PDA

View Full Version : I got ripped off!!!!

HP ADDICT
05-16-2005, 04:55 PM
I know that alot of you guys don't know me, but I wanted to share this with you. You may have noticed that I was selling alot of LT1 parts, CDW even asked what I had planning. I try not to let the cat out of the bag to early so I kind of brushed the question off. Well here what I was planning. Way back in February, the 7th actually, I placed an order with a sponsor on CZ28.com and ls1tech for a fully forged 396. I figured I could give some of you ls1 guys a run(because they are all so fast :rolleyes: ). Well the company was AP Engineering and they promised me a quick 4-6 week build, and great quality. I figure this is a great deal and put a deposit down of $2050.00.

Well anyways the motor was supposed to be done the latest on March 21st, which comes and goes. I give them an email and am told no problems just a few set backs finding blocks etc. I say ok just let me know when your done. Another month passes and I am like wtf is going on, so I give another email. This time I am told of cam delays etc and that it should be done by May 14th. In the meantime I had already pulled my motor out of the car in order to ship APE the cam retainer and rear main adaptor. I decided to go with a custom cam instead of the cc306 that was in my old motor, and needed to make sure I could use the same size base circle as before on the new motor. I email APE, who responds that I can use a small base circle cam...thats all. Well anyone with any motor knowledge knows you can always use a small base circle, I needed to know if I could use a normal base circle. I email again and get no response, try calling and the same. I go online to get an alternate email or fax #, I do a google search for APE and ALOT of the results linked me to the Sponsor Feedback forum at ls1tech.

There I learn that the company was evicted, and lots of people had motors and cars at the shop. These people also could not get in contact with the company, and the ones who did were also told the shop had delays etc and ended up like me with no motor. Now the only person that I can get ahold of is Nick who was their engine builder. He took my order so he is being nice enough to help me even though the owner of the shop hasn't payed him in a month and he ended up quitting on the 5th of May. He was able to get in the shop and get me the stock parts I sent and is trying to get me as much info as possible to help recover my funds.

Right now the only hope I really have is that my credit card company visa will refund my money by allowing me to dispute charges with APE. The catch is they only have a 60day window to dipute charges. Since I thought everything was ok at the company and was continually delayed by them I am about 30days over the limit. I faxed them all my info reciept etc and hopefully they can make an exception and go after him.
So as it sits you will most likely not see the car out this yr :fire . Hopefully I can get this resolved and get a similar motor built. This post is just a heads up. Make sure you pick a good engine builder. This company was highly recommended and I am suprised it happend but it did to me. Check out the Sponsor Feedback forum at ls1tech.com. They started a seperate forum in the forum just to discuss APE problems.
If you have any advice let me know. Maybe one of you have been here before and can offer a suggestion on how to recover the $$. Good thing it was just the deposit I got raped for and not the whole amount of the motor!
Later,
Randy

GTSLOW
05-16-2005, 04:59 PM
All I can say is you should checked the feedback forum first. :(

Sry bout the bad luck!!!!

Nix
05-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Complete BS partner! I have an idea of how you feel but being out 2g's is a lot of bread. Iam intrested to see how this pans out so if you wouldnt mind please post updates. Good luck man!

HP ADDICT
05-16-2005, 05:08 PM
I will definitly keep you guys updated. I did check feedback on them they were also paying vendors on CZ28, and LS1Tech. Thats why I had no problem dealing with them. Even in the sponsor feedback the oldest negative post about APE was on 4/22/05 which was already 72 days after my order. They(APE) got alot of people! I think the master list of APE customers out of money was 44 and the total amount was around 134,000!!!! Almost all of these people ordered motors the same month as me!! Alot of speculation about the owner and fraud....check out the threads at ls1tech sponsor feedback its insane.

