PDA

View Full Version : top ten dumbest car names

sriddccrocks
04-24-2005, 07:38 PM
found this list in Car Craft Magazine, thought it was pretty good :goof

"Naming cars must be tough, GSX, CSX, RSX, NSX, GTX, GNX and AMX have already been used and there will be an RDX next year. There's not much inspiration left at the zoo either since cougar, tiger, panther, cheetah, ram, mustang, kodiak, cobra, viper, falcon, eagle and practically every other creature's name has been trademarked. It's gotten so bad that manufacturers have recently been reduced to taking names off the periodic table of the elements (i.e Neon and Cobalt) But the worst names ever?
They're classics."
-John pearley Huffman

1.) '27-'32 Studebaker Dictator: The perfect car for the stylish fascist looking to impress depression-era America

2.) '55-'56 Dodge La Femme: get in this car and you can feel your testosterone leaching away into the upholstery.

3.) '59-'62 Buick Invicta: We knew a kid once in school who had a really nasty case of invicta. He was all right most of the time, but when the invicta would flare up, his pupils would dilate and you could look through his eyes and see his brain.

4.) '70-'78 AMC Gremlin: here's "gremlin" defined by Merriam-Webster: "A cause of error or equipment malfunction (as in aircraft) conceived of as a small mischievous gnome"

5.) '82-'96 Olds Cutlass Ciera: A cutlass is a sword, but what's ciera? Apparently nothing at all except a way to misspell Sierra. And what does a cierra/sierra have to do with a cutlass

6.) '32 Chevrolet Confederate: For the man who's proud to be on the wrong side of history!

7.) '87-'92 olds Toronado Trofeo: trofeo? OK, so it's spanish for "trophy" But toronado? that means absolutely nothing in spanish. So it's nonsense all the way through

8.) '92-'98 Olds Achieva: When did typos become a good source for car names? And what was this car's Achieva-ment? Nothing much beyond slighty better than cutlass calais and slightly worse then a alero.

9.) '94-'02 Cadillac Eldorado ETC: the letters stand for "Eldorado Touring Coupe," but on the decklid it looks like the designers were too bored to finish writing out the name.

10.) '05 ford SYNus: this concept car debuted at the Detroit Auto Show, and Ford actaully expected people to pronounce it "sinuous." Instead, everyone thought "nasal drip"

1st off- don't yell at me if u dont agree, these arent my opinions, 2nd, if u got a idea for a bad car name, lets here it!

Cryptic
04-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Chevy had to change the name of the Nova in spanish speaking countries.
Literally translated (with lousy grammar) it means "no go".

Nix
04-24-2005, 07:57 PM
What about the Dodge Rampage? That thing was true turd with a terrible name. Rampage you think huge and powerful, somethingalong those lines, but all it was was a pickup/car, and a garbage one at that.

sriddccrocks
04-24-2005, 07:57 PM
haha yea i knew about that, kinda wierd that the nova was this bad ass car in the 60s-70s, then turned into that lil pos later on....

USMARINE1108
04-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know what Camaro means? I could never figure that out.

sriddccrocks
04-24-2005, 09:06 PM

w/e it means, its not english lol

fireguyrick
04-24-2005, 09:21 PM
What was so fun about a Feista or Festiva? How about the Edsel? What the hell doea El Camino mean?

I really hate how long some names get to. Take my car for example

Subaru Impreza WRX STi. They even have a Subaru Impreza WRX STi WR1 in Europe. Or how about this length Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII FQ300....can you REALLY FIT all that on a cars trunk? Maybe that is why I have a huge wing on my car...so they can add more letters and such.

Rick

nismodave
04-24-2005, 09:24 PM
I always hated the Animal Car names............Mustang, Cougar, Thunderbird, Firebird, Sunbeam Tiger, ETC.... :chair:

Cryptic
04-24-2005, 10:15 PM

Indian word for "Fill this fvcker up again"

Burgandy85SS
04-24-2005, 10:21 PM
My family owns Two of the top 10 :( . My dad has a 89 Cutlass Ciera and I own a 92 Toronado Trofeo. It sucks to be on this list oh well I'll get over it.

Crawlin
04-24-2005, 11:32 PM
What the hell doea El Camino mean?

Rick

Pretty sure its spanish for "whales vagina". loosely translated of course!!

Al
04-25-2005, 12:06 AM
El Camino = "The Road"

Nova is not pronounced as "no va" in espanol, so it doesn't mean "no go" to them. The guys at work told me that a year ago.

Sorry, but the first time I heard "Capri," I thought of that pants/shorts fad.

How about the Duster? Who would want to drive in a car named after something made out of feathers for cleaning around the house...they could have also named it the "mop."

Cobalt: they should only come in blue!

Avalon - sounds like "Avon" for those who would normally get a pink caddy.

Planets:
Mercury - in use
Venus - possible ladies car
Earth - um, no
Mars - symbol used by Volvo (the "man" symbol with the arrow pointing up)
Jupiter - not yet, intended for fat people
Saturn - they were crap, but now they are getting better
Uranus - I'd be laughing at you for owning one. Just imagine the jokes when you blow an o-ring, fill-er-up, or get rear ended! :rolf
Neptune - Havn't seen it yet. Could be a good name for a sports car.
Pluto - the great economy car that takes 265 years to get where you want to go!
Sedna - you know that there is a 10th planet, right?

VW Golf - I don't really golf that often. But I will buy one after I buy a college sweater!

Toyota MRS - is this one for the ladies only? (MR "Spyder")

Spectra - a twist on the scientific word "spectrum."

Scales
04-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Indian word for "Fill this fvcker up again"

:rolf :rolf :rolf

wikked
04-25-2005, 12:00 PM
One of the most classic examples is the 80's turbo RWD Mitsubishi Starion.
They wanted something to compete with the Mustang, and rumor has it they wanted to call it the "Stallion"...and it was mistranslated over the phone because we all know the Japanese can't say 'r' :rolf
By the time word got back to them, the badging had already been printed, etc. etc. so they just kept it.
They tried to cover up for it by saying it was a merging of 'Star' and 'Orion'.
Riiiight. :goof

wikked
04-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Creative genius's behind these should have been jobless:

Pontiac Firefly
Chevy Celebrity
Dodge Diplomat
Chevy Luv Truck
Ford Aspire

The overseas ones are the best though... just do a search. You'll find gems like the Honda Life Dunk. no joke.

sriddccrocks
04-25-2005, 05:10 PM
:rolf , i think uranus should be a car name!

Al
04-27-2005, 02:49 AM
:rolf , i think uranus should be a car name!

I never thought I'd write somthing worthy of being added to someone's sig.

It's an honor! :D

sriddccrocks
04-27-2005, 06:43 PM
haha ur welcome!