PDA

View Full Version : Can you reccommend any local dynos?

BLUTO
05-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Im looking for a place that can log my A/F's w/sniffer. Any suggestions w/ prices?

theavenger333
05-27-2005, 08:36 PM
there have been a ton of threads regarding Dynos in this area.... try searching

BLUTO
05-27-2005, 08:54 PM
there have been a ton of threads regarding Dynos in this area.... try searching

THANKS. Im looking for recent experiences at local places-not old search results.

theavenger333
05-28-2005, 02:36 AM
and the difference between people's opinions a month ago or more are different than now? if someone's opinion has changed, or if theres ever been a problem somewhere there would be a thread on it.... Michels Performance, theres one in waukesha, i think KMS its called

SRT4ME
05-28-2005, 05:35 AM
Im looking for a place that can log my A/F's w/sniffer. Any suggestions w/ prices?

K J Auto
Mustang Dyno
401 E. Wilmont Dr.
Waukesha, WI 53189
262-522-6663

AND it's an all-wheel drive dyno, too.(Don't know what u drive) Only AWD dyno around here as far as I know. They have fair prices from what I've heard.
The only reason I know about the place is because my good friend is a dyno tech there. Ask for him, Branden Fischer. Tell him Jason (srt4me) sent u. He'll take care of ya. :thumbsup

srt4eh
05-28-2005, 07:33 AM
yep.....thats a good place :thumbsup

BLUTO
05-28-2005, 09:22 AM
and the difference between people's opinions a month ago or more are different than now? if someone's opinion has changed, or if theres ever been a problem somewhere there would be a thread on it.... Michels Performance, theres one in waukesha, i think KMS its called

People try new places, prices change, etc. Thanks for the lead, any others?I dont need an awd dyno, see sig. I dont even care what #'s I put down-I allready know its fast. I just want to see if my A/F's are where they need to be. These trucks like to vent blocks if they go lean-no knock sensors.

SRT4ME
05-28-2005, 09:27 AM
People try new places, prices change, etc. Thanks for the lead, any others?I dont need an awd dyno, see sig. I dont even care what #'s I put down-I allready know its fast. I just want to see if my A/F's are where they need to be. These trucks like to vent blocks if they go lean-no knock sensors.

UMMM, yeah. Your car doesn't NEED to be awd to use their dyno. :durr
And they have what you're looking for. Call and see if u don't believe me. I'm not gonna post prices up or anything, u can just call and find out for yourself.
-Jason

animal
05-30-2005, 10:47 AM
I just want to see if my A/F's are where they need to be. These trucks like to vent blocks if they go lean-no knock sensors.

Just remember that the a/f sniffer won't be accurate if it's behind the cats.

jon_we4
05-31-2005, 09:51 AM
Just remember that the a/f sniffer won't be accurate if it's behind the cats.

Especially at WOT you are not having a catalyic reaction and the A/F difference from the header collector to the tailpipe is very small. Because its on a dyno and not on the street it's a tenth or two off just because of the load difference.

I shoot for a flat 11.7 when I'm tuning Lightnings and as long as it doesnt go about 12.0 I consider it safe for the street.

animal
05-31-2005, 10:15 AM
Especially at WOT you are not having a catalyic reaction and the A/F difference from the header collector to the tailpipe is very small. Because its on a dyno and not on the street it's a tenth or two off just because of the load difference.

I shoot for a flat 11.7 when I'm tuning Lightnings and as long as it doesnt go about 12.0 I consider it safe for the street.

I've never heard that before... in fact most dyno tuners have posted on the subject that it can be up to a whole number difference in a/f on the dyno with a tailpipe sniffer on a lightning. I can't imagine they are talking about anything other than WOT tuning as well.

That said I am not a tuner, so I can't verify that either way, but I will look into your claims for my own information. That said I run a wideband before the cats.

Bluto, I do still have those catless offroad pipes for sale if you'd like them just for dyno tuning purposes to take out all the guesswork. PM me if u want em.

jon_we4
05-31-2005, 05:37 PM
At the CFM the motor is pushing you wont have a catalytic reaction that will affect the a/f. I have the technical answer from the guys at random tech cats but not infront of me with the chemical reactions that take place and all. However even with cars that have widebands in them, they usually are within tenths of of the tailpipe wideband.

Any difference would be in the calibrations or if there is a problem with the cats. To be honest there is probably more of a difference for a lightning because of the load on the street. All these differences a difference in the a/f measurable in tenths of a point.

BLUTO
05-31-2005, 05:45 PM
Have to go w/Dave on this one. Every tuner Ive talked to has seen .5 leaner at the tailpipe, and shoot for 12.4ish. D, does your wideband datalog? Im undecided about dropping $400 on wideband or $100 to dyno every time I change my combo. i dont want the catless pipes (too loud),, but am seriously thinking about welding on some whistle-tips.

animal
05-31-2005, 08:15 PM
but am seriously thinking about welding on some whistle-tips.

Good god man why? :)

My wideband datalogs with a laptop in the truck... but only a/f and rpm. For the record I haven't used it yet, have to install it this weekend but I am optimistic based on seeing another one of the same brand.

Yooformula
05-31-2005, 11:06 PM
Have to go w/Dave on this one. Every tuner Ive talked to has seen .5 leaner at the tailpipe, and shoot for 12.4ish. D, does your wideband datalog? Im undecided about dropping $400 on wideband or $100 to dyno every time I change my combo. i dont want the catless pipes (too loud),, but am seriously thinking about welding on some whistle-tips.