Crawlin
05-16-2005, 05:25 PM
i had gotten a few things from them and seemed to be a new choice in looking to have a motor built. after countless times not responding to emails and PM's and phone calls, i gave up, only to have this **** happen to people.

people are saying that the "guaranteed ship date" was a big scam as well as the sale at the same time. that way they got alot of business and scammed people out of money. the BEST reading is on LS1tech.com in the APE subforum. people had their cars locked down in the shop. pics were posted. Chris (owner) was even there at the time people were taking **** out of the shop and was just laughing along like he was having a good time. hopefully they take that shop car they had. it'll go into the bankruptcy i'm sure

PS - people have already called and disputed their charges last week and got all their money back. although there was something going around about Visa never allowing a charge back for automotive stuff. but then again, it's against the law to actually charge a person money for an item that hasn't shipped. you need to keep on the credit card company, because people have had exceptions made because the "promised delivery date" of the engine came and you were given excuses that is was "just being finished up" and it was all a lie. just keep on them.

Chris

PS - no LT1's will ever be as fast as the LS1's around here

Nick i guess wants to branch out on his own and is now known as Nick@VictoryRacing screenname on LS1tech, although that topic got sunk quicky as it turned to crap with people accusing him of working alongside Chris in scamming people out of money

Teufelhunden
05-16-2005, 05:28 PM
I've had a claim past 60 days, although it was only $150. Filed the dispute just like you and got my money back. Most CC companies will still fight for you after the 60 day window. Hoping for the best man :)

USMARINE1108
05-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Aw man, I'd be pissed!

Yooformula
05-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Holy sh|t!! I just read every thread on this jerkoff Chris and I am so sorry to hear about you getting screwed over. Were you able to file any claims with your cc company?

On a side note......How much does someone have to screw you over before you hop on a plane, knock on his door and beat the almighty intestines out of them? For the love of gawd!!! I may not be a big guy but I'd be dammed if I let someone WALK away from me taking what he taken from some of the members there. And to think he was in the building laughing.........Holy sh|t the balls this guy must have... :eek: :chair: :asshole It was really nice of the locals to help get the cars out for the owners that live across the country.

Crawlin
05-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Rumors:

Chris had a architect in his office showing off BIG floorplans for a new house

Chris bought a $90,000 Tow rig/trailer combo

The "Black Mambo" shop car i know has about 100g's worth of high end **** and custom fabrication work done to it.

ALL Bad stuff. when you start hearing about him not paying fellow sponsors of boards, it's a bad sign.

Saddest part about it, is the shop is right down the street from my Godparents. I had planned to take the car there and stay at my aunt/uncle's overnight and then drive home next day. It is literally THAT close.

Yooformula
05-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Rumors:

ALL Bad stuff. when you start hearing about him not paying fellow sponsors of boards, it's a bad sign.

Yeah no sheot! I almost sharted myself when I saw Paul from Thunder roasting Chris not to mention the other 2 vendors that havent been paid. :mad: :fire

HP ADDICT
05-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Yeah I can't believe he was there laughing. He seems like a real low life.

Crawlin
05-16-2005, 08:55 PM
He was Chris from APE
formerly from Diamond Pistons
who was formerly from katech
who was formerly from another shop(that part i'm not 100% on though)

Really, i don't see why you won't get your money back if you atleast get a chance to talk to someone about the situation. you kept on getting promised goods and kept getting excuses, so because of that and the other lawsuits going on they shouldn't have a problem with it. As long as you tell them and refer them to the LS1tech posts. The biggest thing to let them know about it is that the delaying was Chris' idea all along because the customer couldn't dispute it. That's why your finish date was right around 60 days later

WilliamZ
05-17-2005, 12:23 AM
Wow, sorry to hear about that Randy... :fire

83ZL69
05-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Wow - that really sucks, and I wish you luck in getting your $$ back. A couple years ago, I dealt with a long distance engine builder myself and even though yes, I got the engine, they put cheap "Enginetech" rings in it along with the cheapest bearings on the market I think. Long story short, the cheap rings didn't seat right and it burned oil like no tomorrow....

Guess I'll take a little of the blame because I wasn't specific enough when I told them I wanted "decent quality" rings,bearings and gaskets. I ended up tearing the whole thing down myself to make it right. They were willing to look at it they said, but hey - they had thier chance the first time and blew it, so they lost my trust. Lesson learned on my part.

