PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Headers......???

Car Guy
05-25-2005, 09:37 PM
I have a 88' Grand Marquis Wagon (aka Colony Park) that currently has the stock non-HO 5.0L (it's a TURD but can still mop up a few ricers). The exhaust manifolds are junk along with the rest of the exhaust and figured that I would just install some headers/duals as long as I was at it.....

What is the difference between short/long tube headers and how good are the factory ones compared to aftermarket? I also have a highly modified 5.0L that I will be putting in as soon as the stocker starts getting tired (which will be sooner than later) and was hoping to use the headers I purchase on that one.......

Thanks

DirtyMax
05-25-2005, 10:46 PM
Short tubes are made to bolt on to the factory mid pipes. Generally an easier install (not to mention cheaper) and your gain is minimal (less than 10) HP in most cases but you do free up alot of restriction down the road over the "pinched" factory pieces.

Long tubes are a PITA to install in many cases but for high HP applications, tend to flow better. Putting them on a mostly stick motor will cause a loss in low end torque.

This should get you a brief idea. Good luck! A sleeper wagon would be cool but even a heavily modified 5.0 will be working to push that tank around!

Car Guy
05-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the info and a TANK is right, but it's going to be too cool to see the reaction on everyone’s face with the engine setup I have for it. I'm just worried about the rest of the drive train holding up to it, I guess we'll see in due time. I'm thinking I might try a 5-speed setup (if I can get it to work), and how weird would that be? A 5-speed S-charged Woody Wagon, and yes it has the wood grain on the side. Sometimes I wonder if I was dropped on my head at birth, well if I was, I'm glad it happened......!!!