PDA

View Full Version : how can we get the stupid muffler law changed?

bi5ly
05-23-2005, 01:13 PM
I got pulled over in german town for having a "loud exhaust". The cop gave me 3pt ticket and told me that the law says that you cannot put any mffler louder than stock on your car at all. This law is dumb and I wouldn't expect it from a state where so many insanely loud ass motorcycles run around all day and all night in large packs with no complaints.
Is there a chance that, if we get enough people together, we could do something about this? I'll be damned if I'm going back to stock.

Silver350
05-23-2005, 01:18 PM
I have a pretty deep tone exhaust on my truck and a pretty loud exhaust on my Buell and I havent been pulled over yet for it. (*knocks on wood*) I think most of the stuff with exhaust is depending on the police officer and wether or not they want to enforce it. I know at one time they actually were pulling bikes over (I think Durring the 100th) and had a DB meter and was checking the db of the bike and if it was over an certain amount they would issue a ticket.

TransAm12sec
05-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Somewhere else it said to get SEMA involved. But yea I'd sign for it; I don't have the time or money to fight it.

Crawlin
05-23-2005, 01:29 PM
it's a law that will never get changed. it's gotta be a law to help prevent some stupid examples of OVERLY loud vehicles, but at the same time, too easy to make money off of it. I bet if you did a study by generations of owners with loud vehicles, it'll distinctly show a trend towards the younger crowd getting pulled over more often. then again, that could go against the younger demographic for hte majority being stupid idiots and racing all over the place on the roads.

bottom line, it will NEVER change

bi5ly
05-23-2005, 01:48 PM
It wouldn't hurt to try.
I tried to email sema for some information but it's not working.

dr doom
05-23-2005, 02:00 PM
a shop in janesville is working on this too in connection with sema........if you want to you can check them out @ www.boosteddevelopment.com........

SlowStee
05-23-2005, 02:07 PM
seems like the whole exhaust ticket thing is getting worse lately?

TransAm12sec
05-23-2005, 02:19 PM
it's a law that will never get changed. it's gotta be a law to help prevent some stupid examples of OVERLY loud vehicles, but at the same time, too easy to make money off of it. I bet if you did a study by generations of owners with loud vehicles, it'll distinctly show a trend towards the younger crowd getting pulled over more often. then again, that could go against the younger demographic for hte majority being stupid idiots and racing all over the place on the roads.

bottom line, it will NEVER change

Giving that much power to the officer doesn't make much sense to me, although, I'm not too educated on these laws.

I mean, I could be standing around a parking lot waiting for a friend. If I were waiting for five minutes, could I get a ticket for loitering and have no argument against it?

Crawlin
05-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Think of it this way....

as unfair as it may be, those with the power and authority to enforce the laws that are written, will take into context what he/she individually feels about the issue. Your response and attitude towards the officer while being pulled over also has an effect.

You get pulled over for doing 60 in a 45mph, but the cop let's you off with a warning. do we argue that? no cause it's in our favor. i'll take the noise violation(which i thought was a non-point offence) over the speeding ticket any day of the week.

i still say it's bogus and bullshit, but it does serve a purpose, because there are those cars around that are just WAAAY too loud and obnoxious

SlowStee
05-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Think of it this way....

as unfair as it may be, those with the power and authority to enforce the laws that are written, will take into context what he/she individually feels about the issue. Your response and attitude towards the officer while being pulled over also has an effect.

You get pulled over for doing 60 in a 45mph, but the cop let's you off with a warning. do we argue that? no cause it's in our favor. i'll take the noise violation(which i thought was a non-point offence) over the speeding ticket any day of the week.

i still say it's bogus and bullshit, but it does serve a purpose, because there are those cars around that are just WAAAY too loud and obnoxious
It is a no point violation right??

Crawlin
05-23-2005, 02:37 PM
the above poster said it was 3pt(which i don't get considering it's NOISE not like it's as big of danger as some speeding tickets that are same points) i was given a warning about my car(as a whole, haha, not just exhaust) so i don't know actual

Chris

SlowStee
05-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Guess I better not roll with the cut-out open anymore :)

Yooformula
05-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Wheres the dirty pigpen when you need him.....

Does and exhaust ticket carry points Jim or what?