Anyways, again - hope it works out for you!

SlowStee
05-17-2005, 01:55 PM
There will Be No Fast LT1's this year.... :( ...Its just not meant to be.. :crying

Hope you Get your deposit back dude..

HP ADDICT
05-17-2005, 03:58 PM
I do thank you all for the support...I will be calling the CC company back again tomorrow as I am off all day. Hopefully I can let you guys know whats going on then.

Crawlin
05-17-2005, 04:43 PM
and I know your on ls1tech, so keep up with the info that's getting posted there

HP ADDICT
05-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Well I contacted the CC company again, as I faxed them all the info I had on APE last Wed. They once again gave me some BS about it being over 60days, when I mentioned fraud as was suggested on ls1tech I was told that fraud is only if someone uses your card without your consent. Since I did business with them I can only dispute it. I asked what the status was of the dispute, and the lady tells me she doesn't know, and can't even verify that they got it. She tells me though it can take a couple of weeks to get it assigned to a dispute agent. I am pissed that they can't even tell me that they have begun the process. I ask for a supervisor and am told I can only request to have 1 call me and that it will be 24-48hrs for the call. What a joke! I mean it is only $2000 right? WTF! Just FYI alot of others already got the money refunded, and I feel Visa isn't being very helpful. I will call tomorrow and try again. What kind of company denies your request to speak to a supervisor etc?

Crawlin
05-17-2005, 05:54 PM
When you talk to them, gather some info(possibly names) off of LS1tech and list those names as people who have already been taken care of so you are wondering why yourself is any different. Then go into how the people are in the same situation and that because it was money being used for a service that takes longer than 60 days to complete and because they gave you the runaround, it's screwing you over. it's pretty shitty of them not to be working with you.

HP ADDICT
05-17-2005, 06:01 PM
That is the exactly what I did today. I was really upset to see others getting there money so easy yet I couldn't. I was pretty much shut down before I could explain anything since it was over the 60days. They will only take the information in writing. Which would be fine if they could at least acknowledge the fact that I faxed them info, and let me know that they are going to look into it. I think I will resend them a FAT packet with all the info that I have. I have been printing every post on LS1tech so I hope they like a good read!

HP ADDICT
05-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Well Visa is refunding my money and accepting the dispute. I spoke with a supervisor there today that was very helpful and nice, she told me the money should be back on the card in a day or two. They are going to go after Chris at APE. I have to get them a little more info, but things are starting to look good again. :) Hopefully I can get somthing figured out and somehow get my car out this yr. Anyone do any business with combination motorsports? I will let you guys know how this all turns out in the end.
Randy Molkentine

SloFarmTruck
05-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Thunder Racing
Futral Motorsports
Wheel2Wheel out of Michigan
Rapid Motorsports

Those three are leading the LS1 market in regards to engine building, and I know have doen a couple LT1 motors

CrawlinZ

SmokinRAM114
05-19-2005, 08:42 AM
wow that sucks this is the first time i read this post...134,000 to 1 on his front door..what a fight that would be.

Syclone0044
06-24-2005, 09:42 AM
I read some stuff on APE on LS1Tech recently and it sucks to hear someone right in our own town got scammed. But with your $ back in your pocket the only thing you're out now is wasted time :thumbsup

Did you end up getting the motor built elsewhere? BTW what bore & stroke gives 396 in an LT1?

HP ADDICT
06-24-2005, 01:39 PM
I read some stuff on APE on LS1Tech recently and it sucks to hear someone right in our own town got scammed. But with your $ back in your pocket the only thing you're out now is wasted time :thumbsup

Did you end up getting the motor built elsewhere? BTW what bore & stroke gives 396 in an LT1?
It did waste alot of time...4.030 and 3.875

Syclone0044
06-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Don't feel too bad man, shlt like this has kept me down for 1 year.... and counting :fire

PS: Thanks for those specs. 3.875 is unfamiliar to me