PDA

View Full Version : Return of the ....GNX?!?

Prince Valiant
05-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Thought this might be interesting for a couple of yous guys...

General Information
Price: $38,500
Miles Per Gallon: 17/25 mpg
Curb Weight: 3698 lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/AWD
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual

Engine
Type: DOHC V6
Displacement: 3600 cc
Horsepower: 450 bhp @ 5200 rpm
Torque: 465 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Redline: 6500 rpm

Performance
0-60 mph: 4.2 sec
0-100 mph: 10.2 sec
Quarter Mile: 12.8 sec @ 112.5 mph
Skidpad: .96g
Top Speed: 179 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph: 115 ft
Slalom Speed: 66.4 mph

Buick -

GNX. No other name in automotive history says "80's Supercar" like those three letters. Now the legend is back.

Buicks 2007 GNX is a modern-day incarnation of classic street performance. When you turn the key and hear the throaty dual exhausts announcing the Twin Turbo 3.6L V-6, you'll know you have your hands full. Compared to its '80s namesake, the new GNX sports a suspension that is tighter, an engine that's more powerful and a manual transmission that now boasts two additional gears. The car will hit 60 mph (97 km/h) in about four-and-a-half seconds, and run the quarter mile in under 13 seconds. There's nothing like it in its class.

Total performance

The completely new GNX isn't just about horsepower, of course. Its unique personality includes impressive cornering abilities, a smooth ride and surprising comfort. But the heart of the GNX is indeed a truly awesome Twin Turbo and Intercooled 3.6l V-6 engine, also known as the base powerplant for the Buick Velite Concept. The GNX produces an estimated 450 horsepower and with 465 lb.-ft. of torque, it has no problem leaving a stop with purpose.

Eighteen-inch alloy wheels and performance tires are matched to a fully independent, performance-tuned suspension featuring direct-acting stabilizing bars and power rack-and-pinion steering. Traction control and a limited slip differentials also come standard. And, today's GNX revs through six forward speeds with the close-ratio manual transmission, or you can choose a six-speed Hydra-Matic. Both come with a 3.46:1 final drive ratio.

Performance-oriented interior

The GNX is, first and foremost, a driver's car. Every detail, from the satin-finish steering wheel to the race-inspired metallic pedals, gives the driver a sense of performance from the moment the car is entered. The standard feature list starts off with leather 2+2 bucket seats, in black -color-coordinated with the vehicle's exterior color. The high-tech seats provide lateral support, wrapping around the driver and front passenger and complementing the great handling characteristics of the chassis. Also standard is a six-disc CD-changer with premium 10-speaker sound system, cruise control, a multi-function driver information center, keyless entry system and a host of other features to enhance the driving experience.

Sensuous design

Rather than create an imitation of the original legend, the 2007 GNX provides a contemporary interpretation of the classic buick sports coupe. The distinctive, tautly stretched exterior, aggressive lowered stance and sleek, simple form all help express the clean, athletic styling direction of Buick. Add this to the obvious performance of the vehicle and you have a rear-wheel-drive TT+I V-6-powered premium sports coupe wrapped in a seamless, modern design.

Safety and quality

Bringing the GNX to a safe stop is accomplished through standard four-wheel disc brakes (ventilated front, solid rear), part of a four-channel anti-lock braking system. Other standard safety features include dual front air bags, three-point safety belts for all occupants and an Emergency Mode that automatically shuts down the engine, turns off the fuel pump, unlocks the doors and turns on the dome light any time the air-bag system is deployed.

Production of the 2007 Buick GNX will begin in September 2006 at Holden's award-winning Elizabeth plant in Australia using the latest techniques to ensure both measurable and "perceived" quality. Projected annual production will be 18,000 vehicles.

http://www.westcoast6s.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/gtosadwwrbd.jpg

Personally, I'd rock it :banana

Irish
05-04-2005, 01:06 PM
YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! :headbang

awsomeears
05-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Noooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just leave the GN and GNX at rest and dont F_ck up the name or style.

jbiscuit
05-04-2005, 01:19 PM
OMG that car is so badass!!!!!! I want one!

DirtyMax
05-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Someone on another board posted this and then someone else pointed out that it looks like the position of the car below (GTO) and the one above are identical.

My guess = photoshop and a creative writeup. Due to wishful thinking, I did some web searches and wasn't able to find anything to support this.. :confused

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/03/pontiacgto05_01_1024.jpg

jbiscuit
05-04-2005, 01:24 PM
it would take one he11 of a Photoshop artist to create that GNX posted above

DirtyMax
05-04-2005, 01:35 PM
I agree but look the the position of the seatbacks looking through the windshield out the back of the car, the way the wheels are turned, etc. Just too many similarities between the two photos and not enough proof out on the web yet to justify it. All I saw when searching is the same one picture and rumors galore.

The only reason I question it is because I know a guy who does amazing things with PS and could probably pull this off.

PARALYZER
05-04-2005, 01:38 PM
GM is building this car though.

DirtyMax
05-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Awesome news. But is this an accurate rendition of what it will look like?

Neal Steffek
05-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Photoshop

theavenger333
05-04-2005, 01:40 PM
that model picture was released awhile ago. this has been in the rumor mill for awhile also. and yes, they WILL be building that car, not necessarily in 450hp form, but it will be built

BAD LS1
05-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Isnt the plug pulled on Buick though??? they are done in a year ot two like olds?

