PDA

View Full Version : Header Problem!

GHOSST
05-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Who thinks this is right? I bought these headers off a guy who had them on a 97 Camaro z28, and I had Speed Inc. (A camaro shop mind you), put them on. What should I do about this??? If the guy had port work done, shouldn't he have told me? And shouldn't he have not sold me these headers? Should the shop have known, and told me about the miss match? They got the gaskets right at least. Oval shaped ports on the header, "D" shaped ports on the heads.....Any advice?

T-Bag
05-19-2005, 10:36 PM
and I had Speed Inc. (A camaro shop mind you), put them on.

There's your problem right there :thumbsup

GHOSST
05-19-2005, 10:44 PM
There's your problem right there :thumbsup lol, I heard good things about em.... people recommended me to em..... sucks!

SloFarmTruck
05-19-2005, 11:47 PM
Looks like only one port was fubard. So could it be possible that you just blew the gasket...happens alot on LT1's (seriously it does don't deny). What brand/type gasket did you use. Did you do your job and check the header bolts after driving the car for a few days. They do loosen up. Not defending speed inc here or saying that you are at fault, I am just giving my pennies worth.

GHOSST
05-19-2005, 11:55 PM
The two outer ports where the same sooty look, and two inners where ok, just a little soot. Mr. Gasket head gaskets, ARP bolts, all new stuff, supposedly SpeedInc.'s best stuff, they recommended it, check? Honestly no.

SloFarmTruck
05-20-2005, 12:02 AM
That might have been the problem...unfortunately. I know on my caddy motor I have had to tighten the header bolts at least 4 times until they finally stayed tight. Just a thought. I am guessing that your two middle flanges are joined together. which would make them a stonger piece and flex less than the outside flanges. I am thinking that that was your whole problem. When you removed the headers from the car how tight were the bolts? I would stay away from the Mr. Gasket gaskets also. just a thought. Try using either fel-pro race gaskets or the stock GM metal ones. Might help you out. :thumbsup

SlowStee
05-20-2005, 11:46 AM
If you didnt tighten the header bolts like a muffugger every day after driving, the header gaskets would have blown....there is NO bolt that doesnt back out after a header job....(my stage 8's even backed out)

GHOSST
05-20-2005, 01:00 PM
well, I got new Hooker Headers being installed now, I'll remember to check the bolts regularly. But even still, is that port size a problem with the old ones???

Crawlin
05-20-2005, 01:12 PM
normally, on the exhaust side of the ported head, the PORT itself is messed around with, but the actual area at the end of the port, where the header gets bolted to, isn't normally touched.

sidewayzbimmer
05-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Jimmy give me a call! You getting the car fixed already?
bryan

GHOSST
05-20-2005, 03:33 PM
normally, on the exhaust side of the ported head, the PORT itself is messed around with, but the actual area at the end of the port, where the header gets bolted to, isn't normally touched. Well, then thats ruled out then.

SLOWC5
05-20-2005, 04:41 PM
try a straight edge over the blown out part( with the soot) see if you can see light under the straight edge. If there is just have the flanges cut flat on a mill.

JEFF

Kory 88Iroc lt1
05-20-2005, 07:56 PM
I had that problem on my car until I went with some earls gaskets from summit. pn ear-29da3berl for lt1 d port heads My slp headers are sort of a square port and the heads are d port. The gaskets are aluminum surrounds with soft graphite inserts. since I went with these I haven't had any problems.
Hope this helps.
Kory

GHOSST
05-21-2005, 08:12 AM
Well, I been hearing about those kind of tough gaskets, so I' got a set. Thanks for the Part# Kory, big help!

Kory 88Iroc lt1
05-21-2005, 10:41 AM
No problem, I hope it helps.
Kory

jon_we4
05-21-2005, 11:22 AM
You brought used headers to a shop - and why is the header leak the shops fault?

The shape of the exhaust port on the head isnt going to cause sealing issues.

y2kws6
05-21-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't want to sturr up too much trouble, but wouldn't a leak like that make some type of header leak noise? I know when I installed mine I had a very small leak and it sounded horrid. That would be both the shops fault for letting the customer pick it up that way and the customer to except it that way.

One thing I can say is that Speed Inc. will correct the issue, but it shouldn't happen in the first place. Like, three stripped transmission pan bolts (one not repairable), two out of four bolts snap off/if they were ever there of the drive shaft loop by the time I get home, all three torque converter bolts rounded like you wouldn't believe, and trans cooler lines leaking because clamps are not tight enough (cheap clamps that were over-tightened and broke - could be from the kit?).

Sorry for the rant, but I hold things in too long.

Dan

GHOSST
05-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Well, you can ask sidewayzbeamer, he went with me to pick the car up, it did rattle like hell when I reved it... thought the y pipe was loose or something. Thought nothing of it, plus living in Mil, and traveling back and forth to shaumburg is time consuming, I just wanted my car, and to drive it, seemed cool. I just expected A-plus work from em, I know they get pretty good clientel there, but they should treat my car like any others.

SlowStee
05-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Well, you can ask sidewayzbeamer, he went with me to pick the car up, it did rattle like hell when I reved it... thought the y pipe was loose or something. Thought nothing of it, plus living in Mil, and traveling back and forth to shaumburg is time consuming, I just wanted my car, and to drive it, seemed cool. I just expected A-plus work from em, I know they get pretty good clientel there, but they should treat my car like any others.
Rattles and **** seem to be inevitable with LT's...I was at midas for 2 and 1/2 hours sorting out clinking, rattles and **** like that...and I still have a loud rattle sound at certain RPMs.