PDA

View Full Version : Dodge goes five-oh...

Al
04-24-2005, 06:02 PM
This is a promo for the new dodge cop car based on the magnum chassis.

It is rated at 425 hp and AWD (skyline killer)!!!

http://autos.msn.com/media/videos.aspx?src=vidpixportal&src=Home&pos=EditLead

fireguyrick
04-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Well, they said the Police Edition is RWD....

Either way I DOUBT that it will be a new GT-R killer (If the GT-R comes out).

That thing has to be insanely heavy. 425hp and it can only muster a 0-60 time of 5 seconds per their spokesperson? Man My STi in stock form is nearly a 1/2 second faster to 60mph with 125 less hp.

I really like how they talk about the ability for this car to have the power to pursue.....last time I heard, PDs were starting to avoid chases at almost all costs.

Rick

Prince Valiant
04-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Same motor, same chasis, pushed the chrysler 300 srt-8 to 13.2@109mph...which me thinks would make it among the most potent cops cars (not knowing what the LS camaro cops cars ran at the Michigan testing, nor do I know what the upcoming mopar will run...but safe to assume both would be close), and THE most potent 4 door cop car ever....

Al
04-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Alright Alright... I was just throwing that one in for fun.

But, at 425 hp and awd, those should fly unless the awd only comes with a lower powered motor.

Flight_740
04-25-2005, 01:28 PM
Just Dodge trying to earn the business of the biggest business in the world...................our government.

It kind of iritates me a little it.

Pig Pen
04-25-2005, 01:59 PM
I really like how they talk about the ability for this car to have the power to pursue.....last time I heard, PDs were starting to avoid chases at almost all costs.

Rick

1.Believe it or not, there are alot of cops that are really sh!tty drivers, you really want someone that can't handle the crappy Vic's to have something with more power?
2.People in general are becoming bigger *****'s everyday. What happened to the days the cops could beat a cop killer's as.s and not have to worry about some liberal *****'es whining about the ****.er being framed (true story) In my opinion and if I were in the situation where the detective had his gun striped from him from the ass.hole he was questioning shot the detective in the head with his own gun, I'd be that cop from The Shield, covering up the camera in the jail cell, pistol whipping the fu.cker until he blacked out and let him bleed out.
3.Really think about how much this car is going to cost. Its not going to be cheap like the Vic's and Impala's.

fireguyrick
04-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Just wanting to clarify what I said about power to pursue. I was being sarcastic. When I read my statement in Pig Pens qoute, I realized that it sounded like I really felt cops needed more powerful cars to chase people down. They need to make a sarcasm smilie or something.

Rick

Prince Valiant
04-25-2005, 03:10 PM
3.Really think about how much this car is going to cost. Its not going to be cheap like the Vic's and Impala's.Well, one with a 6.1 hemi won't be the cheapest...but in the SRT-8 300 they sell for 39,995...obviously they'll sell the car itself cheaper when stripped down for PD duty...and normal cost enhancers for any other police equippment. But for the normal 345hp, 5.7 hemi, which still makes it among the most capable pursuit cars out there, they shouldn't have any problem getting them for aroun 29-30G/per car...less depending on volume. Certainly cheaper than most blazer/etc.

The run of the mill 3.5 v6 I am sure can be had for less than 25G. They perform pretty decent, running high15's putting it in the same class as the crown vic's w/ v8's.

But mopar isn't simply entering a new field for them...they used to be the dominant seller in the 60 through the 70's. They were still a force in the 80's up until they stopped making the old diplimats and fury's.

IIRC, a dodge polara STILL holds the michigan state troopers testing's top speed record, running 144mph equiped with full light bars/etc...I don't know, If you doubt it, google and check, might be different now...

Al
04-25-2005, 11:01 PM
I just remember seeing the cops having trouble pulling over the hot-shots in the wrx's and evo's because the vic is crappy in the rain and snow.

I think the vic (as well as the magnum) are too much car for some cops.

I went to Vail, CO, about 8 years ago and all of the cops drove Saabs!

BAD LS1
04-26-2005, 12:01 PM
They will prolly only be used as high speed pursuit vehicles like the camaros....

If they cost 30K they wont sell many.... Considering the Imps and Vics are much cheaper...

I remember this time last year i went to Ewald ford in hartford which is 5 min from my house and they had at least 30 new crown vics in state trooper blue, all were $24,435 and they were bad ass! i would have loved to buy one for a daily :drool: The sharpest looking ones were the all black ones and they had there with the chrome centers :stare :rock:

Pig Pen
04-26-2005, 02:16 PM
I just remember seeing the cops having trouble pulling over the hot-shots in the wrx's and evo's because the vic is crappy in the rain and snow.

I think the vic (as well as the magnum) are too much car for some cops.

I went to Vail, CO, about 8 years ago and all of the cops drove Saabs!

I've driven both types of police cars available, being the Vic's and Impala's. Believe it or not the Impala's feel, drive, and get up and go like a dream compaired to the Vic's. The Vic's really have no power behind them even with 300 pounds of extra crap we stuff into them. I think stuffing a better motor in a Vic would be cool as a sleeper car. Buying a used one from a department for the cheap, if other places are like the Falls, they get new tires, oil, plugs and wires, and brakes every month, along with being ported nearly every other week and washed daily.

And the Saab's that Vail got were donations from Saab, and they no longer donate cars to them now.

Flight_740
04-26-2005, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=Pig Pen]Buying a used one from a department for the cheap, if other places are like the Falls, they get new tires, oil, plugs and wires, and brakes every month, along with being ported nearly every other week and washed daily.[QUOTE]

Tax money hard at work. :flipoff2:

Pig Pen
04-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey Chief, I put nearly 200 miles a day on those cars, so yes, I am putting in my pay check and not sitting behind a business sleeping or reading.

Prince Valiant
04-27-2005, 09:12 AM
I've driven both types of police cars available, being the Vic's and Impala's. Believe it or not the Impala's feel, drive, and get up and go like a dream compaired to the Vic's. The Vic's really have no power behind them even with 300 pounds of extra crap we stuff into them.
Interesting that you say that...as the vic's with either axle groups outperformed the impala's in the michigan test...

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/FinalPDFbook_2004_mil_76615_7.pdf

That's the 2004 test results...they compare the vic's/intrepids/impala and more...but that's just controlled testing, not real world obviously.

Pig Pen
04-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Interesting that you say that...as the vic's with either axle groups outperformed the impala's in the michigan test...

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/FinalPDFbook_2004_mil_76615_7.pdf

That's the 2004 test results...they compare the vic's/intrepids/impala and more...but that's just controlled testing, not real world obviously.

I saw that too a while back, they used it as the reason why we keep the Vic's alive at the Police Department with a High School football teams helmet detailing. Maybe I'm just driving a beater?

lotsals1
04-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Sorry --I think those are the worst lookin cars on the road
They look like a school bus that has been squished .
Good motors - crummy car