PDA

View Full Version : Hooker Comp Headers Bad?

GHOSST
06-01-2005, 08:43 AM
My car was recently fixed by a shop who pointed out that I had a bad header leak, well, I purchased some new headers on account that my old ones dont fit my car. So I buy some Hooker Super Comp L/T headers, and the shop installs them at the end of fixing my car, and they say there bad headers. For these reasons.

1. The second header bolt going from front to back on the passenger side is so close to the tube, it can't be properly torqued.
2. The Y-pipe setup is no good, its causing tention on the passenger side so bad that he couldn't even bolt it to the header with the gasket, and its kinda causing the the header on the driver side to rub against the body.
3. Driver side header burnt my cruise control wire, so they had to zip tie it to the brake lines coming from the master cylinder, or it would just sit there right on the header.

The shop showed me all this, with the car lifted. Well, here's the problem now. My Y-pipe is hella loose, and it sounds like a peice of paper on back of a fan :thumbsup, Soot can be seen were it leaks. Well, I just simply asked if they could tighten it up (I need it to hold for a couple months until I get my Duals), because my work is warrantied for one year for everything they did, hell, better them to just do it, for what I paid, (but I got no prob doin it myself)). Well the mechanic starts bitchin at me how those headers are bad, its my fault I got cheap headers, and there's nothing he can really do. So, are Hooker Headers bad??? Did I buy the wrong header that I was recommended too? The L/T's? Any help is greatly appreciated.

WilliamZ
06-01-2005, 08:50 AM
I have Hooker Coated LTs and I like them a lot. I had some banging from the y-pipe but that got fixed with a y-pipe mount. I do not have problems with leaks. I don't have any experience with LT-1s though..

BAD LS1
06-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Love my hooker super comps, on my second set now :headbang

Crawlin
06-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Stupid LT1's with the standard SBC exhaust pattern. Hahaha. I had a set of Hooker LT's as well on my LS1 car. I know what you are talking about with the bolt problem, cause i've seen it on other LT1 cars even with different vendor.

Chris

UnderPSI
06-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Mine work great......when the car is running.

GHOSST
06-01-2005, 07:14 PM
This is what I thought, he said I bought cheap bad headers... ($600 Ceramic coated) :( :(

Car Guy
06-01-2005, 10:56 PM
I personally have not had much luck with Hooker Headers, and the customer support is terrible. Bought a set for a BBC and they fit like $h*t, however when I ordered them I was told they would fit perfect (yeah right). Not to mention it sounds like a lifter tick or something becasue they leak like a screen door on a submarine. Don't know if I'd buy Hooker again and yes I spent $600+ on my coated set also......