great numbers.

Yes, I cannot wait to have a little race against josh; I just need to get an EMS and a larger turbo--oh and that roll cage thing.

I am hoping that we can do 600 AWHP and 550 AWTQ with his car at moderate boost (~24psi).

I am not familiar with DSMs, but isn't that starting to go beyond what a GT35R is able to make? I know of some guys in Puerto Rico that are making 719 awhp with a 25r on a built STi engine (May even be a 2.8ltr), and that is with a 150 shot. I know that with my STi with the 2.5 ltr stock block I am pushing 428awhp on 21 psi, and it is a overall conservative tune. That being said, I am probally going to take it back to my tuner for a conservative race gas map, where I think I can see 520ish awhp using around 26 psi. I suppose alot depends on the dyno though too. I was on a dynapack chasis dyno.

Rick

twicks69
06-15-2005, 07:04 AM
Well 600AWHP/550AWTQ is alot for a 2.0L, but Josh has a 2.4 stroker--we should see around 70hp and 100tq over the 2.0L with the same mods.

The GT35R he has is an AR.70 T04E cover that is rated to around 680hp.

It shouldn't be a problem.

Luke from Beyond Redline in Depere, WI just put down 558whp/478ish tq on 29psi, c16 on a conservative tune (low 11s:1 AFR's) with a smaller turbo;
a 60-1 with a T04 Exhaust housing. On a small 50 dry shot of nitrous, he put down over 620whp and 550tq.--the cooling properties of the nitrous gained efficiency before the TB, resulting in around a 75hp increase.

All of this was done on 6/3/05 at Extreme Performance Motorsports in Appleton, WI on a Windyn Superflow 2wd dyno.

Teufelhunden
06-15-2005, 09:10 PM

Are you talking about Josh G's car Tim? Just for the record no one has been holding Josh's hand during his build up. You make it sound like you have been. :confused

MY4RCDGSX
06-15-2005, 11:08 PM
I am not familiar with DSMs, but isn't that starting to go beyond what a GT35R is able to make? I know of some guys in Puerto Rico that are making 719 awhp with a 25r on a built STi engine (May even be a 2.8ltr), and that is with a 150 shot. I know that with my STi with the 2.5 ltr stock block I am pushing 428awhp on 21 psi, and it is a overall conservative tune. That being said, I am probally going to take it back to my tuner for a conservative race gas map, where I think I can see 520ish awhp using around 26 psi. I suppose alot depends on the dyno though too. I was on a dynapack chasis dyno.

Rick

When working at Top Street, we got 530hp/416ft-lbs of torque( :eek: ) out of the 2.4 stroker at a modest 22psi, no nitrous. It can be done... maybe not at 24psi, but it can be done. That was to the wheels, on a Dynojet (Michael's Performance.)

twicks69
06-16-2005, 05:18 PM
Scott - I help out Josh when he asks for it. We talk a good deal, and I give advice to him when it is called for.

It sounds like Josh is going to just go up to Beyond Redline tomorrow and get a descent street tune on, then he will get it dyno'd on a different day if there are no problems with the current setup.

UnderPSI
06-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Just wondering, not bashing by any means, I just Don't know. With that said, I thought everyone wanted the 6 bolt block, esp. with stick shift. Could you please explain.

Junky Giorgio
06-19-2005, 06:38 PM
yes tim, why are you building a 7 bolt.... :confused :alcoholic

twicks69
06-20-2005, 06:29 PM
Reasons for building a 7-bolt stroker:
1. I like being different--though sometimes stupid to do so; I want to defy mitsubishi engineering parameters for the 7-bolt in a crazy way.

2. Have you tried looking for new 6-bolt 2.4L knive-edged cranks lately?? Pratically non-existent. Hence using the 7-bolt "butcher" 2.4L crank.

3. late model 7-bolts have made some pretty high numbers out there--AMS alone has dyno'd a number of stock 7-bolts from 530-580awhp without problems.

4. 99-spec block. Updated girdle design, updated main bearing designs.

5. I am crazy...did I already mention that? :chair:

6. I am really not in the mood to purchase another clutch, flywheel, etc.

7. Cam/crank angle sensor issues are fairly common, unless you have EMS or DSMLink to fix the CEL.

8. I can salvage my block, saving me $$$ for other fun parts.

I pulled off the oil pan...oil is burnt and fuel contaminated (300 miles on oil). Brass shavings in oil. Oil pick up clogged with brass pieces. Oil passage clogged. Inspected rods, crank, and bearings= all look great. Inspected turbo, no shaft play, NO SPIN!! Thrust bearing failure. 2300miles on turbo. Send back to PTE, get it back, sell it and buy something different that will not be defective over and over again. Sorry PTE, excellent service, shipping, and communication, but low quality standards for initial product. THis is the third time I am shipping the turbo back to them in 2300 miles for repair. Defective wastegate upon purchasing the turbo-->returned. Boost creep and choke-->returned and re-ported. Worked good for ~2000miles then it decided to take a ****.

Oh well.

Cjburn
06-20-2005, 09:51 PM
To add a little spice to the convo. Dale from FRH says he can make a 7 bolt head actually flow more, and ultimately be a better head than the early large port. This would require big cash, but just his opinion and he just might know what he's talking about....

twicks69
06-20-2005, 11:20 PM
this has been known for many years--the benefits to the 2g head are mainly in the chamber dimensions and the angle and velocity of the intake ports on the 2g head. These ports are much more efficient than a 1g head.

The reason I have a 1g head is because I had an extra one lying around, and wanted to benefit by changing over to the 1g intake manifold and 1g throttle body easily with little fabrication.

Personally, if I did it over again, I would probably have kept the 2g head in there. But I have a 1g Magnus IM on there now, and I am definitely not going to send it back for a 2g and pay through the nose for a new one.

I am going to do some porting and massaging of the chambers on my 1g head, and will just keep it a "mild" port job; making sure that the porting is done properly for the lift and duration of my camshafts. I am also going to change over to 1mm oversize valves, since I will be pushing more air with the stroker motor, and don't want to create a restriction on the intake side.

UnderPSI
06-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the explination. :thumbsup And Good Luck.

Junky Giorgio
06-22-2005, 12:44 AM
well best of luck to you tim on your build...and i'll give you 10,000 miles on that 7bolt before the crank takes you out for walk with a 3ft. leash... :thumbsup

twicks69
06-23-2005, 11:24 AM
The leash won't be neccessary. The only thing that will be walking will be me when I am too broke to pay for these f**king crazy gas prices.

Hopefully it all goes together w/o too many problems. Currently, I am waiting on my Concept Racing MBCAD dowel kit for the mains. Unfortunately, it is severely backordered, and I think that I will just fabricate some at the machine shop.

The goal is to make sure that the crank will never take a walk on its own. I just hope that the Eagle rods hold up, and don't decide that they want to take a walk and make a window in the side of my block.

Thanks Tony, for the support and the predictions :thumbsup

Junky Giorgio
06-23-2005, 01:44 PM
no problem... :thumbsup but i hope all goes well...

Syclone0044
06-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Sorry PTE, excellent service, shipping, and communication, but low quality standards for initial product. Do you know if PTE releases compressor maps for any of their turbochargers?

If not.... :flipoff2: ------> PTE

Junky Giorgio
06-24-2005, 08:25 PM
try the {SEARCH} button....there are plenty compressor maps for PTE turbo's.... :wooo

Syclone0044
06-24-2005, 08:47 PM
Weird, I couldnt find any on their website www.precisionte.com and they have never released them that I've seen and when I asked a PTE dealer they said "they don't exist. PTE does not release compressor maps period. They don't want someone copying their work and selling it as their own".

I have a PT51 turbo, could you run it through whichever "{SEARCH}" you know of that has compressor maps and PM me? It would be much appreciated :thumbsup Thanks dude! (Hot signature BTW!!! :stare)

twicks69
06-27-2005, 06:23 PM
Precision turbo does have the compressor map for that turbo, you just have to ask for it nicely. There is no such thing as a turbo manufacturer that doesn't have compressor maps for the turbos that they build--if that was the case, why would you buy one of their turbos if you couldn't look at the compressor map to see if it would be useful for your desired application.