Cryptic
05-23-2005, 03:26 PM
snowmobile peeps have to deal with this same issue. "Stock" doesnt mean sh!t. there needs to be a defined acceptable level across the board.

just like they have tint meters to check the darkness of tint, they should have dB readers to accurately measue sound at 10 yards or what not.

"Louder" is not specific, its like a cop giving you a speeding ticket by estimating your speed. More accuratley you get pulled over for the tone of the exhaust.

No one has the right to tell you have to replace your rusted muffler with an OEM.

[Stan's Dad from Southpark]I'm sorry, I thought this was America[/Stan's Dad]
http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/905/905_randy_arrested.jpg

Pig Pen
05-23-2005, 03:31 PM
I am here Yoo. I'm sorry, I finally took off my Sith robe and hung up my light saber to have returned from the land of the Nerds.

I have never heard of a EQ (equipment) citation carrying points unless you fail to fix your problem. This law will never change. It has been around from the American Graffiti era. Get over it.

PS, I also don't agree with this law along with the front plate displayed and some other just stupidly worded laws. I do understand the window tint, it is nice to see what people are doing in thier car at 2:45am.

Cryptic
05-23-2005, 03:43 PM
I am here Yoo. I'm sorry, I finally took off my Sith robe and hung up my light saber to have returned from the land of the Nerds.

I have never heard of a EQ (equipment) citation carrying points unless you fail to fix your problem. This law will never change. It has been around from the American Graffiti era. Get over it.

PS, I also don't agree with this law along with the front plate displayed and some other just stupidly worded laws. I do understand the window tint, it is nice to see what people are doing in thier car at 2:45am.

DNR carries sound measuring devices to enforce it on trails (although you never see them) I was just suggesting they do the same for police so the law is not subjective.

As far as tint goes: If I get pulled over, all 4 windows go down as courtesy. I fully understand why an officer needs to see in the car as he approaches it.

Pig Pen
05-23-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure I'd even agree with DB's as a level. This law was made up as a way to hinder racing in the 60's with guys who were running open exhaust. It didn't work. Basically, every emission's type law comes from California, write Arny and see if he'll go through with his original proposal from 8 months ago to do away with CARB's. If California falls, the rest of the States will follow. Wisconsin will be with in the last 3 to change this law, but it would eventually change.

HP ADDICT
05-23-2005, 05:48 PM
But if it were an insanely loud Harley it would be ok....gets on flame suit. A vehicle is a vehicle, if a bike can be loud a car should be able to be equally as loud on the same roads. You can say all you want about a bike using it for safety blah blah blah and whatever still doesn't change the fact that noise is noise no matter what it comes out of. Set a DB limit and stick to it or atleast don't enforce it only on cars.
Randy

Crawlin
05-23-2005, 06:21 PM
here's a question...

can a tape recorded conversation of a police officer admitting to not ever pulling a harley over because "it's a harley" get you off on discrimination charges or "profiling" of some sorts? that'd be the interesting question.

Chris

DoubleAron
05-23-2005, 07:02 PM
That has always amazed me, that way too loud go nowhere fast Harley junk. I cannot believe how loud they can be and you know as well as I do that blah blah blah they are made here so its ok to let it slide. I have never heard a car on the street that is as loud as 75% of the Harleys out there and have you ever and I mean ever seen a Harley pulled over? And broken down on the side of the road doesn't count.
Fire away!!

xsbc63x
05-23-2005, 07:03 PM
get some of the pus*y cops to pull their heads out of their a*ses

nismodave
05-23-2005, 07:10 PM
I cant believe that Germantown handed out a ticket for that.

I hear cars speeding and LOUD AS HELL in Pilgrim road here and I never see a cop. Its like a damn dragstrip.

Im guessing your car is a Foreign car???

HP ADDICT
05-23-2005, 07:13 PM
wow the last time I mentioned a LOUD harley I got jumped on in here....at least some people agree...

Pig Pen
05-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Hey ass.holes, how about you guys stop voting in horrible canidates to represent you, do your fuc.king research where and how a canadate stands on this issue, and then vote for that person. They are the ones to make the laws and pass them.

PS. You all are ghey, Harley's sound better than F Body's, and if you can't bet them join them. Until you actually do your civic duty and see what your getting when you vote, if even 1/4 of you on here actually do that, stop complaining and pointing the fingure at Law Enforcement who has the heat added to them about this very topic. But none are likely to do that and continue to b.itch like a group of women who don't get it. Some clown comes on here asking what he can do? You can actually call your Rep, mayor, or other offical, how about that for a start rather than another lame ass post that a bunch of mullet heads will respond with the typical f.uck the police answer.

