PDA

View Full Version : sorry for the downtime...

Cryptic
04-24-2005, 10:14 AM
I just learned that even though BCM has a $180.00 "Owned" license, it still requires a $30.00/yr renewal.

them bastards... I guess I didnt read the fine print :fire

Yooformula
04-24-2005, 10:38 AM
email sent.

Greg@GLD
04-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Once you buy an owned license, you own the software, period. There are no interuptions of any kind. The $30/year is just to renew support and upgrade options. There would be no "interuption" from not renewing your members area access, so your "downtime" must have been for some other reason...
You can choose to never upgrade your forum, they do not "require" anyone to renew every year...

Sounds like you still haven't read the fine print Andy... ;)

Greg@GLD
04-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Leased License - $85

A leased license grants you the right to run vBulletin on one web server and one web site for each license purchased for 1 year from the date of order. Each license may power one instance of vBulletin on one domain. During the year, you will have unlimited access to the member area, where you can download updated versions of the software. At the end of the year, you must purchase another license in order to continue to run vBulletin.

Owned License - $160

An owned license grants you the right to run vBulletin on one web server and one web site for each license purchased for an unlimited time. Each license may power one instance of vBulletin on one domain. Included in this package is one year's access to the member area, where you can download updated versions of the software. If you require access to the member area after the year has elapsed, you can renew your access for $30 per year.

-----------------------------

Just so you understand, you do not have to pay $30.00 to renew support access.

Cryptic
04-24-2005, 06:00 PM
well then someone at Jelsoft has a lot of explaining to do.

http://brewcitymuscle.com/ was this morning but http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/ was down (brang up a blank white page)

As soon as I paypal'd $30.00, magically the forum came back up.

The 30 bucks is still worth getting the forum updates and what not. But I didnt appreciate the unexpected down time.

Greg@GLD
04-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Andy, they do not disable your software. For the sake of discussion, if you had the leased version, and it "expired" they would give you a grace period to renew, then they would inform you that you must either pay the fee to keep using it or un-install it from the domain. They also have been very great people to work with, at least in the many years I have dealt with them. Contact Steven Machol via the Support System (http://www.vbulletin.com/members/membersupport_contactform.php) and they will explain it better. If you had a "owned license" they would never disable your forum, they simply don't do that.
The 30 bucks is indeed worth it, but if you decide next year that it isn't, and do not renew, your forum will not stop working dude...
If they were to interupt your forum, a blank white screen would not be very effective. Don't you think it would make more sense for them to replace your forumhome with a notice saying something like "Unlicensed or expired software, please contact Jelsoft at once"

;)

Anyway, not flaming you or trying to be an ass, just letting you know.

GTSLOW
04-24-2005, 09:28 PM
I was wondering why it was down.

Prince Valiant
04-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Greg, if you are so sure of what it wasn't, care to elaborate on what it was?

I'm just curious and all...

Cryptic
04-24-2005, 09:57 PM
I will contact Jelsoft and let everyone know wtf happened...

Maybe something to do with having a Leased license first and then having an OWNED license after :confused

The rest of my server was up so I know for a fact it was only VB related.

Cryptic
04-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:00:22 -0500
To: andypiche@yahoo.com
Subject: vBulletin License Information

Hello,

You are receiving this email because one or more of your vBulletin
license(s) will expire in one week. If you own a leased licenses(s), you
will no longer be able to run the software on your web site after the
license has expired unless you choose to renew your license via the
online members area. If you own an owned license(s), you can continue to
use vBulletin on your web site, but you will no longer have access to
software updates via the online members area.

If you would like to view the vBulletin license agreement, please
visit:
http://www.vbulletin.com/license.html

The board sure behaved like it was a leased... Which it was at one time.

GTSLOW
04-25-2005, 02:18 AM
We should have donating members with the color user names :) :D :)

Cryptic
04-25-2005, 08:23 AM
We should have donating members with the color user names :) :D :)

I used to have code that gave another special avatar... when the VB when from version 2 to version 3... it got sh!t canned. I have to write it over again.