HP capable: 585 HP
Turbo model: PT51
1/4mi times: Low 11's
Stall convertor: 2800
Compressor wheel diameter: 44
Comp. wheel inducer: 2.290"
Comp. wheel exducer: 2.950"
Comp wheel trim: 60
Comp cover: T04E 3"inlet/2"outlet
Bearing style: 360 thrust bearing
Turbine housing A/R: NA
Turbine wheel style: T350
Turbine wheel inducer: 2.795"
Turbine wheel exducer: 2.338"
Wheel trim: 70

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbo/TurboMaps/t04e-60.gif

why don't you call Precision and explain to them why you should get the information.

TimZ

Syclone0044
06-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Fair enough, maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow.

When you have an unusual vehicle, this is the type of stuff you run into ALL the time. Pretty much only one vendor makes bolt on (Ha, right...) aftermarket turbos to fit in the tiny engine bay of my little Sonoma so we're kinda stuck with whatever they offer us, compressor maps or not. It's not like there's a bunch of turbocharger vendors clamoring for the business of all 2995 potential Syclone owners :-) To be honest I'm glad PTE even cast a custom housing for us to begin with.

twicks69
07-04-2005, 11:55 AM
The turbo has been sent back to PTE for replacement. Woohoo. The "brass shavings ended up being steel shavings.

No damage to the pistons, rings, rods or bearings--Just a little minor scuffing to cylinder walls 1 and 2. It looks like there was a little oil starvation as well as washing of the cylinder walls-= maybe a problem with my fuel pressure regulator.

UPDATE:

Well, nearly have all of the parts that I have been waiting on.

Waiting for: Crank, main bearings, pistons, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO w/gauge.

Picked up the EMS and the UEGO for a sweet deal from Horsepowerfreaks.com --Excellent service over there; I have dealt with them a few times before, and it was all A+ top notch work from their side of the fence. Will be seeing the AEM stuff on Tuesday.

Hopefully I will have the crank and pistons this week so I can finally finish up the machinework on the block.

twicks69
07-14-2005, 07:53 AM
Update for 7/14/05:

Received: AEM EMS, AEM UEGO w/gauge, HKS 272 intake cam, Evo oil filter housing, B&M Oil cooler and lines.

Waiting on:
PTE: Turbo (unknown--waiting on PTE)
Mach V: Concept Racing MBCAD main dowel kit (waiting on stock)
FFWD Connection: Crank, Pistons & rings, main bearings, balance shaft elimination kit. (will be seeing around 7/26)

Cylinder head is done, waiting on the components from MachV and FFWD so that I can machine the block and finish assembly.

Oh well, I will be overshooting my goal for the car being finished by 3-4 weeks. I guess that I will have to compete in the August 20th race instead of the July 30th race at GLD for Import Wars #5.

tsibred
07-14-2005, 04:55 PM
plus HKS cam gears and camshaft

Bee
07-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Tim: you are going balls out!!! NICE!!!

has TopStreet ran the DSM yet this year??? 9sec???

Teufelhunden
07-15-2005, 12:17 AM
they have a phone

twicks69
07-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Sorry Andy, I forgot to add in the cam and the HKS cam gears--

My Bad :chair:

I do not believe that Jake has run his car yet--Last time I spoke with him, he was waiting on his motor to be finished.

twicks69
08-02-2005, 09:30 AM
8/2/05 update:

Finally received my crank, pistons, bearings, and main studs -- now I have everything I needed to finish the rest of the machine work. Hell, I may have an engine assembled by the end of next week if everything goes well.

Things that I am waiting on:

PRECISION TURBO -- they still have my turbo nearly 6 weeks later. :mad:

I guess we will see on that.

Teufelhunden
08-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Who's doing your machine work? Are you assembling it?

Just my opinion...I think the main dowel kit is overkill. Again IMO, a rod or stroker piston will fail before you see your mains walk.

EDIT: I forgot you're building up your 7-bolt.:wooo ;) I'm ASSuming main dowel kit adds a little bit of insurance vs crankwalk. :alcoholic :thumbsup

Good luck Timmmaaaay.

twicks69
08-02-2005, 11:38 AM
yeah, I would rather overkill the 7-bolt than see the crank go for a long walk.

Personally, I hope that it doesn't fail at all, but I will definitely make sure that I keep my rpms low--like 8000 max, since I really don't want to have piston speeds exceeding 5200ft/min make a rod go bye bye.

I like windows, just not in my block.