HP ADDICT
05-23-2005, 08:05 PM
wow someone has pms...I for one never said anything negative about police. I did say EQUAL enforcement. I guess that might be hard for you to understand since you instantly connected everything to a harley vs fbody who sounds better argument. Who cares what sounds better. Noise is noise.
I also like how you assume so much about everyone, but hey your a cop you must be right.

Crawlin
05-23-2005, 08:11 PM
:usa Hi Jimmy hat, I researched the candidates, and unfortunately for us, NO ONE GIVES A **** ABOUT US. They will never care about a noise violation ticket law being removed because it'd upset too many of the general public that looks upon anything with something louder than a Toyota Prius as a waste on the global environment, no matter how much cleaner our cars are. That and they'd like to tackle the real issues, like raising kids in schools by eliminating the soda/junk food from schools so that kids don't get fat because their parents are too god damn lazy and fat themselves to take them on a walk or a bike ride while at a young age. It's amazing how much faster I can get a meal at McD's by just walking inside compared to waiting in line for the 50 soccer moms too lazy to get out of their tanks and off their tank a$$es

Hey ass.holes, how about you guys stop voting in horrible canidates to represent you, do your fuc.king research where and how a canadate stands on this issue, and then vote for that person. They are the ones to make the laws and pass them.

PS. You all are ghey, Harley's sound better than F Body's, and if you can't bet them join them. Until you actually do your civic duty and see what your getting when you vote, if even 1/4 of you on here actually do that, stop complaining and pointing the fingure at Law Enforcement who has the heat added to them about this very topic. But none are likely to do that and continue to b.itch like a group of women who don't get it. Some clown comes on here asking what he can do? You can actually call your Rep, mayor, or other offical, how about that for a start rather than another lame ass post that a bunch of mullet heads will respond with the typical f.uck the police answer.

Cryptic
05-23-2005, 09:18 PM
PS. You all are ghey, Harley's sound better than F Body's, and if you can't bet them join them.

you just proved my point. You get pulled over for tone, not the dB.

Cjburn
05-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Talk about a Nurenberg defense there Pig Pen. "I'm just doing what I'm told." Very similar to what all the Nazi's had to say...

ScottyB14
05-23-2005, 09:50 PM
It depends on the type of cop you get. I got stopped for having multiple things wrong with the gem i drive and an exhaust leak was one of them but the cop said it was no big deal. But it is a law and one that will not be changed especially because its one that cops and the city make some money off of. My opinion if they want to be fair about the law concerning bikes vs cars, they should have a set DB at which everything "should" be under, bikes and cars. I race motorcycles and the DNR has stepped in on that and if our bikes are over the DB limit, you dont race. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

USMARINE1108
05-23-2005, 10:24 PM
I think the main reason behing the "loud exhaust" law is emmisions. Everyone knows that 90% of loud cars out there have no cats. I just think that's where it mainly comes from. Personaly, I close my electric cutout at night, in residental areas, just stuff to be courteous. the only time I've felt bad about leaving it open was as I was passing a mini van. That's gotta be loud as hell, since the cutout angles out the passanger side. Besides that, I don't see a big problem with it. However, I think a DB law would be the best way to go.

SlowStee
05-23-2005, 10:35 PM

**** the Police!!!! :)

theavenger333
05-24-2005, 02:37 AM
well the worst part here is a muffler violation is NOT a point offense. so whomever started this thread (i forgot already) needs to take that back. it should be a fix-it ticket unless you are a repeat offender even.....

xsbc63x
05-24-2005, 09:51 AM
hey pigpen, **** the candidates

Cryptic
05-24-2005, 12:33 PM
meow

bi5ly
05-24-2005, 01:09 PM
well the worst part here is a muffler violation is NOT a point offense. so whomever started this thread (i forgot already) needs to take that back. it should be a fix-it ticket unless you are a repeat offender even.....
You can come and see the slip he gave me if you want. Someone else on the nasioc website also recently got a 3 point ticket.

No, I take that back. The notice does not say anything about points. But the officers words were "If you do not fix the muffler in 15 days this will turn into a $77.00 3 point ticket"

You don't all have to take my word for it. Some of you will more than likely find out for yourself in the next couple of weeks or so.