Bluto, Jon works for Speed Inc, where I believe they work on Lightnings too so i might at least give em a call to hear some more. :thumbsup

UnderPSI
05-31-2005, 11:27 PM
Yea, They do Great work there and I Highly recomend them :thumbsup They do alot with the SVT vehicles as well as the GM's. Every tune I have got from them worked perfect. It is worth a call at least.

jon_we4
05-31-2005, 11:50 PM
Have to go w/Dave on this one. Every tuner Ive talked to has seen .5 leaner at the tailpipe, and shoot for 12.4ish. D, does your wideband datalog?

I would never shoot for that A/F with a Lightning. I guess you'll have to find out yourself.

Just so everyone knows Jim, INTMD8, does not do our SVT tuning.... I do :) learned from the best, been doing it for 2 or so years now and I've gone as far as 550 RWHP w/ 93 octane on a Lightning and 586 RWHP w/93 octane on a Cobra. I say 93 octane because I dont recall the boost levels, both where with twin screw blowers and at a very reasonable boost level. I realize with more boost and octane you can get more HP.

RWTD
06-01-2005, 12:10 AM
I have found as little as 0 to .1 difference between a tailpipe sniffer and a in-style bung sensor, both being the Dynojet wideband for use with the Dynojet dynos. When comparing a Dynojet dyno wideband versus the Dynojet WBC, I have seen 0 to .1 differences on average, too. Here's a link to a post that Dynojet's VP of Sales, Dan H. made on ModularFords.com representing his experiences with the Dynojet dyno wideband (in the sniffer orientation) versus a Dynojet WBC in the bung:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?p=175066#post175066

Also, when comparing post or pre-cat, I have seen between 0 and .1 differences. Converters are rarely effective at chemically altering the exhaust flow at WOT. They are designed to function most effectively at approx. 14.7 a/f. When I have seen major differences this generally lets me realize that there are issues with the sensor itself, and/or the cats.

I hope this helps!

James

PARALYZER
06-01-2005, 07:20 AM
DAMN JAMES!!! You found my home site!!! Welcome. This dude is my tuner.

animal
06-01-2005, 08:52 AM
I was not expecting rwtd to post here... what a surprise. :wow :wow

Like I said I'm not a tuner but I've never heard any of that before. Obviously you guys know more than i do though.

So does this hold true for all cars?

BLUTO
06-01-2005, 09:29 AM
I copied this from another thread where another reputable tuner said,,tailpipe A/F's can be .5- 1.0 leaner than the vehicle is actually running, so if your 11.8 with a tailpipe sniffer, I would bet that your 11.0 or richer and are missing out on even more power. Only way to find out is on a real dyno with a wideband.

JJ@WMS

Others w/widebands have found that their A/F's were real close on the dyno. I think alot of it has to do w/ calibration of the exh. sniffer prior to testing.

jon_we4
06-01-2005, 10:07 AM
So does this hold true for all cars?

I would say there are always exceptions. If everything is working properly the goal of both sensor locations is to give accurate readings.

I was talking to James and asked him what his own results were and what else he has seen on the subject, I just asked him to come in and make a post.

I copied this from another thread where another reputable tuner said,,tailpipe A/F's can be .5- 1.0 leaner than the vehicle is actually running, so if your 11.8 with a tailpipe sniffer, I would bet that your 11.0 or richer and are missing out on even more power. Only way to find out is on a real dyno with a wideband.

Some people think the trucks will run .5 leaner on the street because of the weight/load difference (again its not really that much). What I am saying is the few tenths richer the truck is really running will be washed out by the few tenths the truck will be running lean on the street. Pretty much that it doesnt matter.

RWTD
06-01-2005, 12:55 PM
John brought up a good point here, and he's right. There is a difference between load, as in weight, and calculated load as in volumetric efficiency. Calculated load is not affected by weight of a vehicle. It's a measurement of air, no more, no less, and it's dependent on the MAF. The MAF is the heart/brains of a vehicle, and load is an attribute of it.

Regardless of weight on the street, or simulated weight on the dyno, as long as the vehicle stays within the same calculated load ranges you should see the exact same power and fueling. Another way of putting it, there should be no direct difference on the a/f since it is directly dependent on the air entering the engine.

I have done extensive load testing on my new Dynojet 224xLC with multiple vehicles (GM, Ford, Toyota, etc.), and I have found absolutely no negligible differences in a/f between internia only or loaded. Nor have I found any differences in power (unless of course there is lag on spool up due to not enough inertia weight to properly load the turbo or s/c engine up).

Sincerely,

James

BAD LS1
06-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Whats the deal with those mustang dynos? We went and watched at KJ auto a few weeks back and there was some really piss poor #s coming out of cars you absolutley know they make more than what the dyno is claiming.

a 99' C5 made 238 at the wheels with all the basic bolt ons and through a 6 speed??? the owner was livid! that car should be right around the 300 mark w/o any doubt on a dynojet.

Plus they had no exhaust outlets or ventilation... and they were running a big smokey Duramax on it :wooo :rolf I think that was the most powerful thing of the day on that dnyo, and im sure that guy was see far less than actual.

They are a totally diff type of dyno i know, but still they should be within a few percent ofa dynojet you would assume?