The machine work is being done in Green Bay, WI at Baril Engine & Machine --Randy --.

The assembly will be done in DePere, WI at Beyond Redline by Luke Stubbs.

Thanks Scotty!

twicks69
08-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Turbo Received --

Was able to work with the guys over at Precision Turbo and upgraded my turbo a little :D

Went from the ol' SCM6031E, which was a 580hp capable T3/T4 with a 60-1 comp wheel, a T31 center cartridge, and a 76-trim exhaust in a 0.68 A/R turbine housing, and a T04E 3" comp. cover.

Changed to a nice little SCM6152 with T04S Ported Shroud cover, and a little extra port work. The 6152 is rated for around 650hp with this compressor cover. Other than that, it is a 61mm 56-trim comp wheel, a T350 center cartridge, a 76-trim exhaust wheel in a 0.63 A/R turbine housing with a T04S 4" Ported Shroud Compressor cover. Also got a little bridge porting work on the turbine housing inlet, and wastegate passage for better flow consistency.

I should be seeing full boost (25-30psi) around 3400-3600 rpms by going off the approximate spoolup of the turbo on a 2.0L, than calculating for a 15% increase in displacement for the 2.3L, and the 4% increase in compression to 9.0:1 from the old 8.5:1. 4200rpms*0.81=3406rpms.

Block is at the machine shop still; but will have it back this week to do the assembly. I will be going up there this weekend or on Monday-Tuesday to finish up assembly and install in the car if it all goes to plan.

Teufelhunden
08-15-2005, 08:24 AM
Turbo Received --

Was able to work with the guys over at Precision Turbo and upgraded my turbo a little :D

Went from the ol' SCM6031E, which was a 580hp capable T3/T4 with a 60-1 comp wheel, a T31 center cartridge, and a 76-trim exhaust in a 0.68 A/R turbine housing, and a T04E 3" comp. cover.

Changed to a nice little SCM6152 with T04S Ported Shroud cover, and a little extra port work. The 6152 is rated for around 650hp with this compressor cover. Other than that, it is a 61mm 56-trim comp wheel, a T350 center cartridge, a 76-trim exhaust wheel in a 0.63 A/R turbine housing with a T04S 4" Ported Shroud Compressor cover. Also got a little bridge porting work on the turbine housing inlet, and wastegate passage for better flow consistency.

I should be seeing full boost (25-30psi) around 3400-3600 rpms by going off the approximate spoolup of the turbo on a 2.0L, than calculating for a 15% increase in displacement for the 2.3L, and the 4% increase in compression to 9.0:1 from the old 8.5:1. 4200rpms*0.81=3406rpms.

Block is at the machine shop still; but will have it back this week to do the assembly. I will be going up there this weekend or on Monday-Tuesday to finish up assembly and install in the car if it all goes to plan.

Did I read that right? Internally gated? Wow.

Whats up with going with a 0.63 a/r turbine housing? Thats a lot of HP for a 0.63.

twicks69
08-15-2005, 09:11 AM
yeah, the 0.63 housing is the most that you can get the mitsu housing in, other than a custom housing -- $$$ more than I wanted to pay. I just hope that it doesn't become a major restriction. I believe that SBR uses the same turbine housing for their bolt on GT35R, and I know that Precision uses this housing on their bolt on GT35R also. Essentially, my turbo is a GT35R comp. wheel on a Garrett bigshaft with a stage 5 turbine wheel.

If it does become an issue, I will have Sam make up a 4-bolt 0.81 T3 flanged housing, then make a different o2 housing with a Tial 44mm v-band ext. wastegate. But that would cost around 600-700 more once everything is said and done. (housing change, 02 pipe, wastegate, dumptube, flanges and gaskets)

Brian and Patrick at PTE said that I shouldn't have any problems with it from a flow dynamics side, but it is always a trial of testing once you have the finished product. I think that I am going to talk to SBR, and Innovative for opinions from them. I also think that with the RPM's being limited to 8000rpms, I won't see the choke until after that rpm level on the turbine side.

Teufelhunden
08-15-2005, 09:18 AM
Thats a lot of HP for a 0.63. Like I'd know 'ey. :rolleyes::punch: My car is garage art.

twicks69
08-15-2005, 09:43 AM
Garage art?? How long has the 1G been out of commission? what do you have to work on?

