PDA

View Full Version : bike repair....

theavenger333
05-11-2005, 05:31 PM
i cleaned out the rest of our storage since we moved and brought it here, dug out my dad's '79 Kawasaki 400. the bike had sat for 9 years or so with gas, oil etc in it and i got it out about 2 years ago and started messing with it. i got it to run, but its rough. i can't ride yet, but plan to soon, would love to use this bike for to and from work, etc just riding around. its nothing special, but only has like 3k on it. the carbs need balancing for sure, my dad checked with a shop called Milwaukee Cycles or something, the guy said 250 for a front to back "restoration and checkup" he was gonna go over everything mostly for safety reasons to make it truly road worthy again. anybody know somewhere good for this type of work, i have been told 250 is too much.....

Flight_740
05-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Haaa? Do it yourself. Thats the cheapest route.

theavenger333
05-11-2005, 05:52 PM
good call, i don't know how to balance carbeurators on bikes, nor is it easy for me to find parts for a bike 20+ years old. that and i know **** about bikes... so get out of my thread

Flight_740
05-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Little sensetive today? Dont start acting like a little girl on me now. :rolf Working on bikes is very easy and the parts are actually pretty easy to find.

theavenger333
05-11-2005, 06:44 PM
it took me over a month to get a new speedo cord for this bike, as well as a new oil filter. i don't have a bike lift, everyone is into crotch rockets, a simple bike like this is NOT easy to find. and that was from the Kawasaki parts dealer

Silver350
05-11-2005, 06:49 PM
I dont know 250 sounds pretty cheap to me. If it is a 79 it will probally need a new front and rear tire that will probally be over 250. I think the place that you talked with is probally telling you how much it will be just to look over the bike. Plus to get parts and labor the price will increase.

theavenger333
05-11-2005, 06:55 PM
no, its got tires with like 90% tread on them, and they are in good shape, the guy looked at it and that was for just a guess as hoses and stuff, nothing major

BadAzzGTA89
05-11-2005, 07:46 PM
I would rebuild the carbs and it should run great!!
I did mine on my 75 honda CB750 V4 and is good as new now :thumbsup
BTW post some pics :headbang

BadAzzGTA89
05-11-2005, 07:48 PM
A newer shop around is on 83rd and lisbon i will get the name :thumbsup

theavenger333
05-11-2005, 08:10 PM
i appreciate it!

BadAzzGTA89
05-11-2005, 08:25 PM
So were are the pic's?

theavenger333
05-12-2005, 03:27 AM
when i uncover it i'll take pics, in the meantime, anyone else? it sounds like badazzgta can do it but i'd like to hear more

Flight_740
05-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Check out Milwaukee cycle salvage in the hood. They seem to have every part used that you could really need. I have used them in the past.

http://www.milwaukeecycle.com/

theavenger333
04-16-2006, 12:29 AM
BIZZZZZZZZZZZUMP so i am actually going to start taking this thing apart, rebuild the carbs for sure. Also found out, its actually a 76 KZ400. i do plan on going to milwaukee cycle, and its DEFINATLY not in the "hood" its about 2 miles from my house anyway. either way, the Oil filter cover is stuck, seized, somethin, and without a bike lift or something, all i am starting to do is chew up and strip the nut. not to mention, whomever my dad had talked to at this place, is no longer around, and my dad doesn't even remember where it is or what its called..... the oil filter cover is my main concern now, its prob mush by now.

cheap80Z28
04-16-2006, 08:27 AM
the place on 83rd and lisbon is called DWD,(down with dealers). they got a good rep with people I work with.

steve

slow85vette
04-16-2006, 10:46 AM
$250 sounds about right to me. Its not too cheap and its not too expensive either.

Cryptic
04-16-2006, 11:28 AM
I would rebuild the carbs and it should run great!!

:wstupid I wouldn't even hesitate. get yourself new jets

d0nut
04-16-2006, 11:39 AM
That's funny! I've been a bike tech for almost 20 years and have so much fun fixing things for guys that use that phrase....

Thats right up there with a sled coming in with a melted piston "2 strokes are easy to rejet and make fast!"

The best bet with a small bore UJM that has been sitting forever is to find a used ste of carbs that are clean and go through them. Make sure the air filter is clean/new. Change the oil and filter and balance the carbs. Be sure to do a valeve adjustment on it right away. Being that old it may have point ignition instead of CDI. The inside of the tank is a critical area also. Manuf technology was primative on those things and the inside of the tanks tend to rust and flake and just get ugly fast.

Give me a shout if you need the carbs set.

Most of the people who bought small bore stuff lost interest fast and they get pushed into a corner to be ignored. I picked up a GS250 Suzuki for my wife a few years ago for almost nothing and it was the biggest headache in the world to work on. It was fun after it was sorted out. 4 valve twin with a 6 speed..

Little sensetive today? Dont start acting like a little girl on me now. :rolf Working on bikes is very easy and the parts are actually pretty easy to find.