Fu(K the police
good bye

theavenger333
05-24-2005, 01:17 PM
well you should definatly go to the station and see whats up with that

Cleveland Dave
05-24-2005, 04:11 PM
You can come and see the slip he gave me if you want. Someone else on the nasioc website also recently got a 3 point ticket.

No, I take that back. The notice does not say anything about points. But the officers words were "If you do not fix the muffler in 15 days this will turn into a $77.00 3 point ticket"

You don't all have to take my word for it. Some of you will more than likely find out for yourself in the next couple of weeks or so.

Fu(K the police
good bye

just go to a few different stations and see if someone will sign it off...most likely they will. i used to get my loud as all hell apexi n1 signed off 3x

Al
05-24-2005, 11:14 PM
just like they have tint meters to check the darkness of tint, they should have dB readers to accurately measue sound at 10 yards or what not.

[Stan's Dad from Southpark]I'm sorry, I thought this was America[/Stan's Dad]
[IMG]

I agree with the dB measured at a specific distance.

In reguards to Stan's dad, mabey we can get the ACLU on this one...I forgot, I'm white.

Al
05-24-2005, 11:29 PM
How many signitures do we need to get the law "adjusted"?

HWY 100 would be a good place to start.

BTW- an 18 wheeler will almost always be louder than a car with some exhaust. I agree that this is the police picking on the little guys.

Here is something that I wanted to try and get passed with signitures:

Anyone carrying any loose items in the bed of any vehicle need to cover it with a tarp. In my family, our cars have been hit by debris ranging from a small pebble chipping my windshield about three weeks ago to a three foot long, 50 lb piece of iron smashing the hood of my sisters Saturn. We have probably spent more than 3,000$ in repairs because people were careless about their cargo.

A note on the incident on my car: I was not following too closely, the dump truck was heading in the opposite direction!

HITMAN
05-25-2005, 12:41 AM

Nice response there, you donut eating simpleton. You are not part of the solution to better police/public relations, you are part of the problem. I love your criteria for issuing noise tickets:

"Hmmm, I'll let the dirt-bag on a tiller go, because I think his slow-assed chunk of sh!t sounds cool, but I'm going to write an equipment violation for Mr. F-Body because I don't like the way his exhaust sounds, even though it was quieter than the stupid Harley".

Yep, it's that sort of reasoning that makes me love law enforcers... :chair:

MT98Z
05-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Nice response there, you donut eating simpleton. You are not part of the solution to better police/public relations, you are part of the problem. I love your criteria for issuing noise tickets:

"Hmmm, I'll let the dirt-bag on a tiller go, because I think his slow-assed chunk of sh!t sounds cool, but I'm going to write an equipment violation for Mr. F-Body because I don't like the way his exhaust sounds, even though it was quieter than the stupid Harley".

Yep, it's that sort of reasoning that makes me love law enforcers... :chair:

AMEN,you couln't have been more accurate.

Al
05-25-2005, 02:02 AM
I think the cops shouldn't mind the kids with the loud fart cans too much because it helps you find them when they are being stupid. Also, let the kid put the fart can on his civic along with all of his other "poorly" spent money...would you rather have him spend his money "wisely" on a more powerful car...aka- more kids dieing from auto accidents...

GTSLOW
05-25-2005, 04:15 AM
They will never care about a noise violation ticket law being removed because it'd upset too many of the general public that looks upon anything with something louder than a Toyota Prius as a waste on the global environment,

It would upset those old geazers who sit on their lawns and soak up our social security. Plain fact, why it really matters if it upsets them:

THEY ARE THE ONES WHO ACTUALLY VOTE & GO COMPLAIN AT CITY HALL

Yet back in the day they were the ones with their slow azz, loud ass he11, heavy azz carb'd beaters rollin around. :loser's

But if it were an insanely loud Harley it would be ok....gets on flame suit. A vehicle is a vehicle, if a bike can be loud a car should be able to be equally as loud on the same roads.

I agree with you 100%

hey pigpen, **** the candidates

That is the funniest thing I've seen in a while :rolf x1000000

SSmike1
05-25-2005, 06:35 AM
[QUOTE=96s10]It would upset those old geazers who sit on their lawns .
Plain fact, why it really matters if it upsets them:

THEY ARE THE ONES WHO ACTUALLY VOTE & GO COMPLAIN AT CITY HALL

thats the KEY

go to your Common Council meetings!