Damn, are there going to be any DSM's at the K.O.T.H this year?

Teufelhunden
08-15-2005, 10:00 AM
I've had it out on the street four times since KOTH '04. Hasn't been washed since Oct '04...I'm going for that dirty whore look.

twicks69
08-15-2005, 11:24 AM
:rolf
nice
That is a true DSM look--atleast it doesn't have the other DSM quality...broken. DSM=broken dirty whore (unless it is kept stock, or you are really rich)

Teufelhunden
08-15-2005, 11:30 AM
:rolf
nice
That is a true DSM look--atleast it doesn't have the other DSM quality...broken. DSM=broken dirty whore (unless it is kept stock, or you are really rich)

Oh, it's broken too. :thumbsup

twicks69
09-15-2005, 06:02 AM
Update 9/15/05:

The car has been completed. We are turning it on today!!! :thumbsup Had a few delays, including a crank angle sensor that failed, and other little BS delays.

I will be breaking it in on the stock ecu, then switching over to EMS after next weekend.

Anyone need a 3" cast aluminum intake pipe for a 2G with the BOV recirculation tube??? I had to step up to a Forced Performance 4" intake pipe to fit on the T04S cover.

The car WILL be at the K.O.T.H. dinner on 9/23/05 at Pallas Restaraunt at 5pm.

twicks69
09-16-2005, 02:12 PM
The car is running and being broken in! Feels excellent, and has no problems as of 100 miles. Will be broken in by Sunday. I am travelling down to Joliet for Battle of the Imports on Saturday, and will be ready to boost a little.

Will do a little dyno tuning this week to get it dialed in on low boost with the AFC for import wars on the 25th. Then after the race the EMS goes in.

The car will be out this evening, and I will definitely be stopping down at Oscars with it!

See you all tonight

Syclone0044
09-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Congrats on getting it on the road!!! :thumbsup

jbiscuit
09-16-2005, 03:37 PM
:wooo
how much "low boost" do you plan to run?

twicks69
09-17-2005, 01:15 AM
low boost for break in was around 1-4psi throttle blips to 30% throttle up to a max of 3000rpms.

Breakin has 280miles on it as of midnight. Will be getting 200 more miles on it tomorrow.

Boosted to around 14psi just before I put it away tonight. 2000rpms=3-4psi
3000rpms=14-15psi.

Haven't pushed it past that yet. Still adjusting the fuel trims to accomodate that.

"Low" boost will be 20-22psi when it is broken in.
"High" boost will be around 30psi on 110 for now, until I change the injectors and fuel pump and lines. Then with the AEM EMS and all the dialing in on the dyno, I will be shooting for around 34-35psi on C16.

Pulls like a sonuvabiatch even to 4000rpms. FEELS GRREEAATT!! :thumbsup

I will post on Sunday when I get back from Battle of the Imports at Joliet.

Junky Giorgio
09-18-2005, 09:41 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :thumbsup

Teufelhunden
09-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Sounds fun! Can't wait to hear what your pump gas boost numbers are. :thumbsup

twicks69
09-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Sounds fun! Can't wait to hear what your pump gas boost numbers are. :thumbsup

I got one run in this weekend.

14-15psi (1 bar) on pump gas running rich from 5000-7600rpms (below 11.0:1 afr's):::
27psi tire pressures, launch with wheel hop, then bog....

60' 1.808
330' 5.071
1/8 7.717
MPH 95.39
1/4 11.914
MPH 118.71

So not bad... It has a ton of power left in it, and you can see from the 1/8 to the 1/4 mph's, that I was really suffering in the top end from running so rich.

My old best on 27psi and race gas with the old turbo and motor:

5/29/2005
60' 1.589
330' 4.897
1/8 7.634
MPH 93.950
1/4 11.582
MPH 122.642

quite a difference! :thumbsup

Bee
09-19-2005, 10:35 AM
:thumbsup

Teufelhunden
09-19-2005, 03:37 PM
I got one run in this weekend.

14-15psi (1 bar) on pump gas running rich from 5000-7600rpms (below 11.0:1 afr's):::
27psi tire pressures, launch with wheel hop, then bog....

60' 1.808
330' 5.071
1/8 7.717
MPH 95.39
1/4 11.914
MPH 118.71

Great time Timmy. What tires are you running and what tires are you switching to? ;) I'm glad to see someone's hard work with a DSM starting to payoff. :thumbsup

EDIT: First pass with the new setup too! You've got perma-grin don't you? :D

twicks69
09-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Perma **** eating grin ear to ear! Heck, I haven't even gotten into the efficiency of the turbo yet, or really used the cams yet.

I still have the Hakkapellitta Q's on it for the upcoming few weeks.

I do have a set of Nitto 555R drag radials in the discontinued size of 225/50-16. Brand new set that was sitting in inventory for the last few years. So, they will be going on the car probably next weekend or the week after.

I will be also going up to Appleton next weekend to install the AEM EMS, 3.5 bar MAP, GM IAT sensor, and GM boost solenoid onto the vehicle, and will be removing the factory MAF. After installation, Saturday and Sunday will be on the dyno the entire time getting in a good tune on 93 and 110 octane at low boost (1 bar), and high boost (2.2 bar). We also still need to dial in the cam gears, and a crapload of tuning time for the anti-lag and the 2-step.

I still have to install the 1000cc injectors, and change the fuel lines to support the fuel requirements. Along with a roll cage installation (winter), scattershield and driveshaft/transfer case upgrade (winter), poly bushings throughout the car (winter also), and change the suspension a little.

We calculated LOW BOOST to be around 490 at the wheels using drag calculators from using the 1/8th mile MPH to approximate the rough tune since it was falling off at the higher RPM's due to the MAF being overloaded, and the rich tune.

I will be racing at GLD on Sunday for Import Drag Wars #6, and will continue running low boost, since with a good launch and a better tune on this temporary setup, I should easily be able to do 125MPH traps and do very low 11's.

The goal for this weekend is to do 1.4-1.5 second 60' times, as well as the low 11/125mph trap on this low boost setup. I might also do a couple fun passes after the competition in high boost. But since there is no cage in the car, I will be stuck running 11.49's or slower for the competition itself.

K.O.T.H. will be HIGH boost if it all goes to plan!

KellY
09-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Timmy when were u planning on coming up to the dyno again....i forgot when u told me.

twicks69
09-28-2005, 08:27 AM
Friday October 7th, I will be up in Appleton installing the AEM EMS and associated sensors. I will be at your shop in the early morning of Saturday October 8th for tune in runs. Give me a call - 414-839-8250

Thanks,

twicks69
10-10-2005, 12:34 AM
Well, back from the dyno....!

We had a few snags along the way on Saturday, and I have exceeded the limits of the internal wastegate, and my 780cc injectors.

I just ordered a new setup including wastegate, O2 housing, and injectors.

Limiting factors:

I put on my new HUGE K&N air filter w/o the MAF, and my boost creeped from the boost controller level of 23psi, all the way to 35psi. I had to put the old MAF and small filter on just to complete the runs at a controllable boost level.
I did see nearly 800rpms quicker spoolup w/ the large air filter, and was boosting 23psi with creep to 26psi w/ the small filter. Boost creep started at 23psi @ 5200rpms, and hit 26psi @ 6700rpms.

Also, my injectors were at 90% duty cycle at 23-26psi boost levels.

Also, Luke Stubbs and I tuned it EXTREMELY conservative for the current duration, until we fix the wastegate and fuel issues.

I am only running 6-7 degrees advanced timing. Not 23-27 degrees like we wanted to. I have not touched the adj. cam gears yet, along with alot of other details like the anti-lag and the 2-step. I am not sure if I will be able to get these details done by the K.O.T.H. race, since it is only 2 weeks away now.

the results:

DYNO-TUNING DONE AT EXTREME PERFORMANCE MOTORSPORTS - Greenville, WI, on a WinDyn Superflow 2-wheel dual eddy current dyno.
ECU-TUNING DONE BY LUKE STUBBS FROM BEYOND REDLINE PERFORMANCE - DePere, WI.

All runs were only done to 7000rpms since the cam gears need to be tuned in (still at 0 degrees on in. and ex. cams).

At 4 degrees advanced timing with AFR's 11.8 (3100rpms) richening to 10.8 (7000rpms) at 23-26psi on Rocket 110 Leaded gas, zero knock...
352.1 HP/320 TQ ---only at 4 degrees advanced timing.