Karps TA
05-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Is it going to be AWD like in the specs, or RWD like in the description? Sounds like BS.

Prince Valiant
05-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Isnt the plug pulled on Buick though??? they are done in a year ot two like olds?Bob lutz has said either buick or pontiac...but then again, he's not in a position to do anything about it anymore. And figure that pontiac and chevy are nearly the same thing nowdays....

BUT, to whomever thinks that the GTO and the buick above look the same, well DUH!

Both are basically holden vehicles, hence:

production of the 2007 Buick GNX will begin in September 2006 at Holden's award-winning Elizabeth plant in Australia And it's not like this would be the first time GM has essentially badged-egineered a chassis and used seperate/division motors (hell...or even just corporate motors)

Personally, I don't know that it'll be built...it'd be nice, that's for sure...but articles come out like this all the time for vehicles that don't see production. But IF pontiac takes the plunge, it would be nice for this to soothe the wounds that move would cause...

DirtyMax
05-04-2005, 02:13 PM
BUT, to whomever thinks that the GTO and the buick above look the same, well DUH!

I was referring to the position of the cars in the respective drawings/photos.

Karps TA
05-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Bob lutz has said either buick or pontiac...but then again, he's not in a position to do anything about it anymore. And figure that pontiac and chevy are nearly the same thing nowdays....

Lutz backtracked on that and said it was taken out context. There are no plans to kill another division.

Check out
http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/

This has weekly actual blogs from the upper mgmt of GM. They comment on the truths and rumours that are going on about GM. You can also comment back to them, and they do read the stuff.

Flight_740
05-04-2005, 02:18 PM
I was referring to the position of the cars in the respective drawings/photos.

I see what you are saying and I agree.

Prince Valiant
05-04-2005, 02:22 PM
I was referring to the position of the cars in the respective drawings/photos. I see your points...but personally, I see differences, specifically of the tires (passenger front, lower side)....not that that couldn't be photoshoped, but it becomes increasingly difficult.

But lets face it...so what if it is? In this day and age, and when so many cars begin as "concepts", why does the manufactuer have to have the real car out before they issue a press release? Why NOT just take an existing photo of a car and give the famous "artist rendtition"?

Just like popular hotroddings "Charger" and "Camaro" (which is featured on our title banner above from time to time) the REAL cars never existed...but were just 1/18 scale models or what not....this may just be what buick says will be out there, and offered it's rendition in one of the more realistic fashions available....just to make it more tangible.

DirtyMax
05-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Don't get me wrong.. I would love to see a car like this (or very similar) get built. I just hope it turns out something like this rendition. But with the overwhelming success of the GTO :rolleyes: , I wonder if GM is going to give it another whack.

I was in love with the GN's when I got into cars but they really held their value so the Mustang became the type of cars I started toying with due to the affordability factor.

animal
05-04-2005, 02:33 PM
But old people won't buy it, so how could it be a buick? :goof

Al
05-04-2005, 03:16 PM
I didn't find anything anywhere about a 2007 GNX other than that same picture.

BUT...

The blogsearch did reveal a Saab "2010," which is supposedly a v8 AWD turbo car intended to eat up BMW M5s.

Unfortunately, the search revealed that it was either a very good photoshop or a modified GTO.

Pantera99GS
05-04-2005, 03:41 PM
But old people won't buy it, so how could it be a buick? :goof

:fire :chair:

:)

92lxcoupe
05-04-2005, 04:19 PM
The main reason I don't see GM building this is that they recently postponed the restyle/redesign of the GTO and postponed/killed the Camaro (again). They did this so that they could concentrate on their trucks. It would be cool, but I doubt it will happen any time soon.

ponyride00
05-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I like it. If they do bring it back it I think it would help Buick out a little as long as it doesnt flop like the GTO.

john96ws6
05-04-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm pretty sure it was just a contest. I don't think it will be a production car.

http://forums.gminsidenews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Al
05-04-2005, 10:36 PM
I like it. If they do bring it back it I think it would help Buick out a little as long as it doesnt flop like the GTO.

What they need to do is sell a 4 or 6 cyl model in vast quantities so they can drop the cost of production.

This makes me wonder: Are the majority of the F-bods 6 cyls?

GTSLOW
05-05-2005, 06:19 AM
Thought this might be interesting for a couple of yous guys...

Personally, I'd rock it :banana

Without a doubt!!!! 6speed AWD DOHC 6cylinder!! I bet the exhaust sounds fawking sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!!

Flight_740
05-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Kind of like the old DOHC 3.4 V6. That motor had so much more potential then GM let it have.

SRT4ME
05-06-2005, 02:06 AM
What they need to do is sell a 4 or 6 cyl model in vast quantities so they can drop the cost of production.

This makes me wonder: Are the majority of the F-bods 6 cyls?

I think I read once in a car rag that they were, but not nearly to the extent that Mustangs were/are. :goof
-Jason

SRT4ME
05-06-2005, 02:08 AM
Without a doubt!!!! 6speed AWD DOHC 6cylinder!! I bet the exhaust sounds fawking sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!!

And yeah, I'd rock that car :headbang
Too bad it'll never happen :flipoff2: