PDA

View Full Version : The aftermath...

BAD LS1
05-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Well i got the engine out last night and i got much more, better pics with a digi cam ill get up tonight. These are from my camera phone.

But the head gasket was deff blown, the head was spared, bu the block,sleeve is cracked in two diff locations, one of which you can really se in the first pic, and basicaly the other crack is on the exact oppostie side of where that crack is. The splits run the entire length stroke.

So its time with something a cast iron block i think :goof
It cracked on the thrust side so the piston slap may have something to do with this, but i got almost 40K miles out of this motor and it was a real soldier it took a MAJOR beating since day one.

Enjoy:

http://img90.echo.cx/img90/4809/image0111ui.jpg

http://img90.echo.cx/img90/8245/image0173ru.jpg

http://img90.echo.cx/img90/4188/image0192ss.jpg

GTSLOW
05-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Well i got the engine out last night and i got much more, better pics with a digi cam ill get up tonight. These are from my camera phone.

But the head gasket was deff blown, the head was spared, bu the block,sleeve is cracked in two diff locations, one of which you can really se in the first pic, and basicaly the other crack is on the exact oppostie side of where that crack is. The splits run the entire length stroke.

So its time with something a cast iron block i think :goof
It cracked on the thrust side so the piston slap may have something to do with this, but i got almost 40K miles out of this motor and it was a real soldier it took a MAJOR beating since day one.

Enjoy:

http://img90.echo.cx/img90/4809/image0111ui.jpg

http://img90.echo.cx/img90/8245/image0173ru.jpg

http://img90.echo.cx/img90/4188/image0192ss.jpg

Looks wicked! Nice job :thumbsup

So what was exactly taking place when she died? 200 shot highway runs?

BAD LS1
05-26-2005, 08:25 AM
No sign of detonation anywhere! my tune up looked good, that piston deff wasnt burnt:rock: The chunk of piston went out the exhaust, no where to be found.

But it was a 200 dry shot with methanol injection, Couple people got a ride in it on sunday when i was using up the bottle.

It WAS pretty damn quick :stare

But insane cylinder pressure... the alluminum block couldnt handle...

jbiscuit
05-26-2005, 08:31 AM
:stare

I leave for a few days and now this?

Crawlin
05-26-2005, 08:32 AM
but the aluminum block has handled 300-400 shots?

or do you think it was just the combination that did it since it was a stock head and maybe not THE best nitrous cam in the world

BAD LS1
05-26-2005, 08:45 AM
Could have been several things, or a stack up.

The pistons thrust is on that side where the crack it, (piston slap) it could have played a part in punching it out... could have been the head bolts loosened some... who knows...

Im affraid of the same thing happening if i bought a speed inc 348 short block with forged internals.

I want something i can get away with stock heads again. As you can see in the pic, there is no combo chamber work done, still got the extra wad of material around the spark plug area very much the stock heads ;)

The cam was great for nitrous IMO, it made explosive power and it was a split duration with more exhaust over lap like whats desired.

Plain and simple it found the weak point... im sure it could have handled a 3-400 shot... not for long though... Look at the BMR GTO they sprayed that with a 300 wet shot it lasted a few track passes and went 10.90s on the stock cam in a 4,000 car :headbang But then it burnt a hole in one of the pistons... Asking for that kinda power out of a stock anything, something is gonna give... that spec stage 3 ceramic clutch was even slipping a bit :stare

Crawlin
05-26-2005, 09:37 AM
i had forgotten what cam you have, ignore that statement....

there's a lot of people running some decent shots on the stock aluminum blocks, you know that. ALOT of people with built shortblocks spraying 200-300, and you've seen the numbers they produce. maybe with the tighter clearances of a built motor it will be less prone to having that happen. Did you find that piece of piston above the piston, or do you think you'll find it in the oil pan? or did it just get shot out of the exhaust? don't see how it could make it to the oil pan, but who knows. is that your stock LS6 block or did you get a different one?

BAD LS1
05-26-2005, 09:47 AM
i had forgotten what cam you have, ignore that statement....

there's a lot of people running some decent shots on the stock aluminum blocks, you know that. ALOT of people with built shortblocks spraying 200-300, and you've seen the numbers they produce. maybe with the tighter clearances of a built motor it will be less prone to having that happen. Did you find that piece of piston above the piston, or do you think you'll find it in the oil pan? or did it just get shot out of the exhaust? don't see how it could make it to the oil pan, but who knows. is that your stock LS6 block or did you get a different one?

No the piece was no where to be found :confused it must have went out the exauhst LOL The cheapest and quickest way back to running would be for me to get a 348 sportsman s/b from speed....

Yeah it was the factory stock LS6 block :( I guess i can lay a piece of glass on top of it and make a coffee table out if it now :rolf

The it was pretty funny last night,,, im working on it... got 94.1 wjjo playing... and someone called in and requested 12 stones "Broken" right when i got the head off :goof what an appropriate song ;)

Crawlin
05-26-2005, 11:15 AM
no iron block stroker or LS2 stroker for just a bit more? that would end up being pretty cheap since you really don't have a "core" to give, know what i mean?

Chris

BAD LS1
05-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Yeah for another 600... prolly just do a iron block 402 like i originally had planned. well i gotta start socking moeny away, ill be able to save now that i took the insurance off it for now and im not putting gas in it. It will accumulate quick... but not before the end of summer.

I dont care about the extra weight... ill just up the HP shot hahahahha that super pro shot noid flows 400 :shades

but that Parish guy with that turbo silverado has a 408 in that thing with stock 6.0 heads. im not gonna spend the coin on aftermarket heads unless i get one hell of a deal on a set... im sure you seen all the posts on ls1tech about people being dissapointd in gains from all head mfgs.... So if i can use a set of stock 6.0 LQ4 truck heads or even my stocker ls1's ill leave that 30 hp on the table.

Crawlin
05-26-2005, 12:00 PM
yep, which is why the new motor over the winter will NOT be a set of GM manufacturered heads ported by any company. Set of aftermarket castings that have shown to be REAL good under boost conditions.

Do the simple 402 stroker and be done with it.

Atleast after making fun of me for not having a car out for so long, you know understand the situation of having a cracked sleeve and needing a WHOLE new engine, especially not knowing half the **** back then that i do know about how these things work

USMARINE1108
05-26-2005, 04:09 PM
... got 94.1 wjjo playing.

You just made me homesick. I love 94.1. :headbang They used to broadcast over the internet, but stopped a few years ago. Okay, now back to motors......................

turbogarrett
05-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Most of the disappointing dyno #'s seem to have one thing in common- Patriot Performance. I would love some afr's, but couldn't justify the extra $800 for an engine that probably won't see more than a 100 shot. Hoping for another 30 rwhp when my stage 2.5 5.3 heads arrive and another trip to speed inc. for tuning.

GTSLOW
05-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Do the simple 402 stroker and be done with it.

:thumbsup :thumbsup

SSmike1
05-27-2005, 07:16 AM
WOW tom
nice Job!it was fun while it lasted! :thumbsup
:rolf

hey, btw, the T56 has been working great!
Thanks! :headbang

i am still trying to get that clutch disk replaced.

anyone have a New f-body Clutch?
and a reciept?

my Clutch disk HUB broke inside.

i bought mine 1.5 years ago, and they wont honor the warranty
cause it is over 1 year old.

its a brand new clutch disk, and it broke! inside!
:eek:

88camaro
05-27-2005, 09:37 AM
You could go and get another one wait a few days put your broking one in the box. Then go back and ask for your money back. :goof

GRNDNL
05-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Tom...If it was me I would find a used stock motor, stick your cam and heads on it and run it this summer then do a good motor this winter.......Thats what I did with my GN last year after I split my good motor in half......

UnderPSI
05-27-2005, 01:44 PM
:wstupid

BAD LS1
05-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Well i might be able to build my self a new motor thats bullet proof w/o huge CI though.

I can pick up a brand new iron block 6.0 LQ4 for 700, use my stock crank, all covers and bearing caps etc... put new forged pistons and rods in it, use my stock heads with arp studs and cometic gaskets for about 2500 complete. 364 CI

The stock cranks seem to be decent pieces, ive never heard or read of one failing yet.

This route i could gather the money very quickly to build it because i dont have a $1000 stroker crank that has to go in it.

I just want something thats simple but bullet proof that can take ALOT of spray and not fatigue like the AL block.