At 7 degrees advanced timing with AFR's the same as above ranging from 11.8-10.8 at the same boost levels 23-26psi, same gas, same knock levels...
403.2 HP @5864rpms ...HP was above 300 from 4700rpms to 7000rpms
379.9 TQ @5315rpms ...torque was above 300 from 4500-6700roms

3 degrees of timing netted 51HP and 60 Torque. Freaking crazy fast revving motor also--sounds extremely pissed off when you get into boost.

Luke and I believe that the car will EASILY be able to make 600+HP @ the wheels no problem. The car has only seen around 2 hours of real tuning, after all the initial start up. So, by the end of the week, I will have the O2 setup changed, and after the Import Drag Wars race, I am hoping to have the injectors put in, and retune the car for some real numbers!

I will be wiring in the wideband directly to the EMS tomorrow, along with the clutch switch for the 2-step. I also got my drag radials, and need some VHT to soften up the tires this week before the races.

Well, I look forward to getting to a scanner so I can show you all the dyno graph.

twicks69
10-10-2005, 01:08 AM
http://groups.msn.com/DSMShrine/shoebox.msnw

Pics are updated.

Dyno sheet:

1fastsol
10-10-2005, 08:16 AM
well that's a good start!

jbiscuit
10-10-2005, 08:35 AM
great start....I still would have thought even without a lot of timing in it your numbers would be a bit higher but you can tune from there!

Bee
10-11-2005, 12:27 AM
how much POWER do you need to hit 10sec??? Just curious!!! 600whp???

Max out 3bar and you'll be in that neighborhood!!!

A recent street car that I have tuned netted slightly over 600whp@29psi...1.7L DOHC VTEC setup with a small turbo..hehe :goof

twicks69
10-11-2005, 06:14 AM
Well, considering that we have around 16-20 degrees of timing to still advance along with adjusting the cam gears for optimal levels, adding the 1000cc injectors, installing the large intake assembly without the MAF restriction, adding the external wastegate, adding drag radials....

You have to recognize that 400HP at 7degrees of timing is nothing. The car is built for high HP and high boost--it will be seeing both. Remember...3 degrees of timing advancement gained 60HP--and there is only 2 hours in on a completely different beast of a car with the EMS. It should have no problems running 11's at this HP level, and next week I will have the 1000cc injectors in the car. The wastegate and intake application will be on for Sunday.

Alot of tuning is still to come in the future. But there is a pretty good chance that it will not be to its potential for the KOTH race -- there simply is not enough time.

twicks69
10-11-2005, 06:56 PM
476HP @ wheels can "potentially" make a 10 second car.

I'll make a "little" more than that so I have no doubts. :thumbsup

Teufelhunden
10-12-2005, 08:22 AM
1.7L DOHC VTEC setup with a small turbo..hehe :goofI hope you weren't knocking Tim's setup. His sh1t is still all bolt on. Stock exhaust manifold with a bolt on turbo. t3/t4 hybrid = a small turbo now a days.

Good numbers Tim. :)

twicks69
10-12-2005, 06:34 PM
I hope you weren't knocking Tim's setup. His sh1t is still all bolt on. Stock exhaust manifold with a bolt on turbo. t3/t4 hybrid = a small turbo now a days.

Good numbers Tim. :)

Thanks Scott!

Here is a pic of the buildup (stock exhaust manifold/1G unported head w/stock size valves)
http://groups.msn.com/DSMShrine/mycar.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=175

Here is a simple engine bay pic.
http://groups.msn.com/DSMShrine/mycar.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=184

1fastsol
10-12-2005, 08:08 PM
you can make lots of power with that turbo with stock manifold or not. who drill the vent holes for you are did you buy them that way? nice it helps preventing boost creep. good luck! i would still like to run you when your ready. just a frendly race! nothing more. just want to see how you car runs.

twicks69
10-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks Sol --

I purchased the turbo from Precision with the anti-surge porting already done to it.

I would also be happy to give you a race when the car is done. Just have to work out a couple little bugs, and retune it for FUN boost levels.

Does anyone out there know where I could get my drag radials swapped onto my rims for a good deal?? They would of course need to be rebalanced. Big Bear wants $60 for it to be done.

1fastsol
10-13-2005, 07:19 AM
nice to see you can buy the turbos that way now. I have a frend who modifys turbos like that. here is a like. check it out. he also is the guy that did my turbo work and you see in the avaitor.
http://o2induction.com/
when your ready let me know.
also first rate auto can do your tire swap for a go price. 774-3738 ask for robert and tell parnell sent you. him will hook you up with a great price. better than big bear.

WilliamZ
10-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Does anyone out there know where I could get my drag radials swapped onto my rims for a good deal?? They would of course need to be rebalanced. Big Bear wants $60 for it to be done.

I wouldn't take mine anywhere else..

jbiscuit
10-13-2005, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't take mine anywhere else..

:) another vote for Big Bear

Teufelhunden
10-13-2005, 09:28 AM
$60 is a decent price Tim. Most places charge $20 per rim. Go to Big Bear.

EVIL AWD
10-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Yet another vote here for Big Bear. :thumbsup

twicks69
10-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Yeah...Survey says.....Big Bear it is. I will have to get over there next week sometime--this week is already gone... :mad:

twicks69
10-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Well, got the injectors and the Ext. Wastegate setup today. Here's a Pic:

Anyone want my old O2 Housing?? How about my Denso O2 sensors (2 of them). Oh well, worth asking....

I will be going back up to Extreme Performance Motorsports next Friday to redyno the car for the bigger injectors, and this time without boost creep. Hopefully I can get a good tune on it for Saturday's race.

nismodave
10-15-2005, 01:44 AM
Will that fit a SR20DET?? LOL

Nice #s man......Kick some Domestic a$$ on the 22nd.

turbogarrett
10-15-2005, 08:43 AM
$60 is a decent price Tim. Most places charge $20 per rim. Go to Big Bear.

Plus big bear will not damage your wheels like the douche bags at f+f or tenley's. What no more snow tires Timmay?

1fastsol
10-15-2005, 10:17 AM
looks like the same gate i have. very nice. keep up the good work! :headbang

twicks69
10-15-2005, 09:05 PM
What no more snow tires Timmay?

Well, I decided to keep the snow tires for this season. I just cannot justify spending 60 to put the tires on, then another 60 to take them off again a week later. So, I will get some VHT softening compound, and get them prepped for next year.

twicks69
10-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Oh well, so much for competing in the KOTH this year.

Blew up the 3rd-4th gear setup in my tranny on the second test/tune pass on Sunday at GLD. Will be taken care of this winter. :crying

Accepting monetary or parts donations, letters of sympathy, snickers of Nelson-like laughter "HAAH HA!", etc.

Oh well...It would have broken otherwise at KOTH if it didn't break beforehand. Got through 1st, shifted fine into 2nd, shifted into 3rd at only 7000rpms, KABOOM!!! at 5500rpms in 3rd gear. Then shifter flings back into neutral, and I cannot shift into anything--binding up in the tranny. Not bad 1.62 60', broken by the 330': 4.912 sec.
1/8 mile at 50 somthing MPH, and the 1/4 mile at like 30 somthing MPH.

Towed off the track: free.
Didn't explode the transmisison case: PRICELESS (actually around $3200 saved)
Talked to Shep this morning for a while, and he'll be taking a look at it in the next few weeks to see what the damage is.

If it is minimal damage, I will be repairing the tranny and moving on. (I need to replace at least the 3rd/4th shift rail, shift fork, gears, hub and sleeve, synchros, shift rail end, bearings, snap rings, keys and springs. That is the bare minimum -- and I am expecting it to be MUCH more than that, what recieved damage from the failure. I am just hoping it did not grenade into my differentials or the ring & pinion.

If it is greater than $3500 in repairs, I will be going with either an IPT 4-speed air-shifter Automatic Transmission conversion ($3200+/-), or with a Shep DOG BOX (Yes, they are now here for the public as of this week)($$approx $4500 or so).

jbiscuit
10-18-2005, 08:01 AM
sorry to hear you nuked the trans...was looking forward to watching the car run at KOTH this year.

Syclone0044
10-18-2005, 12:30 PM
You have my sympathies!! Since mine broke a month or so ago and now yours just broke, I'll see if I can't pull together to "pick up the AWD torch", as it were